Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil levels for track racing

J CHILN

14 hours ago, newsuba said:

ps  choice as a control tyre is no guaranteed indicator of good performance, way back in the early days of the nz production car championship they chose the awful goodyear gs-d3 as a control tyre. it was gone next season.

Correct, but the second half of the comment of being as fast or faster than an R888, hardly a bad tyre, addresses that :) 

19 hours ago, delta said:

Worst tyres I've had are Michelin Primacy HP, come stock on the GT86.

Only good thing about them is that it feels like you have 400hp xD

But these kind of tyres are perfectly fine for your first track days. It could do with more progressiveness when losing grip though. AD08R are really good for that.

Oh man those things are god aweful, My first drive in a 86 thought something was very wrong like it was running cold slicks or something. Guess its a nice way to make the car feel epic. 

So what you guys rate of the Neuton NT5000? I've read oversea's reviews saying they pretty good not epic, but for the money, they stand out as performance tires. The old owner of the ST fitted HiFly (????) tires and at powercruise they were not bad, but need new tires as got RS rims on the way and they are 19" 

@Not_Sean remember we have chip seal roads so most american and some overseas country reviews won't help, unless you're looking for track work only.

buy 3 get 1 free for Dunlop http://beaurepaires.co.nz/Buy-3-Tyres-Get-1-Free/6772/

Used this deal a few years ago to get set of sports max and they were outstanding.

I think Bridgestone had same offer until Monday but may still honor it.

still in 19" it won't be cheap.

Edited by Gripless

2 hours ago, Gripless said:

@Not_Sean remember we have chip seal roads so most american and some overseas country reviews won't help, unless you're looking for track work only.

buy 3 get 1 free for Dunlop http://beaurepaires.co.nz/Buy-3-Tyres-Get-1-Free/6772/

Used this deal a few years ago to get set of sports max and they were outstanding.

I think Bridgestone had same offer until Monday but may still honor it.

still in 19" it won't be cheap.

Well thats the thing, the top brands are all like $300-$500 per tire, the NT5000 are $160-180 and yeah its mainly for Track use. its also just the first set, just not in a position right now to do $1000 on tires, still getting all the other things ready for racing. 

1 hour ago, newsuba said:

what size ?

factory size for these rims is 235/35/19 but I'm good up to 265/35/19. you know a guy? 

2 hours ago, newsuba said:

keep saving  for some decent tyres, you get what you paid for :)

you sure you want to go racing on 19s ?

1 hour ago, Loren said:

+1. Sell the 19s... get some factory wheels and save for some decent tyres.

17 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Maybe easier to buy something like auction 1550199774 or 1550252034 and take the tires and resell the rims.

More factory 19" rims with good tires on them come up as people thing bigger wheels are better and the stock rims go cheap.

Only reason for the Change is I was able to get original Focus RS Rims, They lighter and stronger then the stock 18's I got on now, and got them way cheaper then some lightweight Oz or Enkei rims. Main reason Why I haven't is my PCD is 108x5 so the really Nothing in NZ for me will have to order from the factory direct.  

5 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Only reason for the Change is I was able to get original Focus RS Rims, They lighter and stronger then the stock 18's I got on now, and got them way cheaper then some lightweight Oz or Enkei rims. Main reason Why I haven't is my PCD is 108x5 so the really Nothing in NZ for me will have to order from the factory direct.  

I figured the upgrade was weight saving and width, most people don't upgrade to stock wheels. Same reason I have BBS forged rims and not the ugly heavy 5 spoke.

Still look at cheap factory rims as that tyre size is on big fords and Holden's, as well as loads of Audi's.

maybe also the v8 Utes may run that as a race tyre and sell off the worn ones, usually pretty cheap and have a few trackdays left in them.

same PCD as Peugeot too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Hmmmm Ferrari or Peugeot?

hahaha Actually lets be honest It prob is one of the most confused cars, Its an American Car...  Designed in the UK, Built in Germany, Powered my Swedish engine, Sold in Japan and Owned by a South African Living in New Zeland. 

• Like 2

I blew my motor on Pepsi? (cant remember but its the last corner before the straight) because the breathers filled my catch can and starved the engine. I was on road tyres and not going hard. As Sam has said recirculating the oil back to the sump is a good way to combat the starve but it didn't fully work for me.

My current setup (which took a lot of years to get right) includes full baffled sump, two catch cans piped from opposite ends the heads so the oil is fighting the wrong way to get to each can. Irrigation blocker as mentioned above and a pipe from one head to another. 

This is of course a little hardcore setup for the occasional track day, but be aware of the catch can is all I can say. I would also recommend a baffled sump (especially if you doing more than one event)... a relatively small cost compared to a new engine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Actually lets be honest It prob is one of the most confused cars, Its an American Car...  Designed in the UK, Built in Germany, Powered my Swedish engine, Sold in Japan and Owned by a South African Living in New Zeland. 

amurican ?

2nd gen focus st wasn't sold in usa

the us focus was awful and should never have been born.

have you weighed up stock 18s with tyres vs rs 19s with tyres ?

there might not be as much weight saving as you think unless your stock wheels are stupidly heavy like my golf.

3 hours ago, newsuba said:

amurican ?

2nd gen focus st wasn't sold in usa

the us focus was awful and should never have been born.

have you weighed up stock 18s with tyres vs rs 19s with tyres ?

there might not be as much weight saving as you think unless your stock wheels are stupidly heavy like my golf.

Well Ford is American, 

and yeah they never got the ST, which heavily impacts the aftermarket parts scene sadly, but least UK went hard with them. 

With regards to Weight and all that, I'm honestly not worried about it, Think of it this way, Imagine only 10 STi's ever came to NZ and were super super limited the rest of the world (SA only got 55) and you just got a chance to get original Rims off a STi for your WRX. you would go for it as well. 

As I said maybe, later on, I'll upgrade to some serious rims but because my PCD is so weird I can't exactly browse trademe for some OZ or anything. 

You may find the rs wheels are forged and lightweight anyway, plus maybe wider.

Same as sti has forged option with the BBS, something like 2.5 kg lighter per wheel for the same size over the 5 spoke on the v11.

Better having 18x8.5 than 17x7 except for the price of tyres.

21 hours ago, newsuba said:

which rs wheels did you get ?

mk2 many spoked ones or mk3 ?

Got the MK2 RS Rims, The spoke ones, 

15 hours ago, Gripless said:

You may find the rs wheels are forged and lightweight anyway, plus maybe wider.

Same as sti has forged option with the BBS, something like 2.5 kg lighter per wheel for the same size over the 5 spoke on the v11.

Better having 18x8.5 than 17x7 except for the price of tyres.

i'll get the exact sizes for you, I know I'll need to run 5-8mm spacers (and take them off for WOF, till I can get Cert) otherwise it makes issues when on full lock turning. 

10 hours ago, Gripless said:

Spacers that size may not have the hub center ring so you end up supporting the wheels on the studs alone which isn't good.

Should be good, many guys back home run them but will have to see once the new rims are on. first, need to get them (Hopefully next weekend, if not I'll only fetch them after super lap on my way home) 

• Like 1