Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel price opinion/rant thread

1 hour ago, Inked said:

Pointing fingers at Jacinda is like saying ftp to a cop. Why bad mouth the face that represents the decision making. I am sure as stated she has an input into the ideas provided but definitely does not have final decision. 

No its not. Jacinda is the face of labour, greens and nzfirst coalition and if the coalition makes a bad decision, the PM/parties should be given all the criticism. Look at all the finger pointing and BS that the media told against John Key and its good, imagine if no one criticised government leaderships.. Saying ftp just means you're a dumbass.

• Like 1

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Subru said:

Another thing I cannot get my head around is Jacinda ditching oil exploration in NZ. She claims she is doing it for the environment

No its not. Jacinda is the face of labour, greens and nzfirst coalition and if the coalition makes a bad decision, the PM/parties should be given all the criticism.

Lolwat?

How do you figure the PM should be given all the criticism? It was equally stupid when people were blaming John Key for all of their misfortunes.

In the sentence highlighted above it feels like you are definitely attributing the actions of the government directly to the PM. This could not be further from reality; the PM is basically the manager of the government/cabinet, at the end of the day she kinda carries the can for whatever the government does but to criticise her specifically for the actions of her cabinet/party is kinda stupid.

Why should the PM be given the criticism? It's not like you can't work out who is directly responsible for these things... i.e. if you don't like transport decisions, there's a Minister of Transport (Phil Twyford) who is probably way more directly involved.

EDIT: For transparency, I'm not a Labour supporter. I just think if you're going to criticise the government, do it intelligently, don't just generically hate on the PM.

Double edit: If you swap the word "Jacinda" for "Labour+NZF+Green" then everything you have said is fine. But as I've said a whole lot of times already, if you think any of this is directly the PMs fault then you don't understand how the NZ government works.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, boon said:

If you swap the word "Jacinda" for "Labour+NZF+Green" then everything you have said is fine. But as I've said a whole lot of times already, if you think any of this is directly the PMs fault then you don't understand how the NZ government works.

Yeah exactly. The whole time I was meaning Labour+Greens+NZF but said Jacinda because she is the face of it. Obviously I know its not all the PM for decisions.

18 hours ago, IZichard said:

Made me lol. I think it is pretty common globally for the tax component to be greater than the fuel component of the price. I don't think we are the only ones in that boat.

Yeah I usually do the same, i'm not going to let the price stop me from doing what I want so i usually don't look. I pay monthly on a fuel card for a self service station so i don't even see the price I have paid until I get the bill at the end of the month anyway. 

I've only been paying attention to the main stations in town lately as I drive past them going to work each day and I have been finding it interesting watching it go up.

Wasn't diesel under a dollar around middle of last year, or am I delusional?

back at the beginning  of 2016 (I think) diesel was ridiculously cheap, combined with the 20c off per litre supermarket receipt think I think it got down to 60cents / litre. Was only for a few months, I thought it was a “start of the year thing “ but hasn’t done it since :( 

Think my utes tank is 50L so varies between 65-75$ at the moment

2.5L diesel turbo gets around 800kms

my rs cost about $120 for 98 and I get about 300kms LOL

i occasionally scan trade me for 1.3L corolla diesels, I assume the mileage they get out of a tank is ridiculously good

^_ ^

11 minutes ago, THUNDA said:

i occasionally scan trade me for 1.3L corolla diesels

that's disgusting bro just ride your motorbikes everywhere lol.

does the fuel prices have anything to do with emissions targets and all that? zero emissiosn by 2050? http://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/10/20/jacinda-ardern-commits-new-zealand-zero-carbon-2050/

ie. we have about 32 years left to YOLO the crap out of our car enthusiast lifestyles before we settle down in to electric wheel chairs?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

that's disgusting bro just ride your motorbikes everywhere lol.

Gotta keep them fresh for the zombie apocalypse/ deep impact style comet. I have a quad now too lol 

• Like 3

• Admin

Did any of you Auckland lot make submissions against the RFT (Regional Fuel Tax)?
https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/have-your-say/Pages/ak-have-your-say-consultation.aspx

I certainly did.

Also, fight with your wallet!
I use Gaspy to find the cheapest fuel near me, with Mobil 98 usually being approx 20c/L cheaper than BP.
Haven't been to BP since last year purely due to price difference.

12 hours ago, mlracing.co.nz said:

Saw a snap yesterday that showed one place over 3$ already

Hmm photoshopped maybe.

