Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need a solution to my fuel gauge!!

Kol12

My fuel gauge has been faulty for as long as I've had it and it is absolutely highly frustrating not having a working fuel gauge... >:(

I've had the sending units in the tank replaced to no avail. I took it to Hamish at H&N Auto who has seen this a few times on the B4 and in most cases it has been a dry solder joint on the gauge. He attempted the fix on mine but it is the first time that he has not seen it fix the issue. I recall the next step might of been replacing the gauge but I haven't spoke to him about it again for some time. 

Does anyone know whether the gauge itself can be replaced from another cluster or is it physically part of the cluster? I had been told a couple of times that another option is to replace the whole cluster, but that the mileage would also have to be reprogrammed. I recall there was someone in Hamilton that could reprogram but I've forgotten their name. 

Anyone got any further suggestions around this? 

Not sure if this is related to the gauge but occasionally all of the cluster lights start flickering haywire and even the speedo needles go all all haywire! This was pretty scary the first time I experienced it! Happens only once in a blue moon but could be an indication the cluster has bigger problems... 

Edited by Kol12

Is this karma or what? Ran out of gas today!! Got stuck in the middle of the road in about the exact same spot as the last time this happened! About a 100 meters from my street! This was after driving back from Hamilton today. I usually can gauge how much petrol I need but got taken by surprise! I can not go through this anymore, it is way to stressful and potentially very very dangerous!  I hope these guys know what they're doing and can fix it. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, DRFVDR said:

Simple really fill it up and then top it up every few days.

depending on the age of the vehicle BUT you may be able to use a bluetooth OBD dongle and an app and you should be able to see how much fuel is in the tank 

Thanks. I will google this some more tonight. Can you provide any more information on how that works? 

Update is: Enough is enough. I phoned Robinson Instruments and spoke to Profel. He said to send the cluster in asap. He has seen this issue on the Subaru's before. I pulled the cluster out this afternoon and right after I pulled the plugs from it the flippin gauge needle moves up from the dead faulty empty reading! Wonder what that means? Anything further though is beyond my expertise and these guys sound like the experts. I hope this can be fixed once and for all. I've already thrown quite a bit of money at it with no outcome and I can't imagine trying to ever sell the car with a faulty fuel gauge... Thanks very much for putting me on to these guy's.

Edited by Kol12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my cluster back from Robinson's Instruments. The fuel gauge has been confirmed repaired and some other parts replaced and re-soldered. The gauge seems to be working but how accurate I'm not sure. I've marked on this picture where my needle sits with between $50-60 petrol. Does this look like it's sitting right for the amount of petrol? If something is still wrong I bet it is the sender units the mechanics played around with who didn't know what they were doing...

subaru_regashy_b4_e845_103.jpg

• Admin
On 13/12/2017 at 7:15 PM, Kol12 said:

Ah that's a relief, I've spent so much time with this fuel gauge I just want it to be done and dusted. I remember there being a fuel to mileage calculator for the TT Legacy, is that still around? 

It's probably a complete waste of time, there will be about 5000 factors that play into it, such as the age/condition of your engine and gearbox, the tyres you're using, how much stuff you normally carry around, and how much your right jandal gets mashed into the carpet. They fit about 55L in them and they probably don't get mileage as good as my 3.0 Legacy, so I would say 55L will probably get you about 500kms.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how many km's/litre's of fuel are left when the low fuel light comes on on these 99 third gen Legacy's? Because my fuel gauge hasn't worked in such a long time I'm not familiar with how they operate. The low fuel light came on today and I got worried that it was playing up again as the low fuel light constantly on was a main characteristic. I phoned Robinson's Instruments again and he explained that the low fuel comes on at around quarter of a tank and that sometimes you can continue driving and the light will come off. It is still a warning that the car needs more fuel though...

5 hours ago, Kol12 said:

Does anyone know how many km's/litre's of fuel are left when the low fuel light comes on on these 99 third gen Legacy's? Because my fuel gauge hasn't worked in such a long time I'm not familiar with how they operate. The low fuel light came on today and I got worried that it was playing up again as the low fuel light constantly on was a main characteristic. I phoned Robinson's Instruments again and he explained that the low fuel comes on at around quarter of a tank and that sometimes you can continue driving and the light will come off. It is still a warning that the car needs more fuel though...

Just keep it full... it doesn't cost anymore than running around nearly empty.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Loren said:

Just keep it full... it doesn't cost anymore than running around nearly empty.

Your right, I'm sure I've been told before but was told again the low half of the tank is dirty and strains the fuel pump more.. I've been running the last year on the lower half of the tank. Will have to bite the bullet and fill er right up and try to stay above half from then on wards...

Regarding the low fuel light though I remember reading somewhere there was something official from Subaru about how many litres the tank had left when the low fuel light came on. It's probably easy enough to figure out. My low fuel light has come on at the second line from the E and I'm guessing about 12-13 litres? Could be handy to know if you did ever end up in that situation but I agree on keeping it full. 

Edited by Kol12

I would drive around for ages in my 96 legacy once the light was on... but it didn't have a turbo... in my wrx I will just fill it up whenever I am near a petrol station. It will use half a tank in the blink of an eye, so no point waiting until it's near empty. Current legacy is a 2006 and the

light comes on when I have 60 km left based on my average fuel consumption... so it's not based on the amount of fuel left.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 11:53 PM, Kol12 said:

15 hours ago, Kol12 said:

Your right, I'm sure I've been told before but was told again the low half of the tank is dirty and strains the fuel pump more..

I wouldn't worry about that

Sure there may be debris in the very bottom of your fuel tank, but its unlikely it would ever interfere with the fuel pump whether your tank is full or empty

My RS is about $110 to fill up from close to empty with BP 98

So for $50-$60 that picture above looks pretty accurate 

Put $90 BP 98 (40 litres) in today to see if that would fill it (already had some petrol) and ended up here (green line) This should indicate that the fuel gauge is now correctly functioning...

Is it a definite no no to run the TT Legacy on BP 95?

subaru_regashy_b4_e845_103.jpg

Edited by Kol12

26 minutes ago, Kol12 said:

Put $90 BP 98 (40 litres) in today to see if that would fill it (already had some petrol) and ended up here (green line) This should indicate that the fuel gauge is now correctly functioning...

Is it a definite no no to run the TT Legacy on BP 95?

Looks good to me :) 

Imo its best to run BP 98, but because your car isnt a racecar I think 95octane will be totally fine, ive seen subarus run on 91 their whole lives with no issues, its just how you drive them/how well maintained your car is that causes damage 

2 minutes ago, THUNDA said:

Looks good to me :) 

Imo its best to run BP 98, but because your car isnt a racecar I think 95octane will be totally fine, ive seen subarus run on 91 their whole lives with no issues, its just how you drive them/how well maintained your car is that causes damage 

Oh I actually meant 91 not 95... 95 is what I usually put in. It's something to do with the high compression engine that needs the higher octane fuel I recall.. I suppose 91 should be a last resort with these cars..