Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Does the computer reset if the battery is disconnected or drained?

Kol12

I've heard that all of the information the computer tracks can be lost if the battery is disconnected or drained and has to start all over. Just wondering if this is also true for Subaru?

There is a way to keep the circuit connected when you disconnect the battery but I've forgotten the name for it... 

Edited by Kol12
  • Like 1

It will loose it's learned values, things like the fine fuel trims and air flow correction levels, but it will re learn those values really quickly. 

You can happily pull the ecu out and wave it around, it won't blitz itself.

What does kill them is turning the car off mid re-flash, or if a flash fails. 

If you are doing a re-flash, and for whatever the flash fails, DO NOT TURN IT OFF!!!!!

Sort out your laptop issues, then re attempt the flash. Don't ever touch that key until the reflash program says you can. 

• Like 1

• General Member

there is a reset procedure (connecting plugs under the dash & whatnot)

otherwise disconnect battery for 24 hours OR disconnect battery & stomp the brake pedal (supposedly helps the residual current from the Capacitors etc)

all methods work if you want to believe in them or reset codes, some code cant be fixed by 'clearing them' if the problem still exists dead AFM, knock or O2 sensor etc

Or if it's OBD2, buy yourself a cheap Bluetooth reader like a ELM327 from Trade Me, download a free smartphone app, and reset it properly yourself. If it has electronic throttle, remember that whenever the battery has been disconnected or a ECU reset done, always turn the key to ON for about 10 seconds before cranking. This allows the throttle to re-initialise.

• Like 3

• General Member
1 hour ago, boostin said:

always turn the key to ON for about 10 seconds before cranking. This allows the throttle to re-initialise.

I think that's the first time in the history of ClubSUB that's been mentioned!

you sir are :

8a0eaf4d8ac1f14326a288069b8ca09b.jpg

On 12/1/2017 at 2:49 PM, Joker said:

there is a reset procedure (connecting plugs under the dash & whatnot)

otherwise disconnect battery for 24 hours OR disconnect battery & stomp the brake pedal (supposedly helps the residual current from the Capacitors etc)

all methods work if you want to believe in them or reset codes, some code cant be fixed by 'clearing them' if the problem still exists dead AFM, knock or O2 sensor etc

So does the battery have to be fully disconnected for some time before the computer will reset or will it reset as soon as you pull the positive battery cable off? If it re-learns very quickly I suppose this is not such a big deal...

Edited by Kol12

On 12/3/2017 at 11:50 AM, boostin said:

Or if it's OBD2, buy yourself a cheap Bluetooth reader like a ELM327 from Trade Me, download a free smartphone app, and reset it properly yourself. If it has electronic throttle, remember that whenever the battery has been disconnected or a ECU reset done, always turn the key to ON for about 10 seconds before cranking. This allows the throttle to re-initialise.

I've always wanted to get an OBD2. Are the bluetooth ones only more recent? Where is the OBD2 located in a 99 Legacy? And what is the most useful information to look for when you hook these up? What does it mean to re-initialise the throttle?

Edited by Kol12

99 will be obd, not the later obd2. Same plug though, yours is by the bonnet release lever. Yours throttle is cable operated, not electronic so doesn't need initialising. Basically after a reset, power loss etc, the electronic throttle needs 5 or 6 seconds to do a full sweep. I'm not entirely sure what it's learning, whether it's full and closed throttle, or resistance and power required to overcome etc, but give it 10 seconds to be safe. Cranking before it's finished doing its thing results in extended crank time on that start, and usually a pretty shitty idle and delayed throttle response. 

1999 Legacy.... If it has functionality it'll be under the steering column or down by the footwell in the plastics at the top side. 

If it's early 1999 it may not work. Late 1999 it should, but you'll need to have a look

Obd2: most elm327 chips don't work with subies. Some do, I never bothered and just bought a tactrix cable.

The best app out there atm is an Android app called btssm, their own Bluetooth plugs work