Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Possum Bourne Hybrid TD05 reviews?

J CHILN

Hi all, 

I have been wanting slightly more punch than my VF30 can pack on my V7 wrx sti. so have been looking at some bolt on options that are reasonably priced, I know how some of you feel around a stock location turbo however I think in my case I am not chasing massive power would just like a bit more punch than 210kw and something that holds power to the higher RPM range. 

I have been speaking with Patrick from Possum Bourne briefly around their Hybrid TD05 that they do and by the sounds of it you can achieve up to 275kw range and it spools like a VF while holding power AND has a good price tag. 

Has anyone had any personal experience with these? or could point me in a good direction. I know they have a really good reputation on here which is making me lean towards this over a Kinugawa or Tomei application. 

TIA

• Like 2

I don't know about these, but if from PBMS, I would definitely trust them, plus they are local so if you do haave an issue its easy to get hold of them.

Sounds like a good turbo upgrade, but what sort of  price difference is there between the PBMS TD05 and a Kinugawa one?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

I don't know about these, but if from PBMS, I would definitely trust them, plus they are local so if you do haave an issue its easy to get hold of them.

Sounds like a good turbo upgrade, but what sort of  price difference is there between the PBMS TD05 and a Kinugawa one?

This was my thinking! I am from Wellington but they are happy to post down to me. Price difference if pretty much bang on with the Kinugawa so its sort of a given to lean towards the PBMS one.  I think they they have dyno proven results from their turbos is another great reason. would love to know if someone here has run one.

I didn't tell them I was a CS member (unsure if there are any discounted rates?) 

will be good to see what you get form this

i assume its a stock location setup?

we went with a twisted td06 for 300kw 

depending on price i would agree with you to be leaning towards the pbms vs a kinugawa

• Like 1

• Admin

A TD05 that spools like a VF and makes 275kw is more commonly known as a BorgWarner EFR and has a whole lot more technology in it than the trusty old TD platform.

Seriously, I have a feeling those conditions are mutually exclusive unless they're sprinkling a whole lot of magic dust on it.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, pedro said:

Your logic is sound Inked..

Better the devil you can find when things go lopsided..

If the price is the same as importing ie $1100..Then go for it..

So for the TD05 with billet upgrade from Driven performance its 1750 and the possum bourne turbo is 1850.. so not a lot in difference

Where can you source them from for 1,100 :/ 

• Admin

Time for some quick maths - a TD05-20G will flow about 45lb/min at the very edge of it's map. Using a solid rule of thumb of 10hp/lb you get a 450hp turbo. Making ~337 flywheel kilowatts; applying typical Subaru drivetrain losses I get 250wkw. Which is pretty typical of a TD05 run to the ragged edge.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boon said:

A TD05 that spools like a VF and makes 275kw is more commonly known as a BorgWarner EFR and has a whole lot more technology in it than the trusty old TD platform.

Seriously, I have a feeling those conditions are mutually exclusive unless they're sprinkling a whole lot of magic dust on it.

Yeah I was thinking its quite high but then as @Pappu1 mentioned he has got 300kw from a td06 so could work? 

I recall someone on here had a Kinugawa td05 20g and make about 225 - 230kw but unsure who it was.

I just want something that doesn't involve twisting and can give me 250kw haha I will be happy -_-  

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Inked said:

Yeah I was thinking its quite high but then as @Pappu1 mentioned he has got 300kw from a td06 so could work? 

I recall someone on here had a Kinugawa td05 20g and make about 225 - 230kw but unsure who it was.

I just want something that doesn't involve twisting and can give me 250kw haha I will be happy -_-  

The simple answer is my twisted setup which is cheaper than both the DPR and PBMS turbos.... do you already have a front mount?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, boon said:

The simple answer is my twisted setup which is cheaper than both the DPR and PBMS turbos.... do you already have a front mount?

Hahaha, love the sales pitchxD

But seriously, this would be a good set up, and easier to go bigger turbo easier, as I bet once you get used to the power you will want to go bigger, as always happens

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, boon said:

Nah i don't have a front mount ha ha plus yours may take a bit to get it put in etc? I am just thinking of getting an easy application that doesn't run out of puff after 6,000 rpms 

Is there even another VF turbo that will hold power in higher RPMs? 

• Admin

Off the top of my head you would need to change a hundred bucks or so worth of oil lines and there might be another couple of hundred bucks worth of misc stuff like relocating the coolant tank thing. But you would still be in the ballpark of just buying the other turbo.

You're gonna need a bigger intercooler which ever way you slice things; the HDI front mount one that @Batbaruman got is probably a good bet - there's 2 models so make sure you're getting the right one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, boon said:

Off the top of my head you would need to change a hundred bucks or so worth of oil lines and there might be another couple of hundred bucks worth of misc stuff like relocating the coolant tank thing. But you would still be in the ballpark of just buying the other turbo.

You're gonna need a bigger intercooler which ever way you slice things; the HDI front mount one that @Batbaruman got is probably a good bet - there's 2 models so make sure you're getting the right one.