@boon :D so good...

Tldr "it's all F***ed, enjoy it while you can"

In Auckland 98 is the same as it was in 2005 when I filled up last week.

have you thought about the price difference is based on yearly profit.

Say each station owner want 1 million dollars profit.

to get that in auckland you'll have more people paying so need less margin, in the middle of nowhere the price is way higher but less people both make the same overall.

Now take prices from the post @Niran made on price breakdown, what are we missing :confused:

the fuel cost is already contains a huge amount of profit to say BP ¬¬

since they own all the BP connects (go are privately owned) they then make the listed profit as well ¬¬

so they make about a $1 or 50% profit not the margin only. Yeah you got suckered and distracted :$

So why the Blah blah blame government taxes?

It all gets worse as the flow on effect is that if more people move to public transport (blah blah not here yet whining) the fuel price will start to go up even further to maintain profit levels.

Spoiler

Off topic but...

how about this which is a whole new level of F***ed up!

kids born in the last 5 years (more likely Europe and USA) are likely never to learn to drive and self driving cars will be there standard.

also as part of this think bikes could be phased out to unless they are made self driving too.

• Like 1

Heres our fuel/refined/crude oil imports 2017

United Arab Emirates-  1.88B 

Singapore- 1.14B 

Malaysia - 625M 

Republic of Korea - 618M 

Russia - 294M 

Saudi Arabia - 154M 

Japan- 126M 

Australia- 119M 

Qatar- 114M 

Usa- 51M 

Source- statistics nz 

Most of our crude gets exported because its such a high quality it offsets our production of refining low quality crude. Australia buys most of it of our good stuff.

As much as i hate the Gubment (all of em equally) they aren't the sole factor here. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when our review of Defense forces in the sandpitts come up in, november, i think? Almost willing to bet that we'll keep boots on the ground over there. Freedom, Oil and all that other fun stuff.

Since i live in Levin now I have a Glorious Gull station locally, diesel and 91 are both 30C cheaper then welly and Gull 98 is about 30C i think. 

BP 91 currently 2.06, Diesel 1.35

Gull 91 1.99, 98 2.14 , diesel 1.28 

BP in otaki, is 13 minutes down the road, 98 2.44, and the usual for 91. 

We're definitely in for an interesting ride. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Subru said:

whattt the fk.

lol whats wrong with wellington :( 

Bought a house, too many toys, all my friends require a garage so not ideal to have flat mates. Plus it was ridiculously cheaper then shitholes next to mosques in cannons creek. 

And I'm half way closer to Manfield then you lot now ;)

• Like 6

• General Member

Lol politics... Until we stop treating Political parties like sports teams we wont get very far.

Bottom line is if you want to play you have too pay, neither the Govt (of any denomination) nor oil company's have any interest in lower fuel prices. Much like many home grown NZ company's the gouge is on so they take it with both hands. You dont have to look far in NZ to see local company's who charge a ridiculous mark up in NZ simply because they can while exporting far cheaper. They gouge locally to subsidize internationally because they work to the mentality that they would rather have 1% extra profit than 10% extra customers in a local setting. A little OT there, sorry...

I must admit every time I fill up in the U.S. the petrol head in me gets a little tingle. Last Tuesday I took a Chevy Suburban from Quarter to full for about 60 USD... God bless America lol :D

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chulozumo said:

On a side note, anyone know if theres any rules around making Ethanol? 

My Merican friends keep trying to convince me to get a still 

Pretty sure you wouldn't be able to make it to sell commercially... other than that... I can imagine there will be any laws. We are not in a state of prohibition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chulozumo said:

On a side note, anyone know if theres any rules around making Ethanol? 

My Merican friends keep trying to convince me to get a still 

Pretty sure health and safety and local bylaws will F*** you being its flammable.

zoning of the property will likely be the first issue unless you are on a lifestyle block.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

I use Gaspy to find the cheapest fuel near me, with Mobil 98 usually being approx 20c/L cheaper than BP.
Haven't been to BP since last year purely due to price difference.

Dam i wish we had mobil 98 in the south island, the onlly choice we get is BP!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Pretty sure health and safety and local bylaws will F*** you being its flammable.

zoning of the property will likely be the first issue unless you are on a lifestyle block.

Depends on quantity. Nothing dangerous about making a bottle or two to drink :)

• Like 1