Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyres for street & play days on track

Hi all,

Before Flat Nats I am wanting to get a new set of tyres for the wrx as last time I hit the track I had some Nexen N3000's on it (not ideal) but was my first time on a track and didn't think I would out perform them. 

I am wanting to be able to brake a bit later and learn better lines this time so would like the confidence of having a good set of tyres holding me to the ground. I have been told to get the Michelin sport pilot 4 ? 

What are your recommendations? 

TIA

6 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Are you putting them on rims that will be only track type use? If so for good bang for buck I have used the Achillies 123s and have found them excellent in dry and not too bad for a simi slick in the wet.

I should have mentioned they will be on a set of rims that will be on the car at all times. I have considered getting the car another set of wheels for track use but I would like a tyre that could perform both on the street and on the track. to be fair I drive the car once in a blue moon, I have done 5,000kms in 24 months so tyre wear should not be a major issue.

On my turbo Civic i have at the moment and a couple of cars before this one, i have Zestino Gredge 07RS Semi Slicks and they work mint in both wet and dry, street and track and are really well priced too.

It is a lower end semi but definitely does the trick.

• Like 1

what car are they going on ?

the michelin pilot sport 4 is a superb road tyre.

seemed very popular at the last playday too.

just be aware different sizes are made in different plants - i've seen them from spain, thailand, portugal ?

everywhere but france !

i have a set of pilot sport cup 2's coming for my new car (off a new focus rs).

the ultimate road tyre but not so great in winter.

car owner switched to the new pilot sport 4s.

I've got Bridgestone RE003 on my WRX. They've managed to be better the the preceding RE002 in ride and noise, and managed to survive Hampton Downs. I know several cars who had them fitted at the last flatnats who swear by them. 

As a daily they seem better in the wet then the performance Toyo and Falkens I've tried. I've heard they're not the best in very cold situations though. 

In the standard 205/50/16 fitment my car takes I I've usually managed to get then for about 200 a corner. 

Also if you've heard of mighty car mods, it's the tyres they fitted to 2 sexy and Gramps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newsuba said:

what car are they going on ?

the michelin pilot sport 4 is a superb road tyre.

seemed very popular at the last playday too.

just be aware different sizes are made in different plants - i've seen them from spain, thailand, portugal ?

everywhere but france !

i have a set of pilot sport cup 2's coming for my new car (off a new focus rs).

the ultimate road tyre but not so great in winter.

car owner switched to the new pilot sport 4s.

The tyres will be going on a V7 WRX sedan. my mate has them on his RX7 and was using them at superlap and said they are great so curious as to what to go with. 

Yeah was not aware of the different sizes coming from different areas. have you heard of the quality differing depending on where they are made? 

47 minutes ago, Firenza said:

I've got Bridgestone RE003 on my WRX. They've managed to be better the the preceding RE002 in ride and noise, and managed to survive Hampton Downs. I know several cars who had them fitted at the last flatnats who swear by them. 

As a daily they seem better in the wet then the performance Toyo and Falkens I've tried. I've heard they're not the best in very cold situations though. 

In the standard 205/50/16 fitment my car takes I I've usually managed to get then for about 200 a corner. 

Also if you've heard of mighty car mods, it's the tyres they fitted to 2 sexy and Gramps. 

Thanks for the info :D with the RE003's will they last longer than one track day? depending on the sessions or are they quite soft and may chew through them fast. most likely going to be doing 3 track days over the next 10 months 2x manfeild and 1x taupo so rather not buy 3 sets of tyres ha ha. 

not heard anything about country of manufacture vs. quality on the ps4.

if you want long wearing tyres, look no further than laufenn (treadwear 360) or achilles (treadwear 400).

you may not stay on the track but you'll have plenty of tread left.

:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inked said:

Thanks for the info :D with the RE003's will they last longer than one track day? depending on the sessions or are they quite soft and may chew through them fast. most likely going to be doing 3 track days over the next 10 months 2x manfeild and 1x taupo so rather not buy 3 sets of tyres ha ha. 

Yes you'll easily be able to get 6+++ out of them, they're a good tire but nothing on a semi slick grip wise. Nankang NS2R's are excellent, seeing more and more nankangs at trackdays particularly the AR1's but probably a bit much for the road as well.

Currently trying to burn through a set of RE002's that I hate and 4 trackdays haven't made much of an impact on them :/

Edited by YoungOne
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, YoungOne said:

Yes you'll easily be able to get 6+++ out of them, they're a good tire but nothing on a semi slick grip wise. Nankang NS2R's are excellent, seeing more and more nankangs at trackdays particularly the AR1's but probably a bit much for the road as well.

Currently trying to burn through a set of RE002's that I hate and 4 trackdays haven't made much of an impact on them :/

Awesome good to hear, road wise the car does not see a huge amount of driving anyway. I have heard a few average reviews of the RE002's as well. so I will stay clear of these. 

So far looks like the PS4's or the RE003's they are both a similar price. with the RE003's Bridgestone normally have the buy 3 get one free deal on their tyres so this could be of benefit.  

A front pair of Bridgestone RE002’s and 003’s would last me just over 10,000-12,000 K’s.The last decent road tyres Bridgestone made were the so2’s.Changed to Michelin pilot sport 2,3 and 4’s.Way better k’s out of the Michelin’s,quieter,better grip,turn in and great in the wet.Had a new set of 3’s on my Legacy,as soon as the 4’s arrived I swapped them out.The first shipment of pilot sport 4’s were a softer compound and had less writing on the sidewalls.The NZ tyres have a harder rubber compound.I have the 4’s also on my Outback.

