Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2011 Outback swap flush roof rails for integrated crossbars

BP5Nut

So after 'upgrading' from the trusty Gen 4 GTB I now have a 2011 Outback, and a slight (not exactly unexpected) problem. The roof rail setup from the GT doesn't fit the Outback. Seems to me there are a couple of options:

- Buy the fitting kit to convert the old setup (fixed screw points) to work on the new flush rails. 

- Or, investigate whether it would be possible to get hold of and fit a set of the fancy integrated / rotatable cross bar set up some of those generation outbacks have.

Mine has rails like this one:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1525173508.htm?rsqid=2c364c8651cf4b728e765f6ba6efc7b1

And I'd like the rails like this one:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1543991734.htm?rsqid=c8b202886b0944d883c18d589de4d5e6

I know it is almost certainly going to be much easier and cheaper to just get the fitting kit, but hey, I think this would be kind of fun to do if it's possible.

So; has anyone done this or investigated it before? Is it likely to be 'just' a case of removing the existing rails, finding a set of the new ones, and bolting them on? (with the small matter of probably removing all interior trim from the window sills up to get access)?

I'm guessing that the fundamental roof structure and shape probably didn't change over the model years, so it *should* fit, but some of the holes, fittings etc. probably did. Unfortunately I can't find the full set of diagrams etc. that would tell me what the differences are.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, BP5Nut said:

Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother. Those factory integrated racks are nowhere near as universal as Prorack/Thule/Rhino - no T-slots, skinnier, fixed position. Your options for accessories like kayak/ski/board carriers will be limited. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother. Those factory integrated racks are nowhere near as universal as Prorack/Thule/Rhino - no T-slots, skinnier, fixed position. Your options for accessories like kayak/ski/board carriers will be limited. 

Can you get integrated ones like what the new outback’s have? We have them and thing they are excellent.

The bars fold away when not in use. The rear bar has two positions to choose from from almost the very back to around the back passenger door. They are thinner but every mounting unit I had already has a set of brackets that fit perfectly. Have used the Thule bike racks, roof box SUP carrier ski racks and no complaints at all.

People overseas really load these things up too when they go camping. Personally if I had my own outback I’d go for this set up over have other racks now

9 hours ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Can you get integrated ones like what the new outback’s have? We have them and thing they are excellent.

That was the idea, just a slightly earlier version to work with the 2009 - 2014 series. Friends with that system on the 2014+ series reckon they a fantastic as well.

20 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

I hadn't realised they didn't have T slots; that's kind of a deal breaker as a couple of the attachments I have need the T slot. I used to have adapters for other bar types e.g. square with no slot but they have long since disappeared.

Oh well, guess i'm going with the logical, cheaper option that just won't be as much fun. Will just need to find something else on it to work on.