Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

NZKW headers

Mistaken them for another set of cheap headers so redacted this first bit! These look good. 

I'd go Tomei if you can find something.  Proven results. Otherwise stock will flow enough up until about 250kw +. Think some peeps on here have hit numbers like 280 on the stock single scroll ones

Yer im wanting to stay unequal so i keep the rumble but i dont mind if it goes a little bit. But interested in what people have used and if it is worthwhile going aftermarket Only going to be running vf22.

Yer im wanting to stay unequal so i keep the rumble but i dont mind if it goes a little bit. But interested in what people have used and if it is worthwhile going aftermarket Only going to be running vf22.

In my opinion there awesome headers ive only had mine on car for a couple months and there going fine. They flow 400kw+ no troubles and retain the subii rumble . Matter of fact sounds better than factory in my opinion. These are very similar too tomei headers as in welds and steel quality. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, StrokedEJ said:

In my opinion there awesome headers ive only had mine on car for a couple months and there going fine. They flow 400kw+ no troubles and retain the subii rumble . Matter of fact sounds better than factory in my opinion. These are very similar too tomei headers as in welds and steel quality. Hope this helps

Yes this does help as i was comparing both and they look similar. Nzkwcertainly look heaps better than redline.

Yes this does help as i was comparing both and they look similar. Nzkwcertainly look heaps better than redline.

Yes redline ones dont compare to the nzkw ones. Nzkw headers are 10x better even when you hold them theres a significant weight difference being the nzkw ones are alot heavier meaning theres alot more material

Ive had alot of headers and these are by faar the best. 10b48ad0750b56162aaf9042b15360bf.jpg2e11e80e44dc0b23c2cd927e97422781.jpg5e220cf557b3225097b8ea4b885056a4.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah go uel imo, I'm gutted about the Subi rumble loss I got when going el. Mine are also nzkw iirc were about 7/800, can tell they are high quality.  already thinking about getting mine modified to be slightly uel lol

Avoid ones with Flexi in the uppipe (that's what I got told my couple professionals)

• Like 1

• Admin

The US approach seems the exact opposite regarding the uppipe flexi. They end up cracking after x many heat cycles without the flexi, plus crappy sealing due to alignment issues, according to the forums at least. 

The problem with aftermarket headers is the material used is most of them are made from 304 steel, which when heat wrapped, as you will have to, will overheat and develop cracks/leak. A step-up from this would be the 321 steel, which is bit more tolerant. 

• Like 2

• Admin
10 hours ago, Niran said:

These are worth checking out: 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1623067144

Was considering them for my build. No upipe though .

Good price and I considered them as well, just for a build with some beans that 3-bolt up-pipe flange is really good to have.

I'll probably be buying the NZKW ones too. They are actually made by SSI, who makes the Tomei, Kakumei and about 1000 other headers for other brands.

• Like 2

Oh and also worth noting. Check if you actually need aftermarket headers or not. If you have an STI chances are probably not, unless you're thinking over 350wkw. 

But measure up your current headers etc first before you make a call, and talk to your tuner too :)

That $800 could go to something more beneficial (case dependent), like for my build - porting. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boon said:

. They are actually made by SSI, who makes the Tomei, Kakumei and about 1000 other headers for other brands.

Not saying that this is the case with these headers but there is the practice of binning.

ie say Tomei design and get headers made at SSI.

they have a quality standard that must be met in the contract. 

Anything that fails that isn't scrapped it is sold to another brand that has lower standards. 

this isn't a bad thing if the brand you buy isn't too low down that quality chain or is an over supply issue.

Some of the standards are based on finishing like a finer grind on flat surfaces or even little chips like the edges like @StrokedEJ last photo, though that could be as much as laying it on the edge on concrete after purchase, that can still fail quality control if done in the factory.

Having seen some lower binning levels samples from some manufacturing plants those headers look pretty tidy from the pictures. And @StrokedEJ mentioned weight is a dead give away that the material used is to save money either being thinner or lower specification. Flanges should be nice and thick too, which they are and holes are tapered.

• Like 2

so what is the point for most people where they decide they will replace factory STI headers with after market ones such as the one being discussed here? the product description says it will net extra power and spool the turbo faster, is that true in all applications or only really when chasing very high power output with modified engine etc?

Thicker steel traps the initial heat so may indeed spool the turbo faster through less energy lost as heat, so true under limited conditions. Seen dyno runs that have a few hundred rpm quicker spool with the header heat soaked over a cold set.

bigger pipe will allow higher power than the stock ones, so true agian over something well over stock hp.

factory headers may be worn from heat cycling and good heavier after market ones could be a nice option.

then they look pretty and all shiny which is the most important factor. 

Edit: Marketing is very loose with claim details as while there is likely evidence to support claims it's for pretty specific cases or tested on older or standard model factory parts.

The cake is a lie!

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 2

The factory headers well outflow the limits of a stock turbo. I know of people running above 350wkw e85 builds and the factory headers are fine (twin scroll though!)

I'm not sure on the single scroll headers limits, It's something I haven't seen much ..yet. I know they can hit 250wkw +, just not sure how high they go.

Personally amazed people with stock cars waste money on headers when they could spend that on a good set of tyres/rims/ shocks and literally go faster lol 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, slystiguy said:

Personally amazed people with stock cars waste money on headers when they could spend that on a good set of tyres/rims/ shocks and literally go faster lol 

yeh when i was trying ot research it, saw heaps of examples of otherwise stock car with just headers and exhaust changed. all sorts in the car community i guess,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so i ended up purchasing a set of these NZKW headers (for better or for worse) but they look good anyway.

what is everyones experience with wrapping them? or would i be better to hpc coat them? or are the best left as they are and make up some heat sheilds to protect engine components around them?

Isn't wrap/hpc as much about keeping heat in (heat=energy=turbo spool) as it is protecting things around it?

People say wrap causes rusted as it traps moisture, also on subaru's it's more of pain in the ass than normal as it sits below the oil filter (oil drips onto wrap).

I'm not sure if it's just sales pitch but HPC sounds pretty good, heat protection plus better performance benefits.

Anyone seen actual proof of HPC coated performance gains?

• Like 1

YouTube 

FlatironsTuning.All about heat wrap,ceramic coating and reflective heat tape.

I’ve used hpc coating on a Gc8 Rage steel exhaust system,downpipe,center and Sti muffler.Sold the Sti hpc coated muffler to a clubsub member.Used heat wrap on stainless downpipes.Never had after market headers.

Edited by Dre