Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

JDM smart keys?

Toucan

Hey guys, new to the forum as I'm now a Subaru owner!

My wife and I bought a Impreza 2012 JDM that has a single smart key with it. The dealer said they can give us a second one for $958. Is there some way we can do this ourselves? Buying a blank key and setting it up?

I've been Googling a bit and there's lots of info about programming the older key fobs but not so much about the smart keys.

I'm pretty comfortable/confident technically so I'm not afraid to plug in and/or boot up but I honestly have no idea how one would go about doing this.

Any suggestions or should I just let the dealer do it? or any other information you might need?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Just to note, I did see this post about something similar but it's from April 2016 and I wasn't sure if anything had changed since. I've emailed the guys at expresskeys.co.nz since I'm up late on a Sunday. :)

Edited by Toucan

The issue I can see you having is the programming of the key, with the right equipment it should be able to easily do it, buy a unprogrammed blank from ebay ( make sure it is a complete blank including all the electronics) then using what ever is needed to program the key to the car and done.

The unit to program the key is the issue, I have just done this to our JDM 2008 Vellfire, the smart key was available from Toyota at a reasonable price ( $200 ) so I just bought that, I may of been able to get one from ebay but a/ I could get it the next day b/ 100% sure it would work c/ wanted to still have the abilities from the original remote ( twin electric side doors). I then plugged in my Gscan 2 went to the correct option followed the instructions on programming the new key.( took about 30 seconds) and was done.  Seems simple enough except the Gscan2 is a $12,000 unit.It would program the key for your subaru, not sure if there is a cheaper unit that will do it. 

• Like 2

• General Member

one of them locksmith tricks with a key reader unit like @DRFVDR mentions, but yeah also a Dealer trick too, if you play hardpall & always make sure you get a spare when you buy the car! (bit late now sorry)

blanks are possible but yea a Locksmith needs to setup the key for the car with the right technology, some car Makes have rolling codes & others need to be told there are spare keys etc

@DRFVDR, well, the point was to save on some cost, not spend $12,000 for a single key! :) Good to know though. It does look like I can get blank keys online, but still can't program it myself.

@Joker, I genuinely thought it came with two until the car got dropped off at our in-laws place. But you are correct. I should of checked. Not the end of the world though. Lots of good info on here!

Anyone familiar with the Smartbox Auto stuff? Again, if it's more than the key from the dealer it seems excessive. :) 

I'm not at all afraid of technology. Happy to do it myself if it's an option.

• Like 1

• General Member

this will be your cheapest option

24 minutes ago, Toucan said:

It does look like I can get blank keys online, but still can't program it myself.

as a s'tealership or locksmith will charge a bit more for the blank, & some may refuse to program a key not supplied by themselves or cannot guarantee it etc, definitely worth doing tho vs lost key!

which that situation is covered by your insurance too

3 hours ago, Joker said:

which that situation is covered by your insurance too

Say you've damaged / lost your first key and claim getting a replacement under insurance, and just pay the excess?

Caveat: It may increase your premiums for next year if you lose your no claims bonus.

• Like 1

Ring around dealers until you find one that will program it for free if you buy the key from them? At least a dealer supplied one will be guaranteed to work. An eBay special might be the wrong frequency for your car, and yes there's a few.

@sobanoodle, thanks!

Any ideas as to why I'm not able to? What are the requirements to be able to? I'm sure they're out of my league, but curiosity killed the cat? :)

And I'm all about learning unique things. Especially if I'm going to have this car for awhile. I've seen a lot of stuff about G-Scan 2 units and SSM3/4?

I'll ring Subirex directly next week and ask.

I am a little worried about cloning a key vs getting a proper one. Surely there is a downside?

@boostin, that's not a bad idea. Yeah, I'd rather pay a bunch once and get exactly what I need then spend days or weeks buying the wrong things and then find out I have to pay the same amount anyway. :)

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 1

• Admin
On 04/12/2017 at 5:00 PM, Scoobydoo said:

Say you've damaged / lost your first key and claim getting a replacement under insurance, and just pay the excess?

Caveat: It may increase your premiums for next year if you lose your no claims bonus.

Can we please not encourage insurance fraud on the interwebnets? :/

• Like 2

• General Member

true one of the things they do is google the heck out of you & your car & see what you've posted on the internet (I know : they found images of my Avenger when I made a valid claim)

and most of ClubSUB IS Public so they would find this thread too

Have been LOL'ing at a certain someones IG Stories of late of Helis & stuff, waiting for the "FS 2015 STI" thread to pop up

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...