Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BR legacy GT - anything to look out for?

willisnz

In my quest to get a turbo Legacy, I've realised that the price difference between a low kms ~2006 BP Spec.B  GT and a BR 2.5 GT isn't massive, so I've been looking at a couple on TM lately. Anything to look out for with these cars? Looking at you @Kiwiflyboy and @sobanoodle....

They also all seem to be in Christchurch, is @gotasuby / @SAS  still the CS goto mechanic in CHCH if I want a car inspected?

8 hours ago, willisnz said:

2006 BP Spec.B  GT and a BR 2.5 GT isn't massive, so I've been looking at a couple on TM lately

Finally people starting to realise this, do not really get how dealers still manage to sell 06-07 BPs for like $12-14k.

Check suspension (struts if higher km's), LCA bushes etc. Intercooler coupler is known to cause air leak on these so might wants to check that too (relatively inexpensive). 

As been discussed recently I'd also check headlights' reflectors for any signs of deterioration. 

Do some research on what specs you're getting, have seen one GT with no HID or even push start. 

• Like 1

Finally people starting to realise this, do not really get how dealers still manage to sell 06-07 BPs for like $12-14k.

Check suspension (struts if higher km's), LCA bushes etc. Intercooler coupler is known to cause air leak on these so might wants to check that too (relatively inexpensive). 
As been discussed recently I'd also check headlights' reflectors for any signs of deterioration. 

Do some research on what specs you're getting, have seen one GT with no HID or even push start. 

If your in chch feel free to come have a look at mine and I can show you around what to look for from what I seen so far

Whoops sorry@sobanoodle didn’t mean to tag you in that one

12 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

What would you use to check the specs?  Other than being described as "s-pack" and seeing whether it has the McIntosh head unit, it's hard to know what to look out for....

• Admin
2 hours ago, willisnz said:

What would you use to check the specs?  Other than being described as "s-pack" and seeing whether it has the McIntosh head unit, it's hard to know what to look out for....

I can help if you'd like. Did a lot of research recently.
@sobanoodle is a Legacy guru also.

Externally you have a few main external visual differences. Pre-facelift and facelift, and then the optional S-Package (basically the SpecB of the BM/BR).

Pre-facelift standard:
670184839.jpg

Pre-facelift S-Package - Note the different fog surrounds, lower grill and black internals in the headlights:
684094215.jpg

Facelift - note the different grill (upper and lower) shapes, bumper shape, headlight design:

659100324.jpg

Facelift S-Package - basically the same differences as the Pre-facelift S-Package had but applied to the facelift:

687601704.jpg

The main features to look for are:
Media controls (left side of steering wheel)
Cruise control (right side of steering wheel)
Eyesight (Only an option on facelift)
Push button start / keyless entry
Interior (Cloth, Split Leather, Full Leather)
Headunit (Few options here, LCD, non-LCD, Macintosh) - Note: Even the basic audio packages are really nice (Harmon Kardon as standard).

5AT Auto vs 6spd Manual (for the 2.5GT)

Think that's most things covered...

• Like 1

[mention=18602]1randomkiwi[/mention]  Really helpful thanks!  I will be going for a pre-facelift. The facelift/DITs are less common and more expensive.

Is retrofitting media controls/cruise control expensive? I imagine it's relatively plug and play but buying the part is expensive...

There are steering wheels with the buttons on trademe if you get one that doesn’t and should be plug and play if the head unit you have supports it. Most should have the cruise control and audio though other wise will be a basic spec model

You'd think so, but this one has neither media controls or cruise control but appears, to be an S-Pack.

Wow so it is, that one almost identical to mine. Except Mine had the sti lip, sti springs, and sti exhaust quad tips, inside I also had the defi controller and Gauge and different headunti with the cruise control and media controls. So I’m guessing the media controls will be plug and play unsure about the cruise control but guessing that same. I brought my 2010 with 90000km for 21k almost 2 years ago now

I have definitely been inspired by yours and [mention=16099]sobanoodle[/mention]'s wagons...if I get one it will definitely be white or black

I do like the black or dark ones but have owned before and found a PITA for scratches and keeping clean. The white pearl has a nice shine and don’t show marks or dirt as much. We have a young toddler so expect the odd scratch or ding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, willisnz said:

if I get one it will definitely be white or black:

If I was to do it again I'd get pearl white, same as @Kiwiflyboy's - gorgeous colour and as been already said much easier to maintain. 

7 hours ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

So I’m guessing the media controls will be plug and play unsure about the cruise control but guessing that same.

Cruise is definitely not plug'n'play, will require some additional wiring from ECU to brake switch.

Not sure about SWC but hazard a guess that you might also need to run a few wires too.

Spec-wise 5th gen GT

10 hours ago, willisnz said:

What would you use to check the specs?

is all over the place, apart from NZ new models that are mostly so-called Premium versions - lots of airbags, sunroof, McIntosh, S-pack, leather etc. 

You can probably use japo catalogues but need applied model code to know for sure what spec it came out of a showroom with, but I'd say visual inspection in person/from photos will be your best bet.

@Kiwiflyboy did an amazing inspection of a DIT BR9 for me (thank you once again!), with a thorough description and lots of photos and even with a video - too bad I decide to join euro clan :$

I sold my FGK exhaust to a fellow 5th gen owner from Hamilton. His was a standard GT without push start/HID/cruise control/SWC/Bilstein - extremely basic model. 

Edited by sobanoodle