Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Modding a Legacy 3.0R?

OGTribal

Hey guys!

So I'll get straight to it - I am importing a Legacy Wagon from Japan in a month or so and am deciding between a 2.0GT and a 3.0r. I am leaning towards the 3.0r because of the far cheaper insurance, and I am weary of getting a turbocharged car because I want the car to last well over 6 years with as few issues as possible. I have been speaking to an awesome guy from NZ Performance in New Plymouth, but also wanted do get some insight from you guys.

I want to get a bit more power out of a 3.0r - it won't be a daily driver for me so want something nice and fun with more power than stock (might one day take it to a show but thats far down the track). Given that I don't want to spend $10-15k putting a turbo/supercharger in it, so what other mods could I do to get it some more power? I see it is around 260kw at the crank, I'd love to get over 350kw but I have a feeling this is unrealistic without a turbo or some major modding. Do you lot have any ideas on what I should be aiming for, and what I can do to go about it?

Please be as detailed as you can about parts required and possible costs, as well as any advice you have from experience! I will be doing a ton of my own research from what you guys give me before I buy the car.

Cheers in advance!

• Like 1

There is a thread here somewhere on this, use the search bar;)

From memory (I own one as well), you will get decent gains simply from a remap as the stock tune is quite conservative. Playing around the edges with intake/exhaust doesn't do much from memory and it's easy to make the exhaust sound real tinny if you knock out the mid muffler.

Otherwise, everyone gets an upgraded rear sway bar as an awesome handling mode.

in fairness this thread was hard to find as the search index for the forum is balls.

Raptor headers is the big performance gain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willisnz said:

This is what I have read too, not cheap but with those and a more free flowing exhaust system you should at least sound better, and Im pretty sure someone got a remote tune from Australia? but not sure if the guy is doing it, also try @west_minist he does remote tuning.

Do you want reliability or a sh1t tonne more power? They generally don't go hand in hand.

There is no cheap or easy way top get an extra 100 kw out of a naturally aspirated engine.

The 3.0r has plenty of torque and power (no way it has 260kw at the flywheel though)... just drive it stock for a while and enjoy it.

• Like 6

when i looked at the specs when i was buying my legacy the 3.0 was about 5kw less than the 2.0 turbo, from the but-o-meter I'd say thatd be pretty true comparing the legacy vs my old forester.

if you want to mod a car for power buy the turbo one, way easier to make more power IMO

2 hours ago, willisnz said:

Much cheaper than their super charger kit:)

http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/subaru-libertylegacy-4-gen-ez30-header/

Kido Tune or XRT (west_minst) are the remote turners with a good rep for 3.0. Good luck getting a hold of Kido, XRT is super responsive and provides great service, but is from Barbados so there is a slight language barrier.

Did I read their website right - $299 AUD??? Sounds like an amazing option

1 minute ago, SpeedySub said:

Are you going to be using it for towing quite often?

If not the you might as well go for the turbo. If its well looked after and not thrashed to death every time you drive it it should last well

I wont be towing much, if ever. Thinking about it now though, insurance for me is quoted at $2200 per year and an excess of $1400, as I'm under 21 :/ I really reckon the 3.0 would be right for me

4 hours ago, willisnz said:

There is a thread here somewhere on this, use the search bar;)

From memory (I own one as well), you will get decent gains simply from a remap as the stock tune is quite conservative. Playing around the edges with intake/exhaust doesn't do much from memory and it's easy to make the exhaust sound real tinny if you knock out the mid muffler.

Otherwise, everyone gets an upgraded rear sway bar as an awesome handling mode.

in fairness this thread was hard to find as the search index for the forum is balls.

Cheers for that xD 

I should hav mentioned I'm looking at an auto - I've seen everyone cautioning against tuning an auto...

13 minutes ago, OGTribal said:

I should hav mentioned I'm looking at an auto - I've seen everyone cautioning against tuning an auto...

