Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why "stock location" always disappoints

boon

• Admin
41 minutes ago, Loren said:

I thought it was common knowledge that the stock location equivalents were much smaller and therefore not the real deal? Maybe I'm just a clever clogs.

Well, the compressor and turbine wheels are the same (same CHRA) but the turbine housing is where it all goes horribly wrong, in my opinion.

The inlet size is going to hurt... 2 inch vs 4 inch! But also, I can't help thinking that the stock location turbos are designed to spool faster

and give a more stock like feel, but with extra power? It would be a bit of a shock for most people... though the yanks have 2.5 litres anyway, so maybe not such an issue.

Edited by Loren

Stock location turbo on a USDM doesn't have the brake booster etc in its way does it? Wouldn't that give them heaps more room to fit a big arse (ass in American) turbo.

as for your theory on high back pressure since the pairs of heads are out of phase the high in one is the low in the other.

so won't the pressure not back flow into the cylinder but rather equal out into the other header where the valve is closed and there is less gas.

F***ed if I explained that well, most likely not.

twin scroll is about having multiple pulses of gas combine to create higher pressure, kind of like resonance you get more rpm from the turbo from less gas. In the low pressure phase the turbo is happily freewheeling.

One thing I notice on the American forums for stock location big power turbos is they seem to using the FP black series turbos.

I don't know much about these, but is it that they run these turbos instead of Blouch/Garrets that allows them stock location and big power? Are they designed to fit stock location and still produce big power?

Also not having the brake booster could allow for a bigger turbo by having more room around it to reposition enough to fit?

Any reason we don't see the FP series turbos here? is it just cost? They seem to be the main flavour of turbo for big power in the US

• Admin
12 hours ago, Gripless said:

Stock location turbo on a USDM doesn't have the brake booster etc in its way does it? Wouldn't that give them heaps more room to fit a big arse (ass in American) turbo.

as for your theory on high back pressure since the pairs of heads are out of phase the high in one is the low in the other.

so won't the pressure not back flow into the cylinder but rather equal out into the other header where the valve is closed and there is less gas.

F***ed if I explained that well, most likely not.

twin scroll is about having multiple pulses of gas combine to create higher pressure, kind of like resonance you get more rpm from the turbo from less gas. In the low pressure phase the turbo is happily freewheeling.

Yes and no; the lack of a brake booster etc means they can play very fast and loose with the term "stock location" and have the downpipe end up way out there, which we obviously can't do, giving them the option of reasonably large turbine housings.

The exhaust pulse thing only really works when you have a good flow out the exhaust (NA or huge turbine housing) - otherwise the entire pre-turbine exhaust tract is under pressure anyway. Think of it like blowing up a rubber glove; all the fingers will have more or less the same pressure in them. There will be localised pressure differences due to valve events but the speed your exhaust travels means they won't be huge.

I don't think you get a whole lot of freewheeling in a turbo with your foot up it; I don't think they would last long if you did. Likewise in practice, especially with a piddly little turbine housing, you don't have much of a low pressure phase. The analogy I would use is if you had a huge funnel with a hose coming off it and you tipped water into it in bucket-fulls; whilst you might be filling the funnel with pulses the output through the hose will be more or less continuous and consistent. If you were able to get your exhaust gasses out of the turbine so fast that you had periods where there was no turbine flow you would never build any backpressure, whereas people who have actually tested EGBP on these cars find it regularly exceeds 2:1 of the intake pressure.

Can't compress water which is why the funnel doesn't work.

but your taking extremely short time frames "freewheeling" between pulses and like sound waves are just compression waves.

but the pulse thing is why twin scroll exists, I'm sure there is a YouTube video of that side that involves a pinwheel.

also what's the octane on American fuel there maybe a difference there too.

Is there compression difference in the USDM model compared to what we have here?