Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyres for street & play days on track

18 hours ago, Inked said:

Hi all, 

I have had some quotes and the tyre shop has recommended for the track & street to provide good grip & wear I should go for the RE003's or Nitto Invo? 

They both are the same price for a set also, there is some good feedback in here for the re003 however has anyone had experience with the Nito tyres? 

the only road nitto worth investigating is the nt05, unfortunately it's size range is not subaru friendly.

tremendous dry grip, average in the wet.

the invo is more style statement than great tyre - for the sema crowd.

re003 or invo ?

none - michelin pilot sport 4 is competitively priced now.

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 5

On 6/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, Dre said:

Check out May issue ‘MOTOR’ car mag for 11 x tyre test.Includes Nitto Invo but no Bridgestone or Michelin’s.

Then its not really a good test at all, I mean the RE003 and Pilot sports are prob the best-rated tires out there from the Hot Hatch guys. I can speak volumes for the PS3's they were amazing on the track.

7 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Then its not really a good test at all, I mean the RE003 and Pilot sports are prob the best-rated tires out there from the Hot Hatch guys. I can speak volumes for the PS3's they were amazing on the track.

Didn’t say it was a good test.Personally I don’t rate the RE003’s.I’ve owned a few sets of these on different Subaru’s.The PS2,3 and 4’s are way better.I’ve had all three models of the PS on different Subaru’s.Currently have the PS4’s on my Legacy and Outback.Swapped out the new PS3’s on my Legacy for the PS4’s.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feed back guys :) threw me off a little when i called the tyre shop and asked for a quote on the PS4s and RE003's and he was like "why do you want the PS4 they are a street tyre over a track / street". 

Sounds like they are great though and this is what I had been recommended from the beginning so I will keep that option open. I am going to have a think about it over the next couple of weeks then will have to bite the bullet and buy a set of something :/ 

Sounds like a lot of you have tried a lot of tyres so all I can do is grab a set that has been mentioned a lot and if I don't like them try a different type next time. 

Will give the shop a call once again and ask for a price on the PS4 as they didn't even give me one. 

26 minutes ago, Loren said:

The RE003 is also a street tyre... I thought you wanted a street tyre that will be ok for a track day as well? If you want an actual race tyre... just get some Dunlop 03Gs and be done.

I should of worded that differently I have had so many conflicting opinions, the tyre shop i was talking to gave me a quote on RE003's for $1,147.00 fitted. he said that the PS4 performed like a full street tyre compared to the RE003 (this was bridgestone that said this) 

I then spoke with Beaurepaires and they told me that the PS4 was the best street performance tyre out at the moment and they can do them for $1,211.00 fitted. They said that the PS4 was a whole lot better than the RE003. 

So I am more confused as to what one to go for, I do want a tyre I can drive on the street and the track. more referring to them as a street tyre compared to a full semi slick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inked said:

I should of worded that differently I have had so many conflicting opinions, the tyre shop i was talking to gave me a quote on RE003's for $1,147.00 fitted. he said that the PS4 performed like a full street tyre compared to the RE003 (this was bridgestone that said this) 

I then spoke with Beaurepaires and they told me that the PS4 was the best street performance tyre out at the moment and they can do them for $1,211.00 fitted. They said that the PS4 was a whole lot better than the RE003. 

So I am more confused as to what one to go for, I do want a tyre I can drive on the street and the track. more referring to them as a street tyre compared to a full semi slick. 

Talk to Neil at Neil's Wheels for a most likely better opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inked said:

They are not wrong.. kinda. Yes they both Street tires, but that said.. Ferraris and lambos come with street tires so nothing negative there. 

All the hot hatch guys also highly rate the PS's above the RE's personally having used the PS3's on the track they were amazing. 

If however you want to go a step beyond thats where things like the Toyo 888 and some of the Zestio's come into their own, they road legal and give crazy grip on the track but think they suffer somewhat in the wet so will have to think if they are for you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

They are not wrong.. kinda. Yes they both Street tires, but that said.. Ferraris and lambos come with street tires so nothing negative there. 

All the hot hatch guys also highly rate the PS's above the RE's personally having used the PS3's on the track they were amazing. 

If however you want to go a step beyond thats where things like the Toyo 888 and some of the Zestio's come into their own, they road legal and give crazy grip on the track but think they suffer somewhat in the wet so will have to think if they are for you. 

running with a tyre like the R888 will this allow me to be in the same class for superlap next year or is this when you have to step up to the big boy class (not ready for that) haha 

1 hour ago, Inked said:

running with a tyre like the R888 will this allow me to be in the same class for superlap next year or is this when you have to step up to the big boy class (not ready for that) haha 

You will trash a good set of road tyres on the track and trash a good set of track tyres on the road.The road tyres discussed eg. RE003 and PS4’s are mid range performance road tyres,made for everyday weather conditions,must have decent wear,ride well and be relatively quiet on our shitty NZ roads.I used cheap Yokahama’s (can’t remember which type,I sold a set 16” rays te37 mags with Yokohama tyres to ginganinga) as they did the job and I didn’t care if I wrecked them.

