Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo options

Still thinking about upgrading the turbo and have made up my mind on what I want the turbo to do which is:

Hold boost till redline

Stock location

220-250 kw

Internal gate

Has to be on the cheaper side

Doesn't have to last for ever, will prob go twisted in couple of years anyways.

I keep coming back to TD05 20G - Genuine one worth around 1250 or closer to 1500 with a few upgrades. I dont need a garret or holset or whatever, as long as its a decent upgrade from stock its all I want right now.

Twisted turbo setup would be nice but too expensive to get everything 100% sorted, thats something for the future tho :P 

What do you all think? 

• Like 1

Fuel pump

HDI FMIC

3 inch catless DP with 2.75 inch catback

HKS panel air filter

3 port boost solenoid

Already been tuned so its just touch ups now.

IIRC my turbo is holding back my power and then injectors at around 260kw ish ? Might be wrong

TBH I would be happy with 220kw if it has a big power curve and doesn't drop off too much. Currently it reaches 190kw only briefly then goes back down. IDK how it works but having 200kw+ for a large rpm range would make it feel really nice.

1 hour ago, Subru said:

Fuel pump

HDI FMIC

3 inch catless DP with 2.75 inch catback

HKS panel air filter

3 port boost solenoid

Already been tuned so its just touch ups now.

IIRC my turbo is holding back my power and then injectors at around 260kw ish ? Might be wrong

TBH I would be happy with 220kw if it has a big power curve and doesn't drop off too much. Currently it reaches 190kw only briefly then goes back down. IDK how it works but having 200kw+ for a large rpm range would make it feel really nice.

If you are trying to aim for that mid-high 200kw I suggest to do injectors which means if you are going for a re-tune it's basically more or less a new tune due to the change of fuel system; as I've been told anyways so full price for a tune ofcourse depends on who you go to. I got mine changed to 875cc. I also upgraded the turbo and it made more power and also as what you wanted it holds it's boost and does not taper off which is what your experiencing. From start of full boost to rev limit it does not taper due to the turbo in my case.

I know some people have upgraded their stock wastegate spring to aftermarket to make it last a tad longer in the high rpm range but pretty sure it still falls off. 

Here's my dyno graph if you look at the bottom graph it holds that 22PSI quite well. 

BYwj3On.jpg

• Like 2

Why do you say this? I dont have to have injectors to be committed to a build lol... I dont want injectors because they are not necessary with the power I want therefore not worth $500 and a whole retune, why dont I just rebuild my engine too?

I want what I have written on original post. Its a daily and I dont want a 300kw daily driver right now, I feel around the 240kw mark is about right, even 220kw with lots of space under the chart would suit me, does this make me not very committed? 

GRB makes 220wkw easy with down pipe alone so you don't need a big turbo for that power.

it will drop to 17psi up top but it's not bad power from 2L that's stock.

can make 208wkw at only 14psi as there is little heat soak but that's way further up the rev range.

heati is your biggest enemy so just a big top mount will get you a long way.

What you want is more torque, for a daily driver that porbably only does pulls from the lights. You're not after mad killerwasps yo. 

Just sort whatevers wrong with it to get it to 220kw, or find a dyno that tells you its 220 as is. 

Or just go E85 with replacing the whole fueling setup then hit 260 on that standard turbo and just buy drums of E85. Easy. 

Like for the cost of buying a slightly larger turbo to get 250, you may as well just buy boons holset and chuck that in to save you time, money and heartache. 

• Like 4

I have no idea about WRX turbos, but from your description it would seem you just need something slightly bigger and with more flow.  Note people, it needs to pull to redline, not more torque.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-1589508290.htm?rsqid=b69f2217b8614643b20ab6b3fbbb61c3&estd=af%3dcat2%3a1_877%26lbc%3dtrademe%26lot%3djson%26p%3dLG%26ts%3djson-full%26uid%3d820355481%26w%3dsti%20turbo%26url%3d1589508290%26rk%3d64

I can sell you a Legacy TT with 200kw that pulls to redline :D

• Like 1

• Admin

I got 231wkw with a VF34 which has the same wheels as what you have (VF30)... though as a side note have you checked that you definitely have a VF30 on there?

So the correct answer is the same turbo you currently have, or a VF34 if you can find one at a good price. No point spending $1000+ on a turbo with a hair more flow than what you've got. Plenty of people have installed TD05s and got around the 200kw mark.

• Like 2

• Admin

The TL;Dr here is that your car as it is, with a vf30 (if that's what you've currently got) and your other supporting mods, should and will hit 220kw AS IT IS. 

If you can't hit that mark, there's either something wrong somewhere that needs fixing First. Because if you go spend silly money on a new bigger turbo but something else is broken, you're going to be in the region of $3000 out of pocket with nothing to show but maybe the same results if not a shade more. 

It's not a point of me throwing shade, it's us telling you to learn from mistakes we've made and to learn from em bud. Go find what turbo you've really got, if it's a td04 then find a good vf30 or 34 make sure EVERYTHING in your car is working as it should. Aka compression test your motor, check your injectors (flow test them) and then depending on where you are, take it for your new tune, because what you have will do what you want! 

If you're Si, take it to SAS.

lower Ni? Prestige Motorsport or whatever their name is.

Mid Ni, Keith Stewart @ dyno pro. 

Auckland area, GLEN Suckling @ GDS Automotive.  Hi-power 

• Like 2

FMIC is coming so ill get that on and a retune and ill see if that does anything. If its still 190 I have no freaking idea whats going on.

I thought all v7 sti's had vf30? Ill check anyways just in case.

• Like 1

• Admin
FMIC is coming so ill get that on and a retune and ill see if that does anything. If its still 190 I have no freaking idea whats going on.
I thought all v7 sti's had vf30? Ill check anyways just in case.
Get it on and check everything else. Check for restrictions, compression issues, leak down, anything.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You also had a lot of oil in your intercooler didn’t you? Id recommend an AOS because that much oil definitely affects your tune and can bring on knock, and an upgraded intercooler should get you a few more kws but on a v7 sti engine you should be getting 225awkw, I’ve got a v7 sti engine in my Legacy and I’m trying to get the most out of the vf34 turbo with all the right supporting mods before I upgrade.