Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TMIC vs FMIC

Has anyone seen the post by Prestige Tuning & Motorsport on facebook in regards to this question? if not you should go check it out!

They just had a GC8 in with some motor work and a Tomei turbo on it and completed a dyno run with the (process west) TMIC. then they fitted a Process west FMIC and on the same boost gained an extra 35kw with the air temps maintaining 26 - 28 degrees through the power runs. 

Was so cool to see a dyno proven result on this topic. If someone isnt a computer noob like myself please copy the article to here ha ha

• Like 2

@mlracing.co.nz posted some under Process west

@pl0x embedded it in the topic on Intercooler piping

seems like for the $550 difference between the two coolers it's worth it.

id like to know how much work is involved in installing the front mount though as top mount is super quick to swap.

Plus hard to see from photo if the stock BOV mount is still there.

• Like 1

I suspect that low power reading would have been done after back to back runs to show how much power it makes once the top mount intercooler is heat soaked already, so the 35kw increase possibly isn't as good as it sounds. More that with a FMIC it can actually maintain that power, not degrade pull after pull.

The lag/response difference (or lack of) is some proof I hadn't seen before.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, pl0x said:

I suspect that low power reading would have been done after back to back runs to show how much power it makes once the top mount intercooler is heat soaked already, so the 35kw increase possibly isn't as good as it sounds. More that with a FMIC it can actually maintain that power, not degrade pull after pull.

The lag/response difference (or lack of) is some proof I hadn't seen before.

Very true had not thought of this, thanks for pointing that out. makes sense though! if that is the case it would be good to know the non heat soaked numbers to see if there was much of a gain. 

• Like 1

True there will a big part in how they tested.

Would be nice to know if they intended to write that up before they started.

hopefully it was an honest comparison, but at least it was same brand of cooler.

even still with all the pipe work and massive cooler the front mount still looks like a better deal.

would like to see the stock cooler as well :D

• Like 1

Flogging a dead horse lol

Front mount is always better. But isn't needed until you're pushing 220+wkw . Ducting and shrouds are a must in any efficient top mount setup . 

The whole lag argument has been debunked sooooooo many times. You lose like 200rpm switching from front to top, but gain probably 20wkw anyway. 

Big turbos are laggy, front mounts have nothing to do with it. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, slystiguy said:

Flogging a dead horse lol

Would you flog it on the top, or front? NAIHOC forums (North American horse  owner's club) hotly debate that at the moment. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, pl0x said:

Yes, I raced this car a couple of times in March and pretty sure he said he had closer to 270.

54 minutes ago, Loren said:

Yes, I raced this car a couple of times in March and pretty sure he said he had closer to 270.

we tuned the same turbo on a factory top mount runinng 260kw and just a little bit less boost(didnt push more power as after 3rd run it was showing heat soak)

will do a fmic next and then hoping to do 270-280kw on the same boost due to better cooling (this car gives me hope :) )

• Like 1

Does also depend on the turbo.

stock turbo is starting to heat soaking the factory cooler at 21 psi and 210 kW. Running the turbo at 14 psi gives 5 kW more power after 7000 rpm on same tune. Power is down massively everywhere else but it was an interesting test.

1 hour ago, Inked said:

Was that at 4 & rotors? Did it by any chance have green wheels 

No, Alexandra Road hillclimb and Wallaceville Hillclimb. No green wheels on those days.

2coupes.png

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

Wash your mouth out!

What about about twin scroll from new? With the filthy equal length headers?

(edited for bigger flame)

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

• Admin

Newer one's certainly should have front mount’s, no point feeding it all the way back just to keep a top mount when the turbo isn’t even there anymore. Plus with the BRZ reverse manifold in existence it’s not like it’s a fitment issue for A/C

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Newer one's certainly should have front mount’s, no point feeding it all the way back just to keep a top mount when the turbo isn’t even there anymore. Plus with the BRZ reverse manifold in existence it’s not like it’s a fitment issue for A/C

Its all just to keep the iconic Subaru bonnet scoop xD

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Loren said:

What about about twin scroll from new? With the filthy equal length headers?

(edited for bigger flame)

Twin scroll is a driveability decision; top mount is a packaging and sufficiency one; for the factory anyway. Average new car buyer would probably notice an improvement in the former while the latter, not so much.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:55 PM, Inked said:

Very true had not thought of this, thanks for pointing that out. makes sense though! if that is the case it would be good to know the non heat soaked numbers to see if there was much of a gain. 

its all kinda irrelevant because the so called advantage which one might insinuate to make it an unfair comparison is very much the whole point of moving to the superior cooling design. the true function of intercooler is not directly a power upgrade item, it is all about improving efficiency of the turbocharger system. better intercooler will provide benefits of lower pressure drop and better at transferring heat away from the charged air. from first post it was already stated that same boost level was retained but it netted more power. the reason for this would have been the ECU did not have to trigger the intake temp safety adjustments with front mount hence without even any tuning differences, the power run would have shown higher power. i know in my car with the twisted turbo setup, it was like 0.5cm from touching the top mount hence heat soak was always evident and not something i could avoid with any kind of top mount within space i got in my engine bay. intake temps not long after cold start quickly rose to 30-35, peak boost at 55 celcius which would put it at 30+ degrees above ambient temps.. with my front mount i've never seen IAT rise higher than 28 degrees even in summer

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Lol so should I buy one and crank up the stock turbo :D

then I could get rid of that iconic scoop too :P

i reckon think of it more like something that enables you to enjoy more consistency with your power delivery because ecu is not having to adjust for keeping things safe. outside a certain efficiency range a turbo will just turn in to a hair dryer and there is not really anything that will help, but yeh if intake temps are what is holding you back then go ahead by all means, otherwise dont have super high expectations :P

• Like 1