Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Getting tune... Guess the numbers

Subru

@evowrx Though it was both, but that post was meant to be pretty generic.

writing S*** to explain without lots of terms it is pretty long without pictures and I'm not saying I'm good at it or that it was complete.

Plus aren't early Subaru pistons just cut with a square bowl and only the edge was flat, nothing as bad as Honda etc.

• Admin

Thicker HG will affect both CR and quench, you're increasing the volume of the combustion chamber.

Yep even a lot of aftermarket Subaru pistons are a (rounded) square bowl.

@Inked it means you're effectively running a sliiiightly higher compression ratio, so it just means you will, in theory, require less boost to generate the same pressure on the power stroke.

• Like 2

• Admin

Have you got a dyno sheet for it? 

Seems like a heap of boost to make that power even with knock. Chris knows better than all of us, but surely that figure could have been achieved at a lower boost level which could have meant a somewhat cooler charge allowing more timing.

Mine gets 190 with a peak of 17psi and is infact down to more like 14psi at that point. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Subru said:

yes ill post the dyno sheet hopefully tommorow. Yeah 4 more psi only got me 13kw lol

Turbo has run out of puff then. Or can't get gasses out of the motor fast enough. Pretty standard Subaru stuff really.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Subru said:

190kw

365nm

First dyno run in winter got 177kw and it was 6 degrees. Today was 32 degrees. If that makes any difference.

Its the middle of summer, hot dank days will sap power. Sure it appears there is more in it, but I personally think a safe 190kw at the wheels is pretty mint, alot of fun on the street and super spooly with a baby turbo. you have an awesome car, just drive the thing and enjoy it haha dont chase numbers 🤙

• Like 4

Subaru's...

I've just been through this - compression, leak down, back pressure check. Mine was both lazy and low on power though, turned out to be the new turbo.

Another note although i'm not sure how comparable it is as they were different cars, but at least same set up/dyno/tuner - previously had a BE5 with rebuilt engine b4 heads and v7 short block (no CR check when built, and suspect it was slightly off), made 221wkw. Next BE5 had a unopened v5 sti motor and made 234wkw. Take what you want out of that

Edited by pl0x
  • Like 2

I opened the oil filler cap and when idling I can just feel it on my hand 10-15cm away from it so not too bad?

I noticed that there is a decent amount of oil around my intercooler and a random bit of oil on one of the connections on the air intake pipe that does under the manifold. The tune was also done with the intake silencer removed so the airbox was just pulling air from the behind the fenders, Probably doesn't make much difference but might effect heat and a lack of air pressure from the scoop thing that usually picks up air from above the radiator. I have pics below as well as dyno sheets. Chris did mention something about intake but he didnt seem like it was likely to be a cause.

Intercooler oil (there is more oil on intercooler not on photo):

20180127_114130.jpg

Dyno charts before and after:

20180127_114925.jpg

20180127_114939.jpg

18 minutes ago, Loren said:

190 to 200 is all I could ever get out of a vf turbo. Maybe bringing the boost down will help with the det... seems very high for a vf and a tmic. 

Chris has tuned many of these and even he was fully expecting 210 ish which is what he usually gets. Im gonna get the leak down and compression test like he suggested and then ill see if engine is okay or whatever.

Pull the intercooler and check inside for oil.

Also check the rear edge of the intercooler, that's were mine split. It's just a rubber seal pinched between the aluminum.

Turbo was pushing harder to try and keep the boost up and just making more heat since the Ecu was reading after the leak so stopped the waste gate getting opened.

all the GRB cars with down pipe only are 210-215wkw so it's a reasonable number for the ej20. It's a newer turbo but not that different.

if it's making 190wkw it hopefully won't be that big an issue yet. 

1 hour ago, Subru said:

Chris has tuned many of these and even he was fully expecting 210 ish which is what he usually gets. Im gonna get the leak down and compression test like he suggested and then ill see if engine is okay or whatever.

My money is on you not finding anything wrong. How does it feel on the road.... much better than before?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Loren said:

My money is on you not finding anything wrong. How does it feel on the road.... much better than before?

Yeah a bit better, less lag and can feel more power in areas. Not a huge difference tho. Something is wrong because Chris said for some reason he cannot put any timing in it was running a bit lean, he said its clearly not normal for an Sti. He tuned many of these so I trust him. You might be right, I might not find anything abnormal but something is making my one not take the power like it usually would. Ill let you know results :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Subru said:

Yeah a bit better, less lag and can feel more power in areas. Not a huge difference tho. Something is wrong because Chris said for some reason he cannot put any timing in it was running a bit lean, he said its clearly not normal for an Sti. He tuned many of these so I trust him. You might be right, I might not find anything abnormal but something is making my one not take the power like it usually would. Ill let you know results :)

true, they are usually making low power because they are so pig rich... never lean.

Just now, Loren said:

true, they are usually making low power because they are so pig rich... never lean.

Yeah usually really rich. He wants me to do these tests because if it has been running lean for a while it could have done engine damage. Hopefully its all good tho..

4-6psi increase resulting in 10-15kw gain seems wrong to me, but I don't know VF's, thoughts?

To me the difference in the curves to the difference in boost is pointing at intake temps getting to hot on high boost. Hot day, TMIC, possibly oil residue & turbo at it's limit could all be contributing. I would have thought you'd (/tuner) be able to see that in the data though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pappu1 said:

the boost has held well in the top end tho...

mapped through the stock solenoid or a ebc?

As mentioned the boost has held really well, mine is on stock solenoid and drops off to about 16-17 psi up top but made a bit more power. Fingers crossed there is nothing majorly wrong though :) At least you can drive it now not worrying and know its only $150.00 for touch up tune once you get any teething issues fixed.