Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Having issues with 5th gen HIDs? Read here

boostin

I discovered the following on my own vehicle. Have since found out that others are having the same issue. It only applies to HID lamps, not halogen (H7) lamps.

The vehicle had extremely poor output from the headlamps. The lenses were in good condition, so next port of call were the bulbs themselves. 2 very expensive HID bulbs later and very little change, so not bulbs. Ballasts/ignitors then? Unlikely to have both fail in the same way at the same time, but possible I guess. The local auto electrician had a 12v LED conversion kit for less than the price of 1 ballast, so that seemed the way to go. Output still very poor. So it turns out that the coating on the reflector has degraded and is flaking off. Lights need replacement. Choice. Brand new HID are over a grand each, second-hand are like hens teeth, and even then the ones we got were failing with the reflectors starting to flake. My next question, do we really need HID? Order a pair of second-hand halogen lamps. The old hens teeth bite again. Can get a mint right hand lamp, no lefts. Much research and a heap of phone calls later and a set of brand new halogen lamps arrive, for a price similar to second-hand too. As a bonus the plug is the same so they slot straight in. Lamps aligned and WOF issued. What a process!

So all my research showed me the myriad of lamps available for these cars. Here's the list.... 

HID with black inserts and auto height adjustment 

HID with chrome inserts and auto height adjustment 

Halogen, black, with auto adjust 

Halogen, chrome, with auto adjust 

Halogen, black, manual adjust 

Halogen, chrome, manual adjust 

Now that's just for MY09/10. I didn't get into options for MY11 to 15. We ended up with the manual adjust chromes, and I reckon they look pretty sharp. I plan on doing a LED conversion on it early next year and get some real output.

• Like 1

Known issue, have seen people opening  headlights (bake in an oven) and replacing the reflectors only. 

18 minutes ago, boostin said:

2 very expensive HID bulbs later and very little change

Can get a pair of very nice OSRAM HID bulbs for $100 or so shipped off ebay. Local prices are a rip-off. 

@1randomkiwi might want to comment on this ;)  

Also, I'd rather go aftermarket and get CrystalEye headlights - auto levelling HID, new reflectors, LED goodness, plug'n'play.

Probably about the same price as what you paid for your manual halogens too. 

31916742264_5c283190ef_b.jpg

32509208362_9cd7e69cfb_b.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, boostin said:

I plan on doing a LED conversion on it early next year and get some real output.

How "legal" are the LED headlight conversions ? I know the HID upgrades are WOF fail, guessing the Led upgrade are all ok if you are doing it IchiBan ( hehee ) 

10 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Known issue, have seen people opening  headlights (bake in an oven) and replacing the reflectors only. 

Can get a pair of very nice OSRAM HID bulbs for $100 or so shipped off ebay. Local prices are a rip-off. 

@1randomkiwi might want to comment on this ;)  

Also, I'd rather go aftermarket and get CrystalEye headlights - auto levelling HID, new reflectors, LED goodness, plug'n'play.

Probably about the same price as what you paid for your manual halogens too. 

31916742264_5c283190ef_b.jpg

32509208362_9cd7e69cfb_b.jpg

Looking into New HID myself, thanks for sharing your experience, will check out!

Edit: does this mod remove the turn indicator?

13 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

I experienced the same issue with my HIDs, not that I initially noticed it.
Went from my chrome HID headlights to a set of black HID headlights (off @sobanoodle's BR9). Immediately noticed a sharper beam pattern and far more light output.

Was your Legacy NZ New @boostin?

Yeah it is.

15 hours ago, DRFVDR said:

How "legal" are the LED headlight conversions ? I know the HID upgrades are WOF fail, guessing the Led upgrade are all ok if you are doing it IchiBan ( hehee ) 

I haven't seen anything in the virm about it. I'll ask on Thursday when nzta are in for our site recheck. 

I had a search for aftermarket lamps, but everything that came up was left hand drive. Oh well, fixed now. I drove it in the dark for the first time last night, and very happy with the lamps. Will be interesting to see what difference the LEDS make.

Well I done did it :) Narva has just released a h4 ( and Think a H7 ) LED upgrade kit Part Number 18004, Not as cheap as the Ebay ones BUT a/ it goes on to my BNT account b/ has a 3 years NZ warranty and c/ Can order today and it is here tomorrow.

12v/24v Dual Voltage 

6500 k Colour 

4000 lumens 

8UT3tjy.jpg

Passenger LED driver Halogen 

yljFnth.jpg

Both LED 

0XErxic.jpg

ALL THE LEDS 

• Like 1