Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil levels for track racing

J CHILN

1 minute ago, Inked said:

Thanks to all off you for the replies, this is something that is making me nervous ha ha. I have spoken with Chris who tuned my car and he said extra oil wont hurt it but unsure if it would still stop it from having issues if I went through higgens to fast.

I think the fact I will be on street tyres and this is my first time hitting a track properly will drop my chances of being to fast that I run into this issue (fingers crossed) I have got some extra oil so will top it up and see how we go, by the sounds of it and as @pedro mentioned I will try to run nice lines as well as more rolling through those corners rather than trying to power through them.

If my engine runs a bearing its going in the shed until I can stand the sight of it xD ha ha ha

In all honestly from my experience taking guys around the track when I worked for Audi unless you got F1 drivers blood in you and your car isn't tuned to the rafters you shouldn't have to worry. Since its your first time on the track what will feel fast to you a experience racer will knock 5 seconds off it easy, and thats fine, but you won't be near the limits of your car. 

But I'll see you there man, Come say hello to the Focus with the stripes :P:P 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Joker said:

Nail on the head here!

What tires will you be running? & Whats your service history like? 

@Inked

I can look at the exact model when home I know the brand is Nexen. service wise the car has only just done 3,000kms on the rebuild and has had a few services with run in oil now onto the Motul H-tech 100 plus. the car is getting a fresh service this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

In all honestly from my experience taking guys around the track when I worked for Audi unless you got F1 drivers blood in you and your car isn't tuned to the rafters you shouldn't have to worry. Since its your first time on the track what will feel fast to you a experience racer will knock 5 seconds off it easy, and thats fine, but you won't be near the limits of your car. 

But I'll see you there man, Come say hello to the Focus with the stripes :P:P 

oh thats you! I commented on your post in the 4 & rotor page I have the silver bugeye! haha 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inked said:

I can look at the exact model when home I know the brand is Nexen. service wise the car has only just done 3,000kms on the rebuild and has had a few services with run in oil now onto the Motul H-tech 100 plus. the car is getting a fresh service this weekend. 

AFAIK Nexen tyres shouldn't have high levels of grip

Make sure that your brake fluid is fresh (less than 1 year old) as well

• Like 1

2cents, Subys that I've seen have engine issues on track are usually 'ambitiously' modified/maintained and driven very hard as one would drive an N/A honda (right up near the redline all the time). Generally the standard or mildly modified ones in good nick can cruise around all day no problem. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, delta said:

Yeah I dont think they are the best tyres however I feel this may be good for me to learn what the car does and how it reacts.

9 minutes ago, YoungOne said:

2cents, Subys that I've seen have engine issues on track are usually 'ambitiously' modified/maintained and driven very hard as one would drive an N/A honda (right up near the redline all the time). Generally the standard or mildly modified ones in good nick can cruise around all day no problem. 

This is what I figure my power band is more mid ranged with the VF30 dropping off under top end anyway so I will just not bother revving it right out.

thanks heaps for all of the reply's once again, really hope some of you are attending will be good to have some more subies on the track! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungOne said:

Driven hard sure, but any car can have oiling issues. It doesn't matter how well it was built or how well it is maintained. Even dry sumped motors can run into trouble.

Edited by Loren

• General Member

I have put in plenty of laps there with the 1/2 litre extra oil and had no issues even on Semi slicks. Does seem to claim the odd Subi but I always wondered about its reputation as a Subi killer tbh.

Enjoy your time, it will be a blast im sure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Loren said:

@Gripless All of you guys wanting to push your cars really hard should get rid of the recirculating breather system anyway. 

This is very true, I have already had a return to block oil system drawn up.

2 hours ago, YoungOne said:

I keep wondering the same.

got to say using a higher gear makes a lot of sense not to pump as much oil to the heads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inked said:

I can look at the exact model when home I know the brand is Nexen.

