• Current Donation Goals

Kol12

Need a solution to my fuel gauge!!

36 posts in this topic

yikes, don't boost it on 91, especially with this hot weather.

1 person likes this

These are tuned for 100+ octane from japan... would only ever consider touching 91 to get me to a petrol station to put 98 in (and i'd put only enough to get me there).... and even the one time I've had to run 95 i played the 'lets-keep-boost-below-0-psi' game. Maybe i'm being too cautious? But i don't really want to get a new engine....

1 person likes this

S*** I've been running 95 for a while and I think that's what I filled up with today :( Is there some sort of additive I can put in?

Apparently the ECU can adjust to lower octane fuel, so am I in the clear?

Yup I wouldnt worry about it man, 95 = all good

1 person likes this

It's not that I'm not willing to pay it's that I completely forgot! Moved to smaller town a bit over a year ago and the BP only has 95. With so many things on my mind I just totally forgot. I'm putting more time into the car now trying to get it all spruced up. I was putting 98 in back in my home town as I remember being told to. It's probably the last year or so that I've been running 95. 

So is 95 ok as in won't cause major engine damage but just won't reach the full power potential?

Edited by Kol12

Don't run turbo subaru's on 91 EVER. I bought a twin turbo Legacy that had been run on 91 and it had killed the A/F sensor and knock sensor.

1 person likes this

I had my knock sensor replaced about a year ago. Was that the previous owners neglect I'm not sure. I can't remember what the symptoms were now that lead to the knock sensor being faulty. 

Edited by Kol12

I have never such in-depth worry over the function of a fuel gauge. When the light comes on you probably need to find a petrol station in the next 60kms. You might actually get 100kms or so out of it, especially if it's coming on at 1/4 of a tank, but the gauges are always a bit non-linear and there's a whole bunch of factors involved, like if you're driving up/down a hill the fuel shifting in the tank will make a big difference to the reading on the gauge.

But seriously, don't stress it so much, drive it until the light comes on, then find a petrol station soon-ish and put some more 95 octane in it. Don't cane the car and everything will be fine.

A 60km warning suits me fine, sure beats a 500m warning! lol. Know what you mean about the gauge non-linearity. Now I have the gauge working I am familiar again with the needle and how it goes up and down with the terrain. In some way's you can not rely on the gauge reading in steep varying terrain until you reach the flat again. Is this a side effect of Subaru having two senders in the saddle type fuel tank or is it quite common for a lot of fuel tank configurations?