Would you play a game of rugby in dress shoes and go out to town in your rugby boots.

• General Member

TL:didnt read 

KINGSTARS or what ever you use on the road

1. good driver training
  2. it isnt a race
  3. you don't win by going faster on the track or setting superlap times
  4. hella fun
  5. wont kill your engine (low g forces / oil starvation etc
  • Like 3

Yeah but....Crappy road tyres take the gloss of a track day when they turn to chewing gum after 3 or 4 laps..

You end up understeering and the oversteering all over the place..

If you value your car and your life the best option is a set of rims with road tyres and and a set of rims with the stickiest tyres you can afford..

Change the wheels when you get to the track..

• Like 3

• General Member

brake fade & stuff meant I had to learn to slow down / look after my car :P or better prep

made it to 230 thousand KM's before heater hose cracked & blew headgasket!

Your Method May Vary :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pedro said:

Yeah but....Crappy road tyres take the gloss of a track day when they turn to chewing gum after 3 or 4 laps..

If you value your car and your life the best option is a set of rims with road tyres and and a set of rims with the stickiest tyres you can afford..

This is what happened to me my tyres felt like they were sludge after 2 hot laps and i was getting more tail happy than half the rwd cars haha. Good point though another set of wheels could be a go. I will just get the best value street tyre I can afford. may as well not skimp as they are the only thing holding me to the ground and see how we go. 

• Like 2

I use Nexen SUR4G on my track/weekend mx5 and love them. Cheap, tons of grip on track and seem fine on the road. Rx7 guys use them as a control Tyre and rate them as good as an r888.

Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pedro said:

That will happen with a too sticky tire as well... for 03g a hard compound is needed... mediums will turn to butter in 3 hot laps and leave vast amounts of rubber spaghetti all over the track and the inside of the rims and up in the wheel wells :)

• Like 1

• Admin

Dare I throw another competitor in the ring but Toyo T1 Sport has been very good for the $$ for me.

Devil's advocate: put Zetum ZU37's on your daily rims then some proper tyres on your track rims :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boon said:

Dare I throw another competitor in the ring but Toyo T1 Sport has been very good for the $$ for me.

Devil's advocate: put Zetum ZU37's on your daily rims then some proper tyres on your track rims :D

ooohh I can top that, I've been Running HiFly tires, and so far they have done 2 Super lap events, and daily driving in between and they have been fantastic, I mean they are no PS4's and my lap times suffer heavily on them BUT for a daily tire at around $70 for 18" I honestly cannot complain and will continue to run them as dailies and if you on a tight budget and want to do a chrome/powercruise they'll work as long as you under 250bhp. Don't think they'll handle anything above that. 

I'm also looking at the Nexen tires for next season on a second set of rims 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for crashing this topic but seems like your matter was resolved, thought I'll grab a few opinions on mine!

shopping around for set of 245 40 19 for RWD Vehicle (infiniti g37s).

extremely unlikely to see track use, might see the odd spirited driving in summer but nothing significant in winter other than commutes etc. less so now with rising fuel prices might just stay at home and uber eats all day every day.

factory setup is 225 45 19 front, 245 40 19 rears but other popular setups i read are 245 40 19 all around (ability to rotate for tyres to last longer with no significant handling impacts, 0.95% speedo diff) or alternatively the "+0" sizing 245 40 19 fronts with 275 35 19 rears. initially wanted to go latter route but found how expensive 275s are and given that won't be able to rotate the tyres, i won't get as much life out of them either. then again my rear wheels are 9", fronts 8.5" so i have some concerns about if rotating is actually viable or not lol.

Received a few quotes so just tallying up some of the ones i seen.

245 40 19

4 x Toyo Proxes T1R $1315 fit/balance+alignment. (hyper)

4 x Bridgestone Potenza RE003 $1450 fit/balance+alignment.  (tonys)

4 x Michellin Pilot Sport 4 $1700 fit/balance, $100 extra for alignment. (beaurepaires)

Tonys offer tyre insurance for about $14 per tyre and beaurepaires have something similar, i'm guessing that is highly worth while?

It's one of those journeys that leads me down the whole 'spend a little more now and get something significantly better' rabbit hole and not entirely sure exactly where to stop lol. if money was not as tight it would be a real easy choice to go for the MPS4 or even the 4S.

anyone out there can do club deals or anything hit me up :P

Edited by Batbaruman
  • Like 1

i'd forget about rotating, like shuffling the deckchairs on the titanic. xD

although with asymmetrical tyres like the ps4 you can swap from side to side.

stick to the stock staggered setup or budget for 9in front wheels too ?

245/40-19 is a funky size ?

toyo t1r's are positively stone age tyres, even the re003 is better.

pilot sport 4 is the flavour of the moment.

the ps4s is substantially more expensive.

some cheaper/less expensive tyres to explore - toyo t1 sport, hankook ventus s1 evo, yoko advan v105

• Like 2