That comment is only in relation to 4th gen turbo legacies as far as I'm aware (others can confirm). Plenty of tuned Auto 3.0s I believe.

It may be 299 AUD, but you'll need to get it shipped to NZ and then installed which requires cutting your stock headers out and getting this welded in. I think it's safe to assume you would spend 1k NZD, but others who have actually done it will have a better idea.

3.0 would be fine for a daily in New Plymouth I reckon, traffic can't be that bad down there;) My 3.0 chews through traffic in stop-start Auckland peak traffic, but for motorway/open road cruising it is fine on gas.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, willisnz said:

That comment is only in relation to 4th gen turbo legacies as far as I'm aware (others can confirm). Plenty of tuned Auto 3.0s I believe.

It may be 299 AUD, but you'll need to get it shipped to NZ and then installed which requires cutting your stock headers out and getting this welded in. I think it's safe to assume you would spend 1k NZD, but others who have actually done it will have a better idea.

3.0 would be fine for a daily in New Plymouth I reckon, traffic can't be that bad down there;) My 3.0 chews through traffic in stop-start Auckland peak traffic, but for motorway/open road cruising it is fine on gas.

Ah right, should be able to get it tuned then.

I actually live in Auckland, the guys in New Plymouth are just giving me a hand over email. I won't be driving it to and from work very often as it is just a 25 min trip in stop start traffic - Ill just have some fun in the evenings and weekends etc.

Thanks for all that guys, I think because I'm just about set on getting the 3.0r Auto, I don't think I'll be doing much past the exhaust and intake, ad maybe a tune. (Plus aesthetics of course ;) )

1 minute ago, willisnz said:

I'm guessing because they cost way more!

Honestly bc I know I’ll be in traffic a lot and I feel like a manual would just get exhausting xD also I’d then have to learn how to and spend time driving stick which would be just one more thing I had to do :/ 

6 hours ago, OGTribal said:

Honestly bc I know I’ll be in traffic a lot and I feel like a manual would just get exhausting xD also I’d then have to learn how to and spend time driving stick which would be just one more thing I had to do :/ 

I drive a manual MX-5 (six speed close ratio) through rush hour traffic across the Harbour Bridge ten times a week. In stop-start traffic I change gears - up or down - every 10kph.

It's really not that bad. Get the manual, learn to drive manual. Driving will be much more satisfying.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OGTribal said:

Complaining about a non-issue, particularly considering you've never driven a manual...

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but don't knock something till you've tried it mate.

Here's how I learn't to drive a manual:

One day about 6 years ago I saw a manual 3.0R at a dealer, I asked for a test drive.  The guy gave me the key.  Off I went.  It was fun.

I bought the car in the end.

The 3.0R manual is a lot better than the auto.  In the turbo I don't think it's as much of an issue.  Think of the 3.0R manual like an Accord Euro R.

With that said, the turbo can be a lot faster.

Edited by GorGasmSpecB

4 hours ago, GorGasmSpecB said:

Here's how I learn't to drive a manual:

One day about 6 years ago I saw a manual 3.0R at a dealer, I asked for a test drive.  The guy gave me the key.  Off I went.  It was fun.

I bought the car in the end.

The 3.0R manual is a lot better than the auto.  In the turbo I don't think it's as much of an issue.  Think of the 3.0R manual like an Accord Euro R.

With that said, the turbo can be a lot faster.

Then you sold it to some sucker aye. And it was more than 6 years ago. Late 2011 I took custody. 

• Like 1

Definitely go the manual if you want to have driving it in the weekends. And you get used to driving in traffic, its not that bad, most people make it out to worse than it actually is.

I miss my manual car, auto is ok but for the fun side of driving you need a manual.

Nothing better then dropping down a gear or two for a bit of overtaking.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:39 PM, boostin said:

Then you sold it to some sucker aye. And it was more than 6 years ago. Late 2011 I took custody. 

Yep, what a chump ;P

I couldn't figure out how long it has been.  That means I must have had it in 2009 or something :o  Almost a decade ago!