Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best Coilovers for street/track later on

Evening,

Looking at doing adjusties for my v7 STi however not 100% sure on the best product to go with.

Seems BC's are a solid entry level and am pretty tempted to go straight for them, however wondering if it would be better to fork out some more money and go with something more quality...

What are your thoughts?

Also is it a good idea to replace the control arms/tie rod ends at the same time?

Thanks in advance :)

XYZ are a lot better and around the same price.

No reason the replace the tie rod ends unless they have play. What would you replace your control arms with?

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loren said:

XYZ are a lot better and around the same price.

No reason the replace the tie rod ends unless they have play. What would you replace your control arms with?

Ok I'll have a look into them,

And in regards to the control arms not sure at all was wondering if you could help me out :D 

You can upgrade the bushes all round and get a roll center adjustment kit and anti lift kit for the front, but it doesn't sound like you are quite ready for any of that yet.

Good coil overs, setup correctly and a good wheel alignment should keep you happy for a while.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

You can look at MCA as well. The prices on the site are a bit more than you pay with shipping. But you'll get gst on top from customs.

roll center kit is only useful once you get the car really lowered otherwise it's a waste.

i suspect the alloy parts are all from the same place, but the internals and hardware like bolts and brackets maybe all different.

also the original D2 I had different diameter coils to the other brands. They were actually really good suspension if setup correctly and the default spring rates lightened.

21 hours ago, Gripless said:

You can look at MCA as well. The prices on the site are a bit more than you pay with shipping. But you'll get gst on top from customs.

roll center kit is only useful once you get the car really lowered otherwise it's a waste.

i suspect the alloy parts are all from the same place, but the internals and hardware like bolts and brackets maybe all different.

also the original D2 I had different diameter coils to the other brands. They were actually really good suspension if setup correctly and the default spring rates lightened.

MCA are good... a bit more expensive than BC and XYZ.

I have had both BC and XYZ and they are very different... I don't believe any stories about the cheaper shocks all coming from the 

same factory as it's just  bullshit propagated by people selling more expensive stuff.

23 hours ago, Saleti said:

Evening,

Looking at doing adjusties for my v7 STi however not 100% sure on the best product to go with.

Seems BC's are a solid entry level and am pretty tempted to go straight for them, however wondering if it would be better to fork out some more money and go with something more quality...

What are your thoughts?

Also is it a good idea to replace the control arms/tie rod ends at the same time?

Thanks in advance :)

I've got BCs in my legacy, awesome upgrade over all the standard S*** imo. Loads of adjustments to get it to suit your needs. I put dampening on half way and got a wheel alignment and its a different car altogether. Even helped with body roll. I have used it on track and will be using it for a grade m learner tarmac rally in June also/ can't wait ! :)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Loren said:

MCA are good... a bit more expensive than BC and XYZ.

I have had both BC and XYZ and they are very different... I don't believe any stories about the cheaper shocks all coming from the 

same factory as it's just  bullshit propagated by people selling more expensive stuff.

Though MCA blues are pretty cheap but use their "basic valuing" inside.

why wouldn't the company's buy from the same place for the alloy bits. Not like there's much gains in designing the basic tubes and mounts for hundreds of models.

all the bits inside and the fluids are the costly R&D parts that do the actual damping.

mca look Ike all the same Design cases for all but gold so money is in valuing and tuning.

• 2 months later...

Ive got xyz in my bp legacy, and I'm pulling them out because they have no travel, the rears have 90mm total, factory was closer to 190mm. Ive smashed the bumpstops to peices on the shocks. would be ok if i ran them stiff but its a family car.

I run XYZ in my racecar too, also has next to no travel but enough for tracks (the bumps at Puke is a bit sketchy tho)

I had bc golds in my old forester, couldn't fault them, did a few track days and they went awesome, had them in there for 40,000kms+ and never had an issue.

• Like 1

• Admin

Valving was what he meant. Internal valving gets changed up a fair bit as you progress up the model range. 

MCA’s main point of difference seems to be their hands on approach to getting things bang on for your particular car and what you want from it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2018 at 8:46 PM, THUNDA said:

I've got BCs in my legacy, awesome upgrade over all the standard S*** imo. Loads of adjustments to get it to suit your needs. I put dampening on half way and got a wheel alignment and its a different car altogether. Even helped with body roll. I have used it on track and will be using it for a grade m learner tarmac rally in June also/ can't wait ! :)

How to get into grade m learner tarmac rally? Of course something im years away but dreams are free lol

Does anyone use tein, kyb or Megan racing? I'll probably go with cusco just because they offer a wide range of suspension parts and ideally it should all work nicely together. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Your struts don't care what swaybar you're running. Cuscos tend to be way too firm for NZ roads, and hard to get parts for.

Tein have a huge range from "probably worse than the stock struts" to full blown serious track level.

KYB are more or less what an STI has from the factory (I think?)

Megan racing, unless I'm very much mistaken, are just another rebrander - think BC, XYZ, and about 200 other Taiwan/Chinese built struts that all look and work about the same.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swamp said:

How to get into grade m learner tarmac rally? Of course something im years away but dreams are free lol

Does anyone use tein, kyb or Megan racing? I'll probably go with cusco just because they offer a wide range of suspension parts and ideally it should all work nicely together. 

Join you regoins car club (if in auckland then Auckland car club - bit different to clubsub for example)

Then there is a guy there you can sit your license with, took me like 5minutes its like learner license test only extreamly easy

• Like 1