Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gull 98 in 2007 legacy GT auto

Danihellfire

could be as others are saying that the e10 is allowing for it to not knock due to higher knock resistance..

we can adjust the timing to get it running better on 98 or even for e10 to ensure its all running safe.

also check for all leaks etc in case its also a mechanical issue

the reading you pulled out does show there is some room for improvement as there is some knock in the upper mid range that could as well be pulling the power down

also in the low end it looks like the overall IAM reduction may be affecting the proper timing needed hence why its sluggish there

ideally you want the IAM to be 1.00 if the car is setup correctly

fueling wise it seems to want to add a bit more fuel on the top end so may need adjustments there as well depending how much the AFR actually is

Edited by Pappu1
  • Like 1

• Admin

My understanding is that once it has learned knock correction, when you change fuels it will take ages to bring the timing back in, so the improvement in performance you've perceived between 2 tanks of gas is almost certainly placebo/butt-dyno results. I think the massive reduction in range and improvement in performance = you just gave it more jandal.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been thinking about this too ever since trying Gull 98 in my Subaru when I was desperate for gas but didn't want to pay Auckland fuel tax :p  Stopped off at Gull by Hampton downs on my way back to Hamilton. I added a bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner at the same time (i do once every few months). No noticeable difference as I was only cruising, but the next tank i filled up at gull again and it seemed a little bit better and my fuel consumption has actually been pretty good - a solid 10.2L/km compared to 10.8 it seems to hover around.

I'm told by the previous owner that the car has been tuned in Australia and needs 98 octane, up until a few tanks ago I have been using BP 98 religiously.

Does anyone have a scanner they could use on my car to pull the vitals up and see how my car looks? Ideal if you're in the Waikato / BOP

3 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

You'll be fine. Gull 98 has a slightly better knock resistance but usually is a tad less efficient. 

I've got a Tactrix that can check things are alright in Tauranga.

Might PM you next time I'm heading over that way, would be good to verify that my car is actually running properly / aka tuned for the intake mods

• Like 1

On 14/12/2017 at 5:16 PM, pharnos said:

Seeing as it looks like you had access to BTSSM you could use that to reset the ECU which will reset the Learned Values too, and the IAM will default to 0.5. Then after some spirited driving it should increase hopefully up to 1.0.

I've got a NZ new 3.0 Spec B auto,  and the IAM is very low, like down at 0.125 sometimes. BtSsm picks up lots of knock, and I drive it like a granny. If I put in E10 and reset the ECU, does it need spirited driving, or can / should I just drive it as I normally do? Which mode is better for it to relearn in? I, S, or S#  ? I usually have it in S.

8 hours ago, BMCracer said:

I've got a NZ new 3.0 Spec B auto,  and the IAM is very low, like down at 0.125 sometimes. BtSsm picks up lots of knock, and I drive it like a granny. If I put in E10 and reset the ECU, does it need spirited driving, or can / should I just drive it as I normally do? Which mode is better for it to relearn in? I, S, or S#  ? I usually have it in S.

Not sure about the NA cars but when I reset my WRX it drives slow as hell, like its in limp mode so I'm not sure if spirited driving would be ideal as the car is trying to adjust itself and I've heard it puts your car at risk of knock etc while it hasn't set ideal parameters.

Driving mode for NA only adjusts throttle response I think, so S would be the better mode as "I" has less throttle/more conservative and S# over reacts to throttle input

Gull 98 is imo the best 98 offered in nz and have seen some pretty big power gains swapping to it. Especially in turbo applications. I run it in my 05 manual and i can feel the difference running anything else bar. I usually notice 50kms tops per tank of fuel difference between gull and mobil.