Edited by Dre
Addition.
  • Like 1

Dunlop DII’s 

awesome on the track, tried my best to break grip but couldn’t do it! (Without crashing :p)  Havnt done a lot of road driving on them but they were fine during rain etc, I don’t drive fast when I’m not on the track so can’t say what they’d be like on a wet road while pushing it.

what track days are you doing? Is it the play day ones? I’m keen as on any I might have missed ^_ ^ there’s a sweet tarmac sprint happening just outside of Hamilton - a Msnz event Hamilton car club is putting on - on June 10 if your interested I’ll be there ^_ ^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dre said:

The last decent road tyres Bridgestone made were the so2’s.

The first shipment of pilot sport 4’s were a softer compound and had less writing on the sidewalls.The NZ tyres have a harder rubber compound.I have the 4’s also on my Outback.

s02 is still current and quite different from the old s-02.

as good as past bridgestone greats like the re070 and re01r ?

with regard to softer compounds on the ps4, there's also a ps4s

that's a totally different tyre and replaces the old supersport

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 1

I’ve had Bridgestone re711’s on a gc8,can’t really comment on tyres I haven’t driven on.The s02’s were the old model.Replaced them with s03’s,didn’t like them.I looked at the ps4s,softer sidewalls,softer compound and way more expensive then the ps4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THUNDA said:

Dunlop DII’s 

awesome on the track, tried my best to break grip but couldn’t do it! (Without crashing :p)  Havnt done a lot of road driving on them but they were fine during rain etc, I don’t drive fast when I’m not on the track so can’t say what they’d be like on a wet road while pushing it.

what track days are you doing? Is it the play day ones? I’m keen as on any I might have missed ^_ ^ there’s a sweet tarmac sprint happening just outside of Hamilton - a Msnz event Hamilton car club is putting on - on June 10 if your interested I’ll be there ^_ ^

I am planning on flat nats this year then will do super lap early 2019 at Manfeild and taupo round . 

Would be keen to do more this year but going on holiday and want to get a few more parts Haha. 

Will you be attending flat Nats and potentially superlap ? 

1 hour ago, Dre said:

A front pair of Bridgestone RE002’s and 003’s would last me just over 10,000-12,000 K’s.The last decent road tyres Bridgestone made were the so2’s.Changed to Michelin pilot sport 2,3 and 4’s.Way better k’s out of the Michelin’s,quieter,better grip,turn in and great in the wet.Had a new set of 3’s on my Legacy,as soon as the 4’s arrived I swapped them out.The first shipment of pilot sport 4’s were a softer compound and had less writing on the sidewalls.The NZ tyres have a harder rubber compound.I have the 4’s also on my Outback.

Yeah sounds like the Michelins are looking like the way to go from what people are saying

I know I could go for a really good semi slick but I dont think my novice driving on track would push them 

I ran Falken FK 452s on my Legnum VR4. Were 19 inch wheels and tyres were 225/19/35. That combo with bilstein shocks was sheer brilliance. Handled like it was on rails. Did wear out pretty quick though. May have only got like 10k on em.

My version 8 STI came with re003s. They were a 215/17/45 if I remember correctly. Handling was amazing. Very very predictable and responsive. Had so much confidence driving with them on. Wheels were Westport forged 17s I think.

Then switched to Rota 18x9s on Michellin Pilot Sport 3s 225/18/40. I personally found that combo a bit weird. Couldn't really feel the road as well, wasn't as predictable and didn't have a lot of confidence at the limit.

The current 2011 STI has re003s in a 245/18/40 config (if I remember correctly). Feels great and predictable again. 

Lots of options and opinions with this one aye! Going off my experience I'd recommend re003s. Thats just me though :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Niran said:

I ran Falken FK 452s on my Legnum VR4. Were 19 inch wheels and tyres were 225/19/35. That combo with bilstein shocks was sheer brilliance. Handled like it was on rails. Did wear out pretty quick though. May have only got like 10k on em.

My version 8 STI came with re003s. They were a 215/17/45 if I remember correctly. Handling was amazing. Very very predictable and responsive. Had so much confidence driving with them on. Wheels were Westport forged 17s I think.

Then switched to Rota 18x9s on Michellin Pilot Sport 3s 225/18/40. I personally found that combo a bit weird. Couldn't really feel the road as well, wasn't as predictable and didn't have a lot of confidence at the limit.

The current 2011 STI has re003s in a 245/18/40 config (if I remember correctly). Feels great and predictable again. 

Lots of options and opinions with this one aye! Going off my experience I'd recommend re003s. Thats just me though :)

Your ps3 225’s may have been a bit stretched on the 9” rims...

Edited by Dre
Grammar
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Inked said:

am planning on flat nats this year then will do super lap early 2019 at Manfeild and taupo round . 

Depending on what class you're looking at isn't the street class in superlap limited to a 200 treadwear rating or thereabouts anyway?

8 minutes ago, YoungOne said:

Depending on what class you're looking at isn't the street class in superlap limited to a 200 treadwear rating or thereabouts anyway?

The street class are 180 or above, I am not that clued up on the treadwear etc so I will make sure to check with the tyre company 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I have had some quotes and the tyre shop has recommended for the track & street to provide good grip & wear I should go for the RE003's or Nitto Invo? 

They both are the same price for a set also, there is some good feedback in here for the re003 however has anyone had experience with the Nito tyres? 

Before you buy anything talk to Neil at Neil's Wheels. He supplies lots of clubsports people in Wellington and will be able to give you good advice and prices.

027 248 3979

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Inked said:

Hi all, 

I have had some quotes and the tyre shop has recommended for the track & street to provide good grip & wear I should go for the RE003's or Nitto Invo? 

They both are the same price for a set also, there is some good feedback in here for the re003 however has anyone had experience with the Nito tyres? 

Check out May issue ‘MOTOR’ car mag for 11 x tyre test.Includes Nitto Invo but no Bridgestone or Michelin’s.

• Like 1