Tow Car/Daily

Not_Sean

• General Member

need more Mullet.....

Jappa's do tow good I'll look at my recent watchlist to see what I let go too

Had a 'cheap Audi' some where (Wof sheet was a book : STAY AWAY

this LGT

631898277.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1437353888 (current < link works

A club member mentioned his brother was looking to move a high KM 3.0r as well

this one that was withdrawn https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1455892968&archive=1 Link no work but good research

Screen cap

sZ0aCuXl.png

Basically an 03+ 3.0r will suit bill the motors are basically bullet proof till 300,000kms

flappy paddles on GT's Black interior is rarer & darer to buy, but wont make or stain as easy

very high KM 2.5 next Gen Leggy pulled good to & had 6 speed AT turners for under $10k (had rattly boot I couldnt stand it after a short test drive)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eichs said:

Not a bad option if you can get a diesel for the right price. Petrol don't even bother, you'll need to be an oil baron to run it (I have the 3.5 v8 Range Rover Classic). 

But the TD5 is apparently bulletproof, it'll just been the rest of the car that lets it down (electrics not well known for reliability!) 

I actually was thinking about them, a friend in SA just got one, he loves it. got the Discovery. 

Looks like the Territory is out, two mates who work at ford both said to avoid them in the first gen, they constantly need the bushings and subframe work done.. 

At this rate might just say F*** it and 15K look at a slight older Ranger or really just throw my hands up and for 25K just buy an Amarok :P

Really isn't many options in the SUV range besides a Volvo XC90 which I actually wouldn't mind. 

• Admin

$20k will get you a decent Colorado; if you're not buying the newer 3.2L Ranger it's just another old slow shitbox, it needs to be one of the modern common-rail turbodiesel "super utes" or it's a waste of time.

Amarok is ewwww, 2L motor making that much torque is surely stressed out.

3 hours ago, Joker said:

Do you have an actual Budget to spend / aim for?

Will be financing it,, was happy to go for something 10K, but prob going to have to go over that. will pay it off over a year so a couple K does make a difference. 

I really am starting to lean closer and closer to the 3.0R, I was keen for a Audi A4 Wagon with the Desiel 2.0T but its max towing is 1800kg, and the car already weighs 1600, and double I can get a 200kg Braked trailer. 

3 hours ago, boon said:

$20k will get you a decent Colorado; if you're not buying the newer 3.2L Ranger it's just another old slow shitbox, it needs to be one of the modern common-rail turbodiesel "super utes" or it's a waste of time.

Amarok is ewwww, 2L motor making that much torque is surely stressed out.

haha Everyone in SA said the same thing and laughed at it for bringing a 2.0L to a V6 fight until the reviews and head to heads started coming out, and it not only kept'd up with them but flattened them in many ways. Don't knock a VW/Audi Desiel, That's their gift. and yeah back home you see many hitting 400K km. Styling might not be for everyone but trust me its one hell of a ute. 

I've been told avoid the older Colorados as parts are becoming a mission, we taking the car down to Fielding in March with a 2006 Ford Ranger so we'll see how the older ones go, he tows he Falcon speedway car around with it no problems. 

Guess the biggest thing I'm keen on at the moment is getting a Deisel for the long distance economy and it gets really good fuel in town. 

funny enough some volvo XC90's in the price in good condition, its a bit Rich soccer mommy for me but they would make an amazing tow car

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ok so little update on this, Turns out I can't read, and car only weighs 1300Kg wich completely changes everything as now I'm not looking at luggin 2Tons across the country. 

How do the Subaru outback H6's do in city driving, See a few of the 3.0R's and the Lancaster models going for super cheap, and it should tow 1.5T pretty easy. 

Middle of last year I bought a NZ new 2006 facelift Spec B legacy 3.0 wagon 5EAT with 139,000km from Whangarei. The 3.0's are rated to tow 1800kgs ( 2.5 is 1600kg ), and I've towed about 1650 on it so far, and it goes very well. Around town the trip computer says I'm using about 10.8l/100km, and I was concerned that would blow right out when towing, but to my surprise it stay exactly the same. Then again I'm towing down the motorway to Hampton Downs so no stop start and hills and crap. My car is not tuned, it's completely as it left the factory ( ok I changed the oil and it's had a set of tyres ), and the paddles are great for knocking it back a gear up the hills. Easy cruising, easy towing, still got a very nice daily driver, I love it and couldn't be happier with it.

Make sure the towbar rating matches the cars' towing rating ( on any car, not just Subaru ). I looked at a 3.0 legacy wagon that had a towbar, but it was the 2.5 towbar, so only rated to 1600kg, not 1800. Walked away from that one.

• Like 3

Yeah it wasn't a genuine one, was from some towbar shop, the rating sticker specified for Subaru legacy 2.5i, 1600kg. Didn't say anything about 3.0.

My car has a genuine towbar, and it has different ratings for different engine sizes on it.

The way I see it, you're going to have to compromise somewhere.. it's just a question of where.

1. Get a car you like (and that behaves better) as a daily, considering you're going to have to put up with the car EVERY DAY, or however often you're doing to drive it, I'm assuming it will be daily, otherwise you wouldn't state that. As long as it has adequate towing capability for what you need.

2. Suck it up, admit to yourself that the cost of having a racecar, includes the tow car and it's gas guzzling engine, and get the vehicle that's good for towing, but more expensive to drive daily.

Does that about sum it up?

• Like 2

On 2/5/2018 at 8:34 AM, Scoobydoo said:

The way I see it, you're going to have to compromise somewhere.. it's just a question of where.

1. Get a car you like (and that behaves better) as a daily, considering you're going to have to put up with the car EVERY DAY, or however often you're doing to drive it, I'm assuming it will be daily, otherwise you wouldn't state that. As long as it has adequate towing capability for what you need.

2. Suck it up, admit to yourself that the cost of having a racecar, includes the tow car and it's gas guzzling engine, and get the vehicle that's good for towing, but more expensive to drive daily.

Does that about sum it up?

Yeah man, fully get where you're coming from, I can't have my cake and eat it too kind of thing. 

Funny enough was chatting to one of my endurance racing teammates back home and he's got a Audi A4 Avant with the 2.0TDI engine and Quattro Says it's been towing his car like a dream and around town, he's been getting really good fuel economy. Checked on trade me and the 2009 and up models do seem within Price range. the other side is the Outback 3.0 would be way cheaper and free up money for the race car. But at least now I have solid options