Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Impreza speakers

Gripless

Anyone know what audio options came in the Impreza?

half my car has cheap black plastic cones and are built into the frame/mount like the image below.

the other pair looks like woven alloy with tweeters on a bracket over the center. Screwed in to a custom mounting plate to match the cheap ones.

i was going to cut up the speakers to use the frames to make fitting kits for the new ones but seems a waste of good speakers.

711684280.jpg

Edited by Gripless

• 2 months later...

What did you end up doing in the end?

I've got a spec C, so it's only got the two front speakers - no tweeters (front) or rear speakers at all.  The speakers in the front are like the "cheap black plastic cones" you describe - the speaker is integrated into the mount, so they're junk really.

From what I can tell, there seems to have been a premium option, that includes the tweeters and different speakers/mounts in the doors.  Some details here:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kg6UDS4ZgaK/learn/2008-11-subaru-impreza.html
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/electronics-car-audio/134347268-guide-replacing-door-speakers-08-wrx-impreza-spacers-adapters-instructions.html

I called around some wreckers to see if they could get the tweeters and "premium" drivers (with integrated tweeter), but it seemed to be too hard.  I think eventually I'll just go with some custom mounts and aftermarket speakers.  Could order all the premium parts from jp-carparts (or similar), but I think that'll be more expensive than just going aftermarket.

Don't worry about tweeters they aren't exactly good from factory, 

just get some two way 6 or 6.5 and gut the factory speakers keeping the frame. Then just screw the new speakers on to the top of the frame so it sits in the correct place and the factory frame to door doesn't need changing.

i just used side cutters and a knife. Took about 10 mins pre speaker to get a good fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope they are the bronze ones I got, just two way as lazy and tweeters are metal so fine down low in door. There was good room to fit them and clear the window.

no pix but just

• cut cone out at top
  • cut the magnet mount to frame thin braces next to frame
  • See if new speaker sits flat, likely not.
  • cut or snap with long nose pliers the inner wall of the original frame down about a cm at top bottom and sides
  • test new speaker sits flat, likely it will now
  • screw new speaker to frame. Depend on what the frame is like, half I had to drill holes the others the screws just fitted between the two walls to the speaker frame.

I installed foam under the speaker to seal it to the frame, comes with infinity ones in the box.

i also wrapped the outside in foam that stuck up 2cm past the top so it seals to the inner door skin for more bass. But they brought a sub because it was so cheap.

Do the rears first if you are worried.

pull the frames and have a look at them to work it out.

bit daunting to cut up the originals but it's not like it's a big deal to get replacements as they re similar for many models.

also get the speaker to subaru adapters that I listed somewhere, cost $15 for 4 shipped from Christchurch place so zero cutting of wiring either.

• Like 1