Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

External gate

Subru

Thinking about getting an external wastegate before my tune.

From what I have heard they can allow for more power gains due to having more control, exhaust doesnt have to crazy as the external gate is sending a bunch of exhaust to atmosphere therefore less flow is required, among other benefits. It also means that if I get a bigger turbo one day I already have a wastegate setup.

To get an external gate, would I need aftermarket uppipe or headers to weld a flange onto it?

Any advantages/disadvantages or any other information I should know about?

To keep that Internal wastegate shut, couldn't I just add a cheap boost controller just for the internal wastegate that to trick it to never open? I would rather not weld it shut..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Subru said:

Thinking about getting an external wastegate before my tune.

From what I have heard they can allow for more power gains due to having more control, exhaust doesnt have to crazy as the external gate is sending a bunch of exhaust to atmosphere therefore less flow is required, among other benefits. It also means that if I get a bigger turbo one day I already have a wastegate setup.

To get an external gate, would I need aftermarket uppipe or headers to weld a flange onto it?

Any advantages/disadvantages or any other information I should know about?

To keep that Internal wastegate shut, couldn't I just add a cheap boost controller just for the internal wastegate that to trick it to never open? I would rather not weld it shut..

Youll find lots lots of different opinions on EWG setups here

Youll have cast exhaust manifolds so they are pretty easy to work with, there is a piece of your mani just before the uppipe most people pop off and weld the EWG flange on. Make sure you get someone good at welding to do the welds or you'll be repairing cracks all the time. If you want to vent to Atmo, that's pretty much all the customising work you'll have to do other than boost/vac line related setting up

the above setup will mean you'll have problems getting WOFs, and police will be extra nosey if they see you gating around

If you want to run it so it plumbs back in you'll have to fab up a return pipe that goes back into your downpipe. Lots of different options. You will be able to get wofs with this option

For keeping the internal gate shut, you can sometimes get away with just unplugging the vac line completely. Or a little tack weld on the outside where the actuator arm meets the gates leg? (For lack of a better name)

a 38mm EWG should do

just a heads up though an EWG won't net you more power with your current setup before or after a tune

It will however sound very racecar and in turn be glorious

• Like 2

There is literally no point in adding an ewg on a vf.

I had 227wkw @ 22psi on 95 with a vf22 and full boost around 3.5k. 3 port with link and internal. 

Get a 3 port and 3" turbo back and tune it. Tell them to stuff whatever boost they can get into it before it falls over. Engine will take it providing its in good health.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, THUNDA said:

Youll find lots lots of different opinions on EWG setups here

Youll have cast exhaust manifolds so they are pretty easy to work with, there is a piece of your mani just before the uppipe most people pop off and weld the EWG flange on. Make sure you get someone good at welding to do the welds or you'll be repairing cracks all the time. If you want to vent to Atmo, that's pretty much all the customising work you'll have to do other than boost/vac line related setting up

the above setup will mean you'll have problems getting WOFs, and police will be extra nosey if they see you gating around

If you want to run it so it plumbs back in you'll have to fab up a return pipe that goes back into your downpipe. Lots of different options. You will be able to get wofs with this option

For keeping the internal gate shut, you can sometimes get away with just unplugging the vac line completely. Or a little tack weld on the outside where the actuator arm meets the gates leg? (For lack of a better name)

a 38mm EWG should do

just a heads up though an EWG won't net you more power with your current setup before or after a tune

It will however sound very racecar and in turn be glorious

Yeah, I really like the sound of them, even if its plumbed into exhaust or to atmosphere (if its legal and wofable). Thats my main reason among being prepared for if a big turbo makes its way my engine bay then I already have ewg setup.

I can see why people would hate the vent to atmosphere and some love it. Tbh I dont mind either. Had a wrx with ewg vaping to atmosphere and it sounded crazy loud lolol

Its a personal preference thing, I knew my EWG wouldnt make a difference in power when I first got it, but it was one of my favorite things I got installed (at the time of installation)

These days im sort of getting over it, because I cant even boost a little without causing a scene lol, even fire shoots out of it sometimes (mate got a vid of me at taupo and these was flames) 

As for its legality, yes its illegal, venting fumes to the atmosphere at the front of the car makes your car unsafe, it has to vent at the rear of the car (**using all my strength to not make a sarcastic comment)

Im into 80s-90s turbo cars, and imo a little part of me thinks they suit the Atmos EWG

Newer cars dont really suit it I rekon - I mean, an atmos EWG on a new sti would be gross imo

• Like 1

• Admin

They sound shithouse on a modern Subaru with a VF series turbo. Seriously, it just sounds like a continuous wet fart. And if your car is making that much noise and only making 220wkw you look really stupid to anyone that doesn't have a mullet and a monster energy tattoo.

Considering it will cost you several hundred dollars at a minimum and achieve nothing except making your car obnoxious and illegal (screamer pipe will get you pink stickered if the Police find it) it goes firmly in the category of "S*** mods"

All of this obviously changes the instant you get a big F***-off turbo that doesn't have an internal wastegate, but even then you should plumb it back unless you're a bit of a knob :)

(Apologies to @THUNDA who I know enjoys a bit of the RAAAAAAAAAAAATCH :P But it sounds like even he is getting over it)

• Like 7

• Admin

The short and tall of it is below summed up from the comments above.

1. It's a few hundred $$ to just get something that will provide zero benefits to the vehicle
  2. While it sounds cool at first, give it a bit and you'll be over it more than hearing a child fart in your back seat. 
  3. illegal for vent to atmo, which kinda makes getting an EWG a moot point?
  4. ????

