Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Confusion with Oil Type for my S-GT

Soo 5w40 is my best option then considering my car has done 170 k's?

Also why is this dealer saying semi synthetic oil? I thought fully synthetic would be a no-brainer?

Edited by Shibe

yes, 5w40 will be good. Just get what ever oil you want... semi or full synthetic. He's probably saying semi-synthetic because that's what would have gone

in there when it was new and if you are changing the oil at the right intervals it will be perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Err.. What?

First number is viscosity when cold, second is when at 100 degrees. 

So when boosting the S*** out of a high KM engine you’ll potentially want a higher second number as clearances won’t be to factory spec anymore. 

Or have I just been misunderstanding things for like forever??...

Hmm I though it was 100 degrees F not C.

my bad  :$

12 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Hmm I though it was 100 degrees F not C.

my bad  :$

lols... it doesn't really matter... the point is that both numbers mean something... and it's not just down to the umm quality and umm the specific additives etc :P

• Like 1

Not saying both numbers don't mean anything.

But it is the additives the provide the wear protection and how many other things are in the oil.

and for that matter aren't additives what enables multi grade oil in the first place.

Things like race oils have less detergent and need changing more often.

otherwise why get synthetic brand name oil and not cheap unbranded stuff?

having said that I've seen wear testing where Mobil 1 got beaten by the cheaper Mobil super 1 but then it may rate better in other types of test.

27 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Not saying both numbers don't mean anything.

But it is the additives the provide the wear protection and how many other things are in the oil.

and for that matter aren't additives what enables multi grade oil in the first place.

Things like race oils have less detergent and need changing more often.

otherwise why get synthetic brand name oil and not cheap unbranded stuff?

having said that I've seen wear testing where Mobil 1 got beaten by the cheaper Mobil super 1 but then it may rate better in other types of test.

Oil unfortunately is more complex than most people can understand and the internet is jam packed with misinformation. 

@LorenI think you've taken my earlier post the wrong way.

I was only saying 5-30 or 10-40 won't make much difference, not to ignore the whole rating system for brand only.

The temp I was talking about is the one from the book base do no where the car is to be used.

oil.jpg

6 hours ago, Shibe said:

Soo 5w40 is my best option then considering my car has done 170 k's?

Also why is this dealer saying semi synthetic oil? I thought fully synthetic would be a no-brainer?

Depends who supplied them the oil and there costings and bulk purchasing, it's a business after all.

I'd stick with full synthetic for modern cars.

Edited by Gripless

• Admin

Yeah there’s definitely a hell of a lot more to it than just viscosity, but having the correct thickness at running temp is a good starting point to ensure everything that is pressure dependant works as expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Castrol Edge 5w-40 

It’s normally cheaper than the 30 too which is somewhat of a plus

Castrol is usually what I have my eye on. So the 40 really won't be too much different than the 30? Just that my cars mileage is getting up there so its probably a better idea to run 40?

Damn I never knew oil could get so technical :o

Edited by Shibe

35 minutes ago, Shibe said:

Castrol is usually what I have my eye on. So the 40 really won't be too much different than the 30? Just that my cars mileage is getting up there so its probably a better idea to run 40?

Damn I never knew oil could get to technical :o

Modern oils are very high tech... forget about understanding them before you get your Chemistry PhD :0

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Loren said:

Modern oils are very high tech... forget about understanding them before you get your Chemistry PhD :0

The thought of chemistry study, let alone going back to tertiary study makes me wanna be sick! :S

• 3 weeks later...

Ryco Z79X are good. Never use store brand ones - can tell the difference with them in your hand. factory recommends 5-30, that's what I'd be putting in unless it's burning it. I run 10-40 but it's forged with loose tolerances.