• Current Donation Goals

NTYCME

05 Legacy options

15 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

 

Im finally back in a Subaru, used to have a 04 v9 wrx hatch years ago some of you may remember

 

Anyway, typical jap import has the talking card reader I'll take out soon but what have people done with the GPS screen above the stereo?

Currently it shows me driving around the ocean constantly, I know you can swap the unit out for a pocket but can't see the point in doing so

Does anyone know of anyway to replace the brains of it and get it working in NZ? Or, has anyone managed to modify one and put another screen/GPS unit in its place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NTYCME said:

Hey everyone

 

Im finally back in a Subaru, used to have a 04 v9 wrx hatch years ago some of you may remember

 

Anyway, typical jap import has the talking card reader I'll take out soon but what have people done with the GPS screen above the stereo?

Currently it shows me driving around the ocean constantly, I know you can swap the unit out for a pocket but can't see the point in doing so

Does anyone know of anyway to replace the brains of it and get it working in NZ? Or, has anyone managed to modify one and put another screen/GPS unit in its place?

 

These guys did my 06 Legacy but it may not work on all nav systems 

 

Installer Services

14 Ryan Pl, Manukau, 2104

 

PH 0800 348 669 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extremely well.

Need to be somewhat tech savy but sure he majority of people on here would be able to do it with a few pointers thrown in.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pharnos what do I need to have this running? I was going to buy an iPad mini and install it into the same place as the gps screen on my 07 LGTB. This would be great! 

 

Thanks :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with an Android heat unit to replace the factory stereo .. mine is huge but you can get smaller single DIN models.  Takes away the hassle of mounting solutions + power management.  Auto shuts down with car and stays in sleep time for 30mins then full power down(configurable).

still haven't take the plastic film off the front yet :) but the VAG cable,etc is nicely routed now

 

20171116_085837_Copy.jpg20171115_233900_Copy.jpg

 

Edited by killervq30de

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, csrgm1915 said:

@pharnos what do I need to have this running? I was going to buy an iPad mini and install it into the same place as the gps screen on my 07 LGTB. This would be great! 

 

Thanks :) 

 

That’s about the best thread for doing the install with a Nexus 7

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21888

 

Go for Android if possible. The configurability options are hugely better than Apple. I’ve got mine hooked up to my OBD2 port and HU so does everything you could ever want. The custom Android ROM for the Nexus 7 makes a huge difference too.

 

98962133-9E92-40B5-AF29-67CBEB8B6AD1_zpsmqejjtnl

 

C0453864-FCCA-4F50-8887-3E82F281998E_zpsujd0v3mq

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andy_Mac thanks! Just ordered the OBDii wifi unt and I have an iPad mini lying around the house to test it on first, nexus seems like the way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andy_Mac I have the Elm327 and Dashcommand running, however it isn’t giving me any live information. After doing some reading around is it that Elm327 is only OBDii and I need an adapter that support SSM? If so which adapter in NZ supports this? 

 

So much head scratching lately!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

50 minutes ago, csrgm1915 said:

@Andy_Mac I have the Elm327 and Dashcommand running, however it isn’t giving me any live information. After doing some reading around is it that Elm327 is only OBDii and I need an adapter that support SSM? If so which adapter in NZ supports this? 

 

So much head scratching lately!!!!

 

ELM327 adaptors also don’t like Jap cars much either.

Are you looking for a wireless solution or will wired do? Assume your using Android since your using dash command. Best bet for compatibility and usefullness would be to grab the BTSSM app and get the wireless adaptor they sell on their site.

Costs more than an ebay alternative but is guaranteed to work with their app as it was designed for it.

 

http://www.btssm.com/?page=hardware

may have to get in touch with them for international shipping but know others outside of the US have managed to get it

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

 

ELM327 adaptors also don’t like Jap cars much either.

Are you looking for a wireless solution or will wired do? Assume your using Android since your using dash command. Best bet for compatibility and usefullness would be to grab the BTSSM app and get the wireless adaptor they sell on their site.

Costs more than an ebay alternative but is guaranteed to work with their app as it was designed for it.

 

http://www.btssm.com/?page=hardware

may have to get in touch with them for international shipping but know others outside of the US have managed to get it

 

 

 

Thanks! The Elm was only $25 and I had the iPad lying around with dashcommand installed so I’ll maybe wait as it’s not a necessity at this stage.

 

i also have friends coming over from the states later in the year so maybe I can get them to bring one over for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my thread for my Nexus tablet install - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cndnsd-2007-gt-si-cruise-bp5-244063.html?t=244063. I'm just using a US$10 vagcom (i think) cable to connect to OBDII, which works well with BTSSM. I was using the 2012 Nexus 7 tablet, but have since replaced that with the 2013 version which is much better (faster, more resposive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TLMH said:

Will the BTSSM App work Via Tactrix cable to a Tablet? 

 

mines working with a $6 VAG cable to an Android tablet.  You don't need the $100+ cable just to use the BTSSM dashboard

Edited by killervq30de

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now