Imo you have nothing to worry about, I don't think your tyres will be able to make enough grip to cause oil starvation (be cautious though take those corners safely) you'll have a lot of fun  :) ! I was exiting some corners like a drifting rwd in the dry last time I had street tyres on the track :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, THUNDA said:

Imo you have nothing to worry about, I don't think your tyres will be able to make enough grip to cause oil starvation (be cautious though take those corners safely) you'll have a lot of fun  :) ! I was exiting some corners like a drifting rwd in the dry last time I had street tyres on the track :P

I'll Chuck in the go pro and get some footage ! I am wanting to run street tyres for this reason. If it does slide I would like to know how to handle it 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Inked said:

If it does slide I would like to know how to handle it 

As @Loren said an autox would be better for learning how to control slides etc I found the track day at Ruapuna really good for learning about the car especially at higher speeds. Also if you do lose contol it's a nice safe place to do it. I spun the legacy at the track, definitely learned how much was too much spend into a corner. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

As @Loren said an autox would be better for learning how to control slides etc I found the track day at Ruapuna really good for learning about the car especially at higher speeds. Also if you do lose contol it's a nice safe place to do it. I spun the legacy at the track, definitely learned how much was too much spend into a corner. 

Yeah I know what use mean I am to nervous of the insainly large curbs at autox though if I spin it'll be a rim,arms and possibly suspension ha ha. 

If I spin on the track hopefully I just end up in the grass. I'm not necessarily wanting to try slide it just as you mentioned know what's the limits for the car. But being new to track I doubt I will even reach those limits ha ha . 

I am getting super excited 

1 hour ago, Inked said:

Yeah I know what use mean I am to nervous of the insainly large curbs at autox though if I spin it'll be a rim,arms and possibly suspension ha ha. 

If I spin on the track hopefully I just end up in the grass. I'm not necessarily wanting to try slide it just as you mentioned know what's the limits for the car. But being new to track I doubt I will even reach those limits ha ha . 

I am getting super excited 

The autox I linked is on grass and it's totally safe to spin or the slide the car as much as you like.

• Like 1

That's a pretty sweeping blanket statement that might get someone in trouble. My nexen sur4g have incredible grip, street legal 200tw tire that the rx7 Pro series use as a control tire and rate as fast as an r888, toyo....

Clubsub seem quite elitist on the Chinese tire hate :)

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamOst said:

That's a pretty sweeping blanket statement that might get someone in trouble. My nexen sur4g have incredible grip, street legal 200tw tire that the rx7 Pro series use as a control tire and rate as fast as an r888, toyo....

Which is why I started my sentence with "As Far As I Know", didn't know they had sporty tyres ;)

Good to know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamOst said:

That's an extreme example though right? 

Generally speaking most of Nexen tyres on the road in NZ will be the very cheap and not great for the track variety. 

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Inked said:

I spun twice on my first day at Hampton.

Once wasn't totally my fault, someone's car died right in front of me coming on to the main straight, lifted and got massive oversteer.

Second time was on the corner at the end of the straight pushing way to hard.

Both times I never actually left the track, race tracks are really quite wide.

only times I've seen a person hit a barrier at manifield were stupidity. Guy spun on exit of first turn and stayed on the track, then tried to spin the car by flooring it. Ended up drifting in to the tire wall. Wasn't like he couldn't just have turned and driven off smoothly.

Rest were just not braking hard enough to take the first turn.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AdamOst said:

nexen is korean

not quite as bad as chinese tyres

xD

ps  choice as a control tyre is no guaranteed indicator of good performance, way back in the early days of the nz production car championship they chose the awful goodyear gs-d3 as a control tyre. it was gone next season.

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, newsuba said:

ps  choice as a control tyre is no guaranteed indicator of good performance, way back in the early days of the nz production car championship they chose the awful goodyear gs-d3 as a control tyre. it was gone next season.

Worst tyre I have ever had on a WRX by far... like driving around on rounds of wood.

And R888s were good for the money... but now with the new model and greatly elevated prices you are much better off with Dunlops.

Worst tyres I've had are Michelin Primacy HP, come stock on the GT86.

Only good thing about them is that it feels like you have 400hp xD

But these kind of tyres are perfectly fine for your first track days. It could do with more progressiveness when losing grip though. AD08R are really good for that.