Inked

Possum Bourne Hybrid TD05 reviews?

Recommended Posts

What about a certain young chap that put one in his 17 STI without a proper tune and promptly farked the CHRA. With the only conclusion from his builder being that the BOV was too small and wasn’t venting enough to keep the compressor from stalling when lifting off. Pretty sure he was still on low boost since the tune wasn’t complete too. 

Hardly sounds like a reliable turbo for the cost of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

What about a certain young chap that put one in his 17 STI without a proper tune and promptly farked the CHRA. With the only conclusion from his builder being that the BOV was too small and wasn’t venting enough to keep the compressor from stalling when lifting off. Pretty sure he was still on low boost since the tune wasn’t complete too. 

Hardly sounds like a reliable turbo for the cost of them. 

is this for the tomei turbo? - i dont knwo of any such setup/issue - who was it that did this to a 17sti?

 

sounds like BS to me for the bov being too small for low boost but then again who knows.... more like perhaps oiling issue??

how small is a too small bov tho?

Edited by Pappu1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pappu1 said:

another option is the tomei turbo thats 100% bolt on as we did that to a GDB sti 

made 275kw on stock intercooler and that was being super safe 

 

Yeah I know a V7 sti with a Tomei turbo that is at 275ish kw on 98 and 305kw on e85 so the turbos are quite good by the seems the only thing I wonder is for the price of them you could spend a few hundred more and get something amazing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

is this for the tomei turbo? - i dont knwo of any such setup/issue - who was it that did this to a 17sti?

 

sounds like BS to me for the bov being too small for low boost but then again who knows.... more like perhaps oiling issue??

how small is a too small bov tho?

 

Yea.

Conducks that was on here. ej.god on Instagram.

 

The BOV part sounds like a bit of a yarn from the builder and something else was amiss.  

Was hitting 24psi actually and had some sort of tune but not yet chucked on the dyno. Being who he is, he probably had been told to take it easy until things were finalised but chose to thrash it instead. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Inked said:

 

Yeah I know a V7 sti with a Tomei turbo that is at 275ish kw on 98 and 305kw on e85 so the turbos are quite good by the seems the only thing I wonder is for the price of them you could spend a few hundred more and get something amazing 

we maybe referring to the same car ..or different lol..

either way yep - they are not cheap turbos..

i was surprised on how well it responded to boost but anyway for that $ ballpark you are right you can get higher .. 1.5XTR or even fp red and i think AMR turbos are around there...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

respectfully disagree with people that give out advice that you have 6 gears, use it, enjoy laggy turbo blah blah. sure i can imagine a bit of a wait being worth it if you're building up to 40psi / 500whp or something but when talking of relatively lower power with shortened power bands (band from 5000-7500rpm), not everyone is gonna find that fun to drive in any situation other than on track or the back streets. it is an amazing feeling when you have the space to push it and experience that sudden thrust, but you should really consider how much opportunity you have to enjoy that in your own regular driving conditions and whether sacrificing responsiveness to get a bit more top end power is really worth it.

 

in my personal tastes as a daily, the stock sti is such a sexy setup and any 'upgrade' should really be preserving the responsiveness/handling and building off that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Hi all, 
 
I have been wanting slightly more punch than my VF30 can pack on my V7 wrx sti. so have been looking at some bolt on options that are reasonably priced, I know how some of you feel around a stock location turbo however I think in my case I am not chasing massive power would just like a bit more punch than 210kw and something that holds power to the higher RPM range. 
 


If you do happen to swap out your vf30, i have a legacy that would be very happy to have it

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2018 at 11:47 AM, Batbaruman said:

respectfully disagree with people that give out advice that you have 6 gears, use it, enjoy laggy turbo blah blah. sure i can imagine a bit of a wait being worth it if you're building up to 40psi / 500whp or something but when talking of relatively lower power with shortened power bands (band from 5000-7500rpm), not everyone is gonna find that fun to drive in any situation other than on track or the back streets. it is an amazing feeling when you have the space to push it and experience that sudden thrust, but you should really consider how much opportunity you have to enjoy that in your own regular driving conditions and whether sacrificing responsiveness to get a bit more top end power is really worth it.

 

in my personal tastes as a daily, the stock sti is such a sexy setup and any 'upgrade' should really be preserving the responsiveness/handling and building off that.

 

Respectfully disagree, anyone who is busy putting adjustable coilovers and aftermarket engine mounts and roof scoops and deleting their air con.... isn't trying to build a smooth and sensible daily. If you want that, buy a H6 Legacy. Or a BMW.

A stock STI is a S*** platform for a nice comfortable cruiser. The best driving experience from an STI they ever built is an early RA and that's because they're raw and noisy and a bit feral and they have the slowest spooling setup of any STI. A GD STI only has a meaningful powerband of about 3000rpm before the stock turbo goes off a cliff anyway, probably less than that in terms of the torque curve. Doesn't matter if you're in an STI or a 1.5L carbed Civic, if you're giving your car beans anywhere that isn't the track or back roads you're probably a bit of a tool anyway, so that's a moot point as well. I couldn't give any F***s how my STI drives in stop-go traffic, because if that happens then I've had some sort of S*** day that doesn't involve the size of my turbo.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, boon said:

 

anyone who is busy putting adjustable coilovers and aftermarket engine mounts and roof scoops and deleting their air con.... isn't trying to build a smooth and sensible daily.

since it's all personal tastes, it's not really best to assume what someone likes or dislikes, or that their goal with their vehicle and thousands of $$ spent would be same as someone elses. that's why i added on the downsides which previously weren't mentioned so OP can weigh things up and decide for themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Gets popcorn* :P

 

 

In this case Inked is only looking for 260kw ish. A turbo that spools decently quick and holds to redline would feel pretty nice for street driving.

Im sure a 300kw sti that spools late would be a very nice experience but once you hit boost in 3rd you would almost be breaking the speed limit on the road anyways.

Im not experienced here so I cant claim to know...Do get more KW's tho :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Subru said:

*Gets popcorn* :P

 

 

In this case Inked is only looking for 260kw ish. A turbo that spools decently quick and holds to redline would feel pretty nice for street driving.

Im sure a 300kw sti that spools late would be a very nice experience but once you hit boost in 3rd you would almost be breaking the speed limit on the road anyways.

Im not experienced here so I cant claim to know...Do get more KW's tho :)

 

You're dead right for a road car, 260kw is stupidly quick for most situations

Edited by YoungOne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 255kw and kinda got used to it. Albeit in the heavier GVB chassis. 

 

Maybe think about water / meth? Got 20 extra kw on my setup with it. And probably cheaper than a full turbo setup :)

 

Re the spool thing. Yeah its all personal preference, but there is some truth to what Boon is saying. Its all about building for where your powerband is going to be. I knowingly sacrificed maybe 1000rpm of spool on my build for a bigger turbo, but at the same time put in bigger cams and valve springs and gained 1000rpm of power band up high by being able to rev to 8k instead of 6.5k-7k. Assuming my stock turbo didn't run out of chuff by 6500rpm (which it definitely did before that point), I've simply moved my full powerband up a little and got a whole lot more usable power. 

 

I thought long and hard about getting the smaller quicker spooling EFR7163. But end of the day, i'm only really sacrificing maybe 1000rpm of spool in 1st gear. After that its basically going to be an animal between changes (on paper anyway xD).

 

All in all its hard to gauge anything like this until you actually drive and feel the response or lack of. My old setup was incredibly responsive and torquey down low. Will report back when this thing is going as a good comparison 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was after a fast spooling setup I'd go for a factory sti twinscroll exhaust and turbo and spray water meth pre turbo (which in theory chemically alters the compressor map to act like a larger turbo).

 

Second option would be bl/bp twinscroll with a bolt on aftermarket turbo. Bl/bp twinscroll headers and sump can be had for $300 now days and the bolt on turbos arent much more than the td05 option which you are talking about. (Which I'm skeptical would make the power suggested)

Edited by pl0x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a reasonably big turbo for a 2.0 and no lag. As long as I am in the correct gear for my power band :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

since it's all personal tastes, it's not really best to assume what someone likes or dislikes, or that their goal with their vehicle and thousands of $$ spent would be same as someone elses. that's why i added on the downsides which previously weren't mentioned so OP can weigh things up and decide for themselves.

 

I guess so. It just makes me scratch my head when I see these schizophrenic cars being built. As an example I love car audio to bits, I used to be crazy into it, SPL setups, sound quality setups, you name it, I've probably done it. What does my STI have in it? A bluetooth headunit and the stock speakers. The car is just too loud, both from the engine/exhaust and road noise, for there to be any point in me putting a decent stereo in it. It would be wasted money. I could put a quieter exhaust on it and sound deaden it and put on some tyres with softer sidewalls but the point of the STI is, well, none of those things. You can compromise on things and make the car a mediocre jack of all trades but all you will end up with is a car that's a bit S*** at everything, unless you have insane amounts of money to throw at it. The extreme version of this would be lifting a Ferrari for better off-road performance. As you've said each to their own but some stuff just doesn't make sense to me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see where you both are coming from with how the car performs in street driving vs moving the power band. 

 

I probably should have been more specific with what I use the car for to help out with this, the car gets driven on the street maybe once monthly if its lucky, i have done 5,000kms in the last 2 years which is inclusive of the dyno time and 2 track days so its not really used a lot in traffic. After i get out of my daily it feels like a noisy bumpy pig on the street any way :D 

 

I loooove good spool! but I am really chasing a turbo that will get me to the higher RPMS also. 

 

I think best bet from all the feedback will be to start piecing together a kit rather than just sinking money into a add on that will give me a few extra killawasps haha. 

 

I am super interested in the BL/BP twinscroll headers mentioned I had no idea this could be done, is it a bolt on application or is there other bits needed @pl0x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the 260kw is a very easy goal to get to with just a few right components

are you wanting to use 98 o e85 that could be the deciding factor...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

the 260kw is a very easy goal to get to with just a few right components

are you wanting to use 98 o e85 that could be the deciding factor...

I would like to stick with BP 98 at the moment due to the availability of it. I will drive my car on the odd occasion to work if my daily needs maintenance etc so not having to top it up with a gas can would be ideal ha ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legacy headers require changing the sump, baffle plate (I think?), pickup and dipstick. Not a difficult job, just a nasty messy one.

 

Legacy headers (or the much rarer STI ones) + a twisted adaptor + a twinscroll BorgWarner EFR7163 with internal wastegating is probably the simplest way forward that delivers most of what you want. If I were to do it all again with my car from square one it's what I would be doing. Not cheap though!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Inked said:

I would like to stick with BP 98 at the moment due to the availability of it. I will drive my car on the odd occasion to work if my daily needs maintenance etc so not having to top it up with a gas can would be ideal ha ha. 

and the goal is 275kw ya?

do you want bolt on options?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, boon said:

Legacy headers require changing the sump, baffle plate (I think?), pickup and dipstick. Not a difficult job, just a nasty messy one.

 

Legacy headers (or the much rarer STI ones) + a twisted adaptor + a twinscroll BorgWarner EFR7163 with internal wastegating is probably the simplest way forward that delivers most of what you want. If I were to do it all again with my car from square one it's what I would be doing. Not cheap though!

Yeah so will have to locate all the parts such a difficult decision as to which way to go. i am in no rush just going to order bit by bit as we go. will your car be at flat nats? 

 

4 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

and the goal is 275kw ya?

do you want bolt on options?

 

Yeah i would love 250 - 280kw i have 208kw at the moment so more would be great! I am just about to have my sump baffled before flat nats and order my HDI front mount kit then will look to do the turbo at start of 2019 and will most likely decap my injectors. 

 

Bolt on would be ideal to save cost that I can put into handling modifications but if twisted is the best way to go and I am throwing my money in the rubbish with stock location maybe I should hold off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inked said:

Yeah so will have to locate all the parts such a difficult decision as to which way to go. i am in no rush just going to order bit by bit as we go. will your car be at flat nats? 

 

Yeah i would love 250 - 280kw i have 208kw at the moment so more would be great! I am just about to have my sump baffled before flat nats and order my HDI front mount kit then will look to do the turbo at start of 2019 and will most likely decap my injectors. 

 

Bolt on would be ideal to save cost that I can put into handling modifications but if twisted is the best way to go and I am throwing my money in the rubbish with stock location maybe I should hold off. 

this is exactly what i did for a v7sti:

1) tomei turbo from redline

2) bolt on installation setup 

3) id1000 or similar or decap injectors (cheap option)

4) nice fuel pump (dw200 at the least)

5) tuned it for 275kw on top mount 

 

easy answer thats proven to have run well

 

i would suggest u get a nice oil catch can setup as well while at it

 

this is just one tried and tested option .. im sure there are lots others and with varying cost..

 

if you replace the above turbo with a td05/20g from redline then expect about 240kw as have done that combo as well....

 

all this was on 98 pump gas 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, boon said:

Legacy headers require changing the sump, baffle plate (I think?), pickup and dipstick. Not a difficult job, just a nasty messy one.

 

Legacy headers (or the much rarer STI ones) + a twisted adaptor + a twinscroll BorgWarner EFR7163 with internal wastegating is probably the simplest way forward that delivers most of what you want. If I were to do it all again with my car from square one it's what I would be doing. Not cheap though!

 This is exactly what i am doing, i thought if im going to a bigger turbo im going to do it right with minimal lag, although if i didnt get the turbo for roughly half price i think i would of gone mamba gtx ball bearing bolt on turbo, a lot easier and cheaper and would do the trick for most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

this is exactly what i did for a v7sti:

1) tomei turbo from redline

2) bolt on installation setup 

3) id1000 or similar or decap injectors (cheap option)

4) nice fuel pump (dw200 at the least)

5) tuned it for 275kw on top mount 

 

easy answer thats proven to have run well

 

i would suggest u get a nice oil catch can setup as well while at it

 

this is just one tried and tested option .. im sure there are lots others and