Just tried to message you but it wont let me -_- flick me a message if you can. keen to know when yours spools by and what the turbo is. this isn't something i am going to get and chuck on straight away so don't mind piecing together a kit. 

Just read the FS thread and that answered all of my questions ha ha. food for thought :) 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 2:47 PM, Inked said:

got 240wkw from hybrid td05  on my v7 sti. it was the only bottleneck , everything else had capacity for more. also i should mention it wasn't a fun 240wkw, but what everyone considers fun is different and since mine was some custom one by MSE i can't say if all td05 are like that or if mine was just 'slower' than others. if i knew what i know now, i would have just tried to push a VF turbo to the limits on a low budget and enjoy the superior range in usable power vs turbo tht's all top end with narrow power band. current car isn't even turbo and feels faster than the old one in every situation except lacks the downshift throw back feels.

• Like 2

I'd keep the vf30. If you want more power I'd be spending your money on ethanol and just run a lower ethanol blend like e20. Keeps the DET down but won't rape your wallet as hard. Allows you to push the engine harder and retain safe limits. 

I'm pretty sure SAS have seen these go well past 210wkw, more like 230+ . But that would be on v7 sti engine and I'm not sure if 98 or ethanol for those figures. Maybe @gotasuby can chime in.

Personally wouldn't waste my time on a td05 18/20g ect. I've driven one and the lag is quite bad, only really has like 3000rpm of actual drivability (4000-7000). 

Boon hit the nail on the head with his EFR post. Spend a bit more get a much better product. Not bolt on though I guess. 

• Like 2

just fuel for thought - 

with the chinese td05/6-20g we get 240kw-250kw 

pulls really well and is a cheap enough to get

with the Chinese ones you find that they last maybe 1.5 - 2 years before they start a slow leak... (depending how hard you use it)

options at that point are to either get another new turbo

or

rebuild kits off ebay are cheap to do (depending how early you catch it)

not saying to get chinese units but just a very cost effective option in case you want to see if a bigger turbo is your thing before investing lots ...

Also - we have run 11.7@ meremere tracks in a wrx non sti v8 with a chinese turbo so they do have some grunt on them...

PS . the holset option will look nice in the engine bay thats for sure!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pappu1 said:

just fuel for thought - 

with the chinese td05/6-20g we get 240kw-250kw 

pulls really well and is a cheap enough to get

with the Chinese ones you find that they last maybe 1.5 - 2 years before they start a slow leak... (depending how hard you use it)

options at that point are to either get another new turbo

or

rebuild kits off ebay are cheap to do (depending how early you catch it)

not saying to get chinese units but just a very cost effective option in case you want to see if a bigger turbo is your thing before investing lots ...

Also - we have run 11.7@ meremere tracks in a wrx non sti v8 with a chinese turbo so they do have some grunt on them...

PS . the holset option will look nice in the engine bay thats for sure!!

When you are talking of Chinese turbos are you speaking of a particular brand? are they still quite laggy? 

The Holset would look nice haha! you are rite though i am nervous to buy a turbo like a holset that pumps out big power but has big lag and find i dont like driving it any more. 

1 hour ago, Inked said:

When you are talking of Chinese turbos are you speaking of a particular brand? are they still quite laggy? 

The Holset would look nice haha! you are rite though i am nervous to buy a turbo like a holset that pumps out big power but has big lag and find i dont like driving it any more. 

chinese i mean like from redline or luxury sports or the trademe ones..

no particular brand - i have tried and tuned a few of them

perhaps the redline one was kinda the best of them..

lag - yes was added lag for sure but the top end was wayy more solid then a vf30

its a cheap investment - try it and you can always decide from there to take a plunge for bigger or not.

as @boon said - use ur gears and u will be fine :)

drop a gear or 2 when you need to 

also with the correct tune the bigger turbo can be made to spool well and not be as bad

• Like 1

The VF spools fast, the TD05 is slightly slower to spool than a VF

compare both of these to a big boy turbo - they are both fast spooling and make ok power - VFx and TD05 are both in the same ball park when it comes to the final number on the dyno sheet imo

If I was using the car every day to drive to work etc - in hindsight id probably stick with a VF8 (for the rs - not your car)

Quick usable fun power without having to speed to remind yourself you have a turbo

But ill never go back to a VF or a TD now

My Garret is slow to spool (compared to a VF or TD) , but god damn its well worth the wait :P:P:P 

My Anti-Lag and Launch control is setup safe as so I can actually use them without worrying too much about engine damage 

I used to think pops and bangs were the best thing out, not anymore - im glad tune technic changed everything, car runs so crisp and tight feels like a modern car 

moral of the story - just go big or work with what youve got imo 

• Like 1

@THUNDA Cheers for your input and as mentioned above I have a 6 speed so may as well use it! I drive the car once a month on average so not to worried about how it performs on the street. I think I should just bite the bullet and save a bit extra for a nice setup even the Holset Boon has up for grabs

• Like 1