Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tow Car/Daily

Not_Sean

Hey guys, So thought I would ask this from people who Know NZ a lot better then I do, Later this year the ST will prob go full track car and I'll need something to tow it up and down the country, as well as something good I can use for a daily. 

Originally I was thinking a Ford Territory as they as cheap, will easily do up to 300k+ km with little issues and thought It ticked all the boxes, but only place that it sucks is it gets god-awful fuel economy even when not towing, So open to suggestions, only have 3 things I'm looking for

Crusie Control

Decent Fuel when not Towing

able to tow 1.5T without straining or holding up everyone's day. 

So not looking to buy, but what would you guys suggest? 

• Like 1

My 3.0r can barely get 7.5km/l city driving around wellington, 12.5 open road, so it's not flash on fuel when not towing. .With 1.5 tonne loaded onto it I would hate to think what the fuel use would be, and when you add the fact it takes 98 petrol you're looking at $$$ to tow long distance. I would look at something newish diesel.

But, just to contradict myself completely, I'm considering putting a towbar on it to tow my WRX around lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, calebwrx said:

My 3.0r can barely get 7.5km/l city driving around wellington, 12.5 open road, so it's not flash on fuel when not towing. .With 1.5 tonne loaded onto it I would hate to think what the fuel use would be, and when you add the fact it takes 98 petrol you're looking at $$$ to tow long distance. I would look at something newish diesel.

But, just to contradict myself completely, I'm considering putting a towbar on it to tow my WRX around lol.

Is it tuned?

• Admin

As a side note, you're likely to be closer to 2000kg towing weight, unless you're planning to do some radical weight reduction to your ST.

Anything you get that will tow that nicely is going to suck balls as a daily; it's a simple question of mass.

The correct answer to your question is an Isuzu D-Max or Holden Colorado from before they shrank the motor.

• Like 3

• General Member

I was on the same thing Very recently 

or on another forum I frequent : (better read)

https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/57670-wtb-trade-tow-wagon-or-ute-cruiser-north-island-nz-3-6k/

started off test driving Leggy 3.0's & fell in love with a B spec GT

and even a dediated LGP ute (CHEEP to run & oodles of power for towing

667119347.jpg

ended up looking at Ford Falcon BA's & Holden's

then the current car popped up on the tard at a price I could not refuse

6935167101.jpg.a4db933be6cac79cd3b64acf9

Subaru's will only be 'rated' for around 2 Ton towing, all others can go higher

but yeah a 3.0r at minimum for space & capability, auto is fine (uprate trans cooler maybe) manual would be better

@Joker thanks man, some good points, I dunno how I feel about that ute falcon, not solf on the looks

The Outback 3.0R was def in my mind as a good pick, 

1 hour ago, pedro said:

My suggestion would be to go to a race meeting and check out what other people are using for towing..

Ask around and go from there..

@boon

Most of the people are using Rangers, which for me I don't feel like paying the UTE tax (The are crazy expensive here) I just really Don't need the UTE part, can fit everything I would need for a track day inside an SUV/Wagon. 

Also, the ST stock is 1600kg will be stripping it out should be able to lose 100kg hopefully :P but yeah should look at 2T as the towing capacity.

Maybe the territory at its price even with the bad fuel is a good option, least know with a 4L straight 6 and 6speed gearbox it should handle nicely  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Most of the people are using Rangers, which for me I don't feel like paying the UTE tax (The are crazy expensive here) I just really Don't need the UTE part, can fit everything I would need for a track day inside an SUV/Wagon.

The thing is that you get the UTE tax back when you sell..It's not like you are throwing money away..

• Like 2

• Admin
3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

@boon

Also, the ST stock is 1600kg will be stripping it out should be able to lose 100kg hopefully :P but yeah should look at 2T as the towing capacity.

Maybe the territory at its price even with the bad fuel is a good option, least know with a 4L straight 6 and 6speed gearbox it should handle nicely  

If you think ute tax is bad, go have a look at the true kings of the tow-wagons, Nissan Patrol and Toyota Landcruiser VX (Both the turbodiesel variants).

Paying 15k+ for a 20 year old vehicle with 300000kms, no thanks. Though I do love the Landy.

• Like 2

Hey mate,

I know you mentioned that you didn't want a ute but you can pick up a relatively tidy hilux 3.0l DT which is what we use for towing. however My mate uses a outlander for towing his car around, we have an outlander with no tow bar as a daily for the Mrs and its awesome to drive?

Or stick with a falcon or commodore you cant kill them and they are not that bad on gas day to day if you don't have a heavy foot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boon said:

If you think ute tax is bad, go have a look at the true kings of the tow-wagons, Nissan Patrol and Toyota Landcruiser VX (Both the turbodiesel variants).

Paying 15k+ for a 20 year old vehicle with 300000kms, no thanks. Though I do love the Landy.

I know right?! I love the patrol, would good for the 04 shape. 

29 minutes ago, Inked said:

Hey mate,

I know you mentioned that you didn't want a ute but you can pick up a relatively tidy hilux 3.0l DT which is what we use for towing. however My mate uses a outlander for towing his car around, we have an outlander with no tow bar as a daily for the Mrs and its awesome to drive?

Or stick with a falcon or commodore you cant kill them and they are not that bad on gas day to day if you don't have a heavy foot.

If the Outlander is able to do it it makes me wonder about the Ford Kuga or even some of the Diesel Volvo's but they all above 10K.so might just break the budget when it comes time.  

I've only ever towed 21ft boats and my old 2004 Outback was easily able to do that, but this seems to be a bit more weight and its not the flat roads of south Africa. 

So any other suggestions, Considering everything, just don't wanna blow something going up a big hill. so far the territory still leading, 

Really don't like Falcons/Commy's just find them such Land Yachts for a 4 door. 

1 hour ago, Subru said:

land rover :P 

Not a bad option if you can get a diesel for the right price. Petrol don't even bother, you'll need to be an oil baron to run it (I have the 3.5 v8 Range Rover Classic). 

But the TD5 is apparently bulletproof, it'll just been the rest of the car that lets it down (electrics not well known for reliability!)