Worst mod for stock turbo man, my old GC8 came with one venting and I actually had to change gear every 1.98753453 seconds or it'd start queefing. you cant overtake even in 5th without sounding like your foot is flat.

Buy one keep it in its box and add it to your collection of parts that will build a kit to support a big turbo :D

• Like 3

8 hours ago, boon said:

(Apologies to @THUNDA who I know enjoys a bit of the RAAAAAAAAAAAATCH :P But it sounds like even he is getting over it)

Tis true

when I'm on the track, boy do I love it

but driving around normally is ridiculous, especially when your just trying to go up a hill normally lolol

if the Rs was my daily it would definitely get plumbed back in

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personal preference i love to have an ewg thats vented to atmosphere. Ive always ran it external on several setups. First setup i had a standard v3sti,vf24 3inch ex and front mont and ewg with 18psi spring car ran 230kw@18psi garry capper dyno at the time. Car ran 11.9 @ 186kph at the time full street trim and car ran mint and controlled boost mint. From my experience the go well with a vf turbo.

Pros (from my experience)

Dont need to buy a boost controller
Holds boost better
Sounds cool with a big spring
Cheap mod
Can use factory manifold
Can adjust boosts by changing spring

Cons

Cert required ($350+ if i recall properly)
Illegal if vented to atmo (screams)
Have to fab it onto manifolds(upwards of +200plus price of gate and vac lines and tee peice etc)

I aint here to say get it or not just thought put out my experience so it will help you with your decision hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tis true

when I'm on the track, boy do I love it

but driving around normally is ridiculous, especially when your just trying to go up a hill normally lolol

if the Rs was my daily it would definitely get plumbed back in
What spring have you got must be like a 2psi spring if it opens inder normal load🤣🤣

I enjoy the noise but I do admit that it would be annoying af sometimes... lol
Ive only ever had an external and it dosent go off unless you put under boost unless you have a 1psi spring🤣 if that even exist. simple dont want to hear it dont thrash it

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StrokedEJ said:

Personal preference i love to have an ewg thats vented to atmosphere. Ive always ran it external on several setups. First setup i had a standard v3sti,vf24 3inch ex and front mont and ewg with 18psi spring car ran 230kw@18psi garry capper dyno at the time. Car ran 11.9 @ 186kph at the time full street trim and car ran mint and controlled boost mint. From my experience the go well with a vf turbo.

Pros (from my experience)

Dont need to buy a boost controller
Holds boost better
Sounds cool with a big springemoji16.png
Cheap mod
Can use factory manifold
Can adjust boosts by changing spring

Cons

Cert required ($350+ if i recall properly)
Illegal if vented to atmo (screams)
Have to fab it onto manifolds(upwards of +200plus price of gate and vac lines and tee peice etc)

I aint here to say get it or not just thought put out my experience so it will help you with your decisionemoji16.pngemoji41.png hope this helps...

What spring have you got must be like a 2psi spring if it opens inder normal loademoji23.png🤣🤣

Ive only ever had an external and it dosent go off unless you put under boost unless you have a 1psi spring🤣 if that even exist. simple dont want to hear it dont thrash itemoji16.png

To go up a big hill I have to boost, when i have it on low boost the link makes it open at like 10/11psi, im my car i dont really have a medium setting where i can put load on the engine without the turbo working, the turbo is either not spooling or its spooling up then delivering its whole power

To go up a big hill I have to boost, when i have it on low boost the link makes it open at like 10/11psi, im my car i dont really have a medium setting where i can put load on the engine without the turbo working, the turbo is either not spooling or its spooling up then delivering its whole power
Oh ok ive had my car for 10years and on no matter what hill it is it never goes above a couple psi unless im towing something up a hill

External still require a boost controller of sorts to bring boost on at a better ramp rate.
Alot of my mates an i have never ran a boost controller till we run our solinoids off our links

External still require a boost controller of sorts to bring boost on at a better ramp rate.
Hahahahah the wastegate is the controller

• Like 1

Without a decent boost controller electronic or manual the gate will crack open early bleeding off pressure better spent spooling the turbo. A 1 bar spring doesnt open at 1 bar, it opens progressively finishing at 1 bar.

• Like 2

Without a decent boost controller electronic or manual the gate will crack open early bleeding off pressure better spent spooling the turbo. A 1 bar spring doesnt open at 1 bar, it opens progressively finishing at 1 bar.
Oh ok i hear different facts about things and i can only go off my experience and my turbo spools fine and gate never opens early. You should check you might not have a spring in your gate🤣🤙

2 hours ago, StrokedEJ said:

Oh ok i hear different facts about things and i can only go off my experience and my turbo spools fine and gate never opens early. You should check you might not have a spring in your gate🤣emoji23.png🤙

A wastegate external or internal is not an on/off switch. That's what the boost controller does. Stops the gate from opening until it meets target. 

If its so great with no real boost control why bother wiring up a solenoid for the link?

A wastegate external or internal is not an on/off switch. That's what the boost controller does. Stops the gate from opening until it meets target. 

If its so great with no real boost control why bother wiring up a solenoid for the link?

Haha the on off switch is your spring and for wiring upto link is i dont think there is a big enough spring above 18psi hence the solinoid(boost controller) for adjustment to my desired boost pressure. But in @subrus case he only wants to know things about the wastegate which works perfectly fine without a boost controller(electronic) which cost another arm and a leg. Only reason i say that is growing up i listened to too much people on buy this buy that and looking back now i didnt need half the s@#t they told me to get. As of now i have a 10psi spring in car and all i do is unplug the top port hose off my wastegate to run the minimum boost which again is perfectly fine and saves hooking the laptop up to adjust it. I try give people my experiences and not others or the he said she said ones. Cheers bro sorry about the novel

• Like 1