Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rear diff brace causing grinding?

YoungOne

Hi All

Installed a Laile rear diff brace (as pictured below) on my car last weekend, pretty sure I did it right, no way to really install it wrong, and I'm getting BIG grinding noises from the rear diff on deceleration, not talking about a little whine, like big noises. I expected a bit of extra NVH but this doesn't sound healthy. Anyone had any issues with these braces putting too much stress into the rear diff (key point here might be that the engine and trans mounts are still standard?). Or am I just being paranoid?

Pic

S76010MTDRS-c_6.jpg

Cheers 

Don't quote me, but I'm going to blindly say it should be normal.

Same results from installing a Group N trans mount on my car, now I have a very noticeable grinding sound from the box on deceleration. My conclusion = the noise was always there (might be normal, might not be, high chance it could lunch itself soon being a 5 speed), the new solid mounts just transfer it to the chassis and into the cabin more than the soft ones did. Could be the same thing for you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calebwrx said:

Same results from installing a Group N trans mount on my car, now I have a very noticeable grinding sound from the box on deceleration. My conclusion = the noise was always there (might be normal, might not be, high chance it could lunch itself soon being a 5 speed), the new solid mounts just transfer it to the chassis and into the cabin more than the soft ones did. Could be the same thing for you?

yep mine too.. engine breaking noise from tranny is quite noticable but not overly terrible. any sound clips of yours @YoungOne

1 hour ago, Batbaruman said:

yep mine too.. engine breaking noise from tranny is quite noticable but not overly terrible. any sound clips of yours @YoungOne

That basically sums it up, its pretty noticeable, which in a pretty loud car I figure that's quite a big noise, if it gets any worse I'll upload but after replies I suspect this is normal.

2 hours ago, calebwrx said:

I think your theory is correct, I've got a 6 speed not a 5 but it does sound like its coming from the rear differential so not too worried about the gearbox, might change the oil in the gearbox and diff at some stage. But seems likes its a pretty common thing so not too worried now.  

20 hours ago, YoungOne said:

I think your theory is correct, I've got a 6 speed not a 5 but it does sound like its coming from the rear differential so not too worried about the gearbox, might change the oil in the gearbox and diff at some stage. But seems likes its a pretty common thing so not too worried now.  

I was trying to get at the principal behind it = hard rubber mounts/bracing increases noise transfer form moving parts to the chassis and into the cabin.

• Like 1