Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aggressive wheel+tyre fitments

Saleti

Hey,

I own an '01 STi and am looking to upgrade my currently stock wheels, 

Was wondering what the best fitment and sizing is for a '01 STi, looking for something aggressive and to protrude outside of my flares as the current setup are extremely far inside my flares,

Thanks alot!

P.S don't want to go down the road of spacers

Edited by Saleti

• Admin

235/45/17 will rub slightly in the rear on a 17x8 +44 so that's literally the limit without running either stupid-spec camber or pulling the guards.

So, are you willing to run dumb (for a road car) amounts of camber and/or pull the guards to achieve the look you're after? Do you have a suspension setup that will even allow you to dial in enough camber to run a meaningfully wide rim?

i've got 18x8  wheels et48 offset with tires 235/40/18. they protrude ever so slightly out from the guards. the rear guards needed a bit of gentle bashing to stop from rubbing. i don't run crazy offset (not a fan of the look). i don't think i can bash my guards in any further so would need to flare them out or something if wanted to go wider wheels.. you can ofcourse run some low profile tyres but they drive terribly and don't look quite right.

what is the current setup? the stock 17's on the 01 STI is not so far inside flares is it? also in case you're new to this, make sure you test fit or ask the seller of the wheels to ensure that they clear brembos. its surprisingly difficult to find nice 5x100 wheels that clear brembos on a budget :)

Ok, thanks

I'm looking at 18x9.5 Rota Grids with 35p offset, 

With Toyo 245x40x18 T1R Prxes,

What do you think of that?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to roll the guards, 

And yeah I've heard about that with the brembos so i'm just gonna go through hyper drive and get a refund if they don't fit as they offer it!

Thanks 

i beleive grids should be fine

fyi can use this site to compare stock set up to your new setup (stock from memory is 225/45/17 53offset 7.5" wide on 01 sti)

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=53&width2=245&aspect2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=35

is that really a good tire profile for 9.5" wide wheels?  i don't think it would be stretched much but it seems like it's on the smaller side, just curious how that affects the sidewall design on a performance tire like the t1r

• Admin

Put it this way: I got tyre-ruining rub in the rear with 15mm more poke. You're going to have about 45mm more poke. I don't think a guard roll is going to do it, you're going to need to PULL the guard, and run a shitload of camber to get that tyre anywhere near inside the body.

If it sticks out the side it a. looks F***ing stupid b. is illegal and c. will ruin what are some quite expensive tyres quite quickly. But the camber you'll need to run (I hope you have camber plates) will do that for you anyway.

I ran Rota P1Rs 18x9 +38 with 225/40/18 (had to go that small to fit) on my version 8. Looked real good and fit just right with guard rolling. Had to spend a lot of time adjusting the ride height, cutting inner guards etc just to stop rubbing. 235s rubbed on the shop floor and got wrecked (thankfully they didn't charge me). 

Had Wedsport 17x7.5s on there prior with 215 tyres, and the car handled way better than with the fatter wheels and tyres.  Was more agile and  more predictable. Obviously less unsprung mass with the small wheels etc. 

I reckon think carefully about what you pick, especially if you want your car to handle well and not just be a show pony. It's crazy how a bad wheel and tyre choice can negatively affect handling, the feel of the car and even how responsive it feels due to increased unsprung weight.

Also with your Rota choice atm you will definitely need a spacer on the front i believe 

Edited by Niran

I have an Bugeye STI and run ROTA P1R's 18x9.5 +35 have adjustable suspension and have rolled my guards they sit just over the tyre so no gap when looking at it side on, with with my set up I can take a car load and it doesn't rub at all. I have also taken the car on the track and the wheels feel great. aside from my horrible tyre brand. I run 225/40/18 so quite low profile below is a shot to show you how much room I still have with a bit of guard work.

received_10155785080540590_zpswhl4biqr.j

received_10155785080665590_zpssycikxbv.j

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Thanks alot for your comments

So, I went with:

Rota Grids 18x9.5 38p - Toyo T1R Proxes 235/40/18 5mm Spacer on the front (clear brembos)

I had to get the Guards rolled and when I was heading home with my old wheels+tyres in the back it rubbed whenever I went over a bump

However, taking the wheels out it's great! No rub at all, went round alot of roundabouts no sweat, 

I have stock suspension but with Tein springs, planning on doing bc coils but not too sure if it's worth the money+cert etc and how much of a difference it will make to my stock suspension as I know the STi suspension is great.

What are your thoughts?

Before: https://gyazo.com/516936891492e28998121743a503c55d

After: https://gyazo.com/aeba7601386c2c7eaf80ad623f16857f

Thanks!

I'm still considering it, and I would give them 7-8/10, Auckland

Offer?

9 hours ago, boon said:

I feel like that looks good, but I also feel like the T1R's are a kinda expensive tyre to completely trash the first time you have a couple of mates in the back.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid that at the mo haha,

One at a time please!