Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Twin Scroll factory location turbo options (GRB/GDB)

im prety sure there may have been discussion on this but what are the drop in options for TS GDB/GRB sti models

(feel free to point out the relevent threads in case i have missed in my searchs)

output to be 320kw atw so something substantial i suppose

boost  - about 27psi

budget is a factor

(all other supporting mods will be in place)

the single Scroll setup have a few very nice options that dont have bolt in TS versions..

been looking at the Kinugawa TD0625G option at driven performance but unsure on its capability

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products-page/kinugawa/kwa-japan-td06-sl2-25g-subaru-twin-scroll-550hp/

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawaturbohyundaigenesistd05h16g300ps-3-1-1-3-1-1.aspx

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawagtxballbearingturbogt2971rsubarustitwinentryreplacevf36vf37.aspx

I looked at the td06sl2 options for my car when I was doing it, tried to get the vf37 housing machined for the td06sl2 but there wasn't enough material in the housing (I was told).

I thought I'd seen a 3071 or 3076 TS variant from kinugawa for the sti TS flange...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Edit: 25g sounds big for the td06sl2!

5 minutes ago, pl0x said:

Title kind of sums it up

thanks - will read through :)

1 minute ago, Jono24 said:

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawaturbohyundaigenesistd05h16g300ps-3-1-1-3-1-1.aspx

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawagtxballbearingturbogt2971rsubarustitwinentryreplacevf36vf37.aspx

I looked at the td06sl2 options for my car when I was doing it, tried to get the vf37 housing machined for the td06sl2 but there wasn't enough material in the housing (I was told).

I thought I'd seen a 3071 or 3076 TS variant from kinugawa for the sti TS flange...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

currently also investigating both of the options actually

dont have concrete details of what exactly the gtx29 will push out

think maybe 260kwatw at best..

hard to find TS confirmed results for the Kinugawa

think the one that hit 300 was TS but twisted..

i will recheck but didnt seem like they did..

maybe if there was huge demand for TS bigger turbos in stock mount then there wud be companies doing more RND in that

there is that v7 with the plate BIGBNG that is running a td06 sl2 and making over 300kw unsure what fuel its running. This is single scroll i think however shows that the TD06 is capable

Edited by Inked

27 minutes ago, Inked said:

there is that v7 with the plate BIGBNG that is running a td06 sl2 and making over 300kw unsure what fuel its running. This is single scroll i think however shows that the TD06 is capable

thats running bp 98 actually

its a greddy td06 SL-2 20g was set at 26 psi for that turbo 

single scroll that ..

pitty greddy dont make a twin scroll version for that turbo 

2 minutes ago, D1Style said:

When i was looking at bolt in options for my old V7 RA i came across this company.

Seems like there are a couple Twin Scroll options

http://steamturbochargers.com/index.php/stock-location-turbos-903/wrx-sti-twin-scroll.html

thanks - looking through now

what did you end up with on ur v7

Edited by Pappu1
spelling

28 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

thats running bp 98 actually

its a greddy td06 SL-2 20g was set at 26 psi for that turbo 

single scroll that ..

pitty greddy dont make a twin scroll version for that turbo 

thanks - looking through now

what did you end up with on ur v7

What would the Kinugawa versions stack upto the Greddy like? I have heard a lot of good things about the Kinugawa turbos.

i spent many hours going through all the bolt on turbos ( kinugawa, kando, arashi, mamba, forced performance, blouch etc ) and mamba makes some nice twin scroll bolt on gtx turbos. take a look at this, might do the trick. could have tdo5/6 twin scroll too not sure

https://shop.mambatek.com/product.sc?productId=546&categoryId=13

or a 3 inch inlet version

https://shop.mambatek.com/product.sc?productId=3031&categoryId=13

can be pretty confusing looking through the turbos on that site and all the different versions but the twin scroll ones say they are spec c

would be good if forced performance made twin scroll but they seem to have crazy good spool on single scroll and journal bearing they feel they dont need to i gather. forced performance was my first choice before i decided to go twisted efr.

mamba turbos is by the founder of kinugawa turbos before something went down and he left and started again

edit: whoops those ones have the middle scroll removed (says high flow) to make more peak hp but theres others that dont i think.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Americans own the Internet and therefore all Subarus must be single scroll now.

Tomei do their one that with cams makes 400 wheel hp which I'm pretty sure @mlracing.co.nz can get. Hks must do one as well. There may be other Japanese brands as well.

EFR one is in @Niran build thread.

J tune make a replacement up-pipe so that must open more options with its t04 flange like Garrett.

https://www.edoperformance.com/products/tr-gtx2971-twin-scroll-for-subaru-wrx-02-07-and-sti-04-18

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 9:10 PM, Gripless said:

Welcome to the Americans own the Internet and therefore all Subarus must be single scroll now.

Tomei do their one that with cams makes 400 wheel hp which I'm pretty sure @mlracing.co.nz can get. Hks must do one as well. There may be other Japanese brands as well.

EFR one is in @Niran build thread.

J tune make a replacement up-pipe so that must open more options with its t04 flange like Garrett.

https://www.edoperformance.com/products/tr-gtx2971-twin-scroll-for-subaru-wrx-02-07-and-sti-04-18

do you have any links to the J tune up pipe?

also, what is your experience on the GTx29 that some shops offer - they seem to be rated for all over from 400 -500hp (im assuming at the crank they mean)?

sucks being TS at time lol

@Pappu1 I found them somewhere else originally but... https://jtune.co.nz/products/subaru-twin-scroll-t4-turbo-kit That link is for a full kit but has links on the lower right hand side to the pipes.

twin scroll is all new to me since I got the v11 and stopped playing with NA cars again.  

Ceramic coating works about 10% more efficiency than the pipe alone but it's about $850 to get the stock headers and dump pipe done. But even the $250 to do the exhaust housing makes a difference if you want to stay stock and gain power and increase spool up.

17 hours ago, Gripless said:

@Pappu1 I found them somewhere else originally but... https://jtune.co.nz/products/subaru-twin-scroll-t4-turbo-kit That link is for a full kit but has links on the lower right hand side to the pipes.

twin scroll is all new to me since I got the v11 and stopped playing with NA cars again.  

Ceramic coating works about 10% more efficiency than the pipe alone but it's about $850 to get the stock headers and dump pipe done. But even the $250 to do the exhaust housing makes a difference if you want to stay stock and gain power and increase spool up.

thanks for that

whats ur current setup  again bro?

Edited by Pappu1

would people be interested in some Twin Scroll (GDB and GRB) upgrades that does not cost the earth...

been looking at some packages and they seem a lot of money 

we have a few test cars with better top end pull than the packaged ones but still in testing at this stage before finalizing 

• Like 1

• Admin

As per the thread that was linked, there is just a hard limit on the size of the wheels + housings that will fit in the stock location spot. And none of the combinations that will fit are good for 320wkw. Even just the limit on the size of intake pipe you can fit under the manifold will tell you that.

EDIT: A Garrett GT3071 standard front housing hits the side of the gearbox, and that's hardly a 320wkw turbo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, boon said:

As per the thread that was linked, there is just a hard limit on the size of the wheels + housings that will fit in the stock location spot. And none of the combinations that will fit are good for 320wkw. Even just the limit on the size of intake pipe you can fit under the manifold will tell you that.

EDIT: A Garrett GT3071 standard front housing hits the side of the gearbox, and that's hardly a 320wkw turbo.

sad ..very sad indeed how the setup is for us ej20 lovers...

that hitting the gbox  - is that on a TS turbo location or a SS.. someone was telling me that the TS sit slightly towards the right when compared to the SS.... never personally measured tho

• Admin

Single scroll sorry. Agreed the T/S ones do seem slightly offset so maybe some minor gains there but you do have the brake master and steering to worry about on the other side.

Even if you're "stock location" the downpipe will probably need to be slightly modified with any decent size turbine housing as it will offset the downpipe flange higher up.

What they don't tell you about a lot of the US ones is they put a spacer on top of the up-pipe. This in turn makes the under-manifold pipe fit like absolute S***, especially if you already have a reasonably large compressor inlet.

3 minutes ago, boon said:

Single scroll sorry. Agreed the T/S ones do seem slightly offset so maybe some minor gains there but you do have the brake master and steering to worry about on the other side.

Even if you're "stock location" the downpipe will probably need to be slightly modified with any decent size turbine housing as it will offset the downpipe flange higher up.

What they don't tell you about a lot of the US ones is they put a spacer on top of the up-pipe. This in turn makes the under-manifold pipe fit like absolute S***, especially if you already have a reasonably large compressor inlet.

sitting the turbo on a spacer should allow a bigger comp .. good plan but yep agreed on the under manifold pipe fitment.. unless that was also raised with some phonelic spacers

lol.. where does this stop....

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

sitting the turbo on a spacer should allow a bigger comp .. good plan but yep agreed on the under manifold pipe fitment.. unless that was also raised with some phonelic spacers

lol.. where does this stop....

Yep, big phenolic spacers help things out. Raise the turbo by 1cm and add 8mm spacers and you're almost back to where you started. But then obviously the downpipe doesn't fit, and suddenly you're like "why didn't I just go twisted?"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, boon said:

Yep, big phenolic spacers help things out. Raise the turbo by 1cm and add 8mm spacers and you're almost back to where you started. But then obviously the downpipe doesn't fit, and suddenly you're like "why didn't I just go twisted?"

you make a solid argument!!!!

back to the damm subaru design  :(

• 2 weeks later...

If the cost were approximately the same , what setup would you guys be opting for;

(setup includes- turbo,matching 3 inch downpipe , uppipe mods, oil/water fitting, intake setup etc.. )

1) stock location 260-280kw turbo setup

2) twisted 260-350kw setup