Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Trailing Arm and diff mounting bushes work.

Kol12

The WOF tech picked up on one or two things that will likely need attention before next warrant. His exact notes are:

Rear Suspension Trailing Arm Deteriorating All - as marked

Rear Suspension Check Manufacturers Spec Borderline - Diff Mounting bushes, oil leak pinion seal rear

I take this means the rear suspension trailing arms need replacing as well as rear diff mounting bushes and fixing the oil leak. Is this a big job? Any idea what he means about the rear suspension being borderline?

Gotta watch out for some people, if they are private or a small business, they tend to bring up things that dont really need attention. I had one dude quote me $1400 before I could get a wof. Had a funny feeling about them so i went to vtnz expecting to fail and passed with ease, no problem at all. I dont know, maybe they're legit. Just be aware =)

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L02 using Tapatalk

Will need attention before next warrant, ie. don't need to do them now, just keep an eye on them.

And vtnz all good aye? Nzta were in yesterday doing our site inspection. While they were there, I had a Swift in for a service that had just got a wof at vtnz. It had a stop lamp out, worn right rear tyre, torn wipers, collapsed front strut tops, and a corroded brake line. They took pics and details and were heading straight there to rip someone a new hole. Don't be stoked with getting a vtnz wof. It possibly doesn't mean S***.

Edited by boostin
  • Like 2

Ah, actually next warrant is in Jan 18... Kinda avoided it for a bit but it's now looming closer. Yes this was a vtnz WOF... I've been quoted $900-1000 but I'm wondering whether the understanding of the job was correct (over the phone) Is replacing trailing arms and diff bushes that bigger job? 

Edited by Kol12

11 hours ago, boostin said:

Diff bushes are a pain in the ass. I'd throw second-hand arms at it and avoid the hassle of pressing bushes out and back in. But I've never replaced a trailing arm bush and I've been working for Winger since 2006.

Can you further elaborate? Does the whole diff have to come out or something? What do you mean by avoid the hassle of pressing bushes out and back in? The diff bushes look like they are easy to access so I must be missing something... So is $900-1000 actually what you would expect for this job?

On a side note and it's probably too little to start a new thread, my idle is very low and feels like it is about to cut out. Does the idle simply need adjusting or can this also be something else?

Edited by Kol12

Just jam some poly diff bush inserts in if you can't be arsed pressing them out.

Rear trailing arms really should come off if you want to press in genuine jobs, but you can also just knock out the old ones (drill + hacksaw) then pop in poly ones.

The others (lateral arms etc) are 'easy enough' to remove, press out & replace with rubber. (actually, I found removing and pressing in new a c*** of a job without a shop press).

Its a lengthy process, so exxy if you get a mech to do it ($1k is not unreasonable).

Edited by duncanm

What's the lengthy process? The trailing arms, diff bushes or just the whole lot? The mech said about a 7 hour job o.O

Edit: TBH I don't really know what's involved but if 1k is reasonable I guess that's that... 

Edited by Kol12

7 hours seems excessive. Yes the rear diff has to come out, but that's easily done. The hard part is getting the old bushes out and pressing in new ones. I found the quickest way was to get what was left of the rubber centres out with a chisel and hammer, then run a die grinder through the bush casing to split it for easy removal. We then had a threaded rod with various heavy washers and cups to pull the new bush into place. Refit the diff and axles and fill it with oil. 2, maybe 3 hours and some diff oil.

As for the arms, you'd pull them off and press the bushes out, and new ones in. Or fit second-hand arms, which is what I'd do. An hour for the pair at most. Don't forget to get an alignment after.

So will a deteriorating trail arm always usually be just the bushings?  @boostin You've never done trailing arm bushes in all your time at Winger? 

Maybe the mechanic misunderstood something over the phone leading to the 7 hour labor estimate. Probably won't get a more accurate estimate until I physically take it in. They also asked if the car makes a clunk when changing gears and sure enough yes it does. This is apparently symptomatic of worn diff bushings... I always wondered what was causing the clunk and now I know. I'm not really familiar with the purpose of the diff bushings though, so what exactly do they do?

Nope. Replaced a damaged arm, but never bushes. They don't move much at all, so failure rates will be quite low.

I was thinking the mounting bushes in the back of the diff, but that sounds more like the outrigger supports. Bushes are a mounting point for components but provide cushioning to reduce noise transfer to the cabin.

Shot diff bushes is usually a clunk on/off the throttle. It adds slack to the drivetrain.

Trailing arm you'll get some funky handling - tendency for the rear to skip offline on bumps, for example.

They're all easy enough to inspect - get under there and have a look.

Yeah I definitely have the clunk. By slack do you mean a strain? 

Skip offline on bumps - what is that?

Maybe my tyre's need re-balancing, one of the most common for juddering...

Edited by Kol12

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm booked in to get this work done next Monday, WOF is early Jan. 

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some idea of my vehicle health based on mileage? I am just over 124,000 km on this 99 Legacy TT, I brought it around 108,000 km. 

I guess I'm at stage where I'm wondering how much longer I should keep the car, it's still quite low mileage but I am wondering if there any big repairs in sight of 124,000 km+? I've had rear brake pads replaced, new front rotors and brake pads, new spark plugs, some sensors replaced (oil and knock) and maybe one or two other things I can't think of. Previous owner had things done but poor records of it. Timing belt and suspension and something to do with the radiator. I heard the turbos don't cause problems until around 160-170k. I am trying to evaluate when might be the best time to look at upgrading the vehicle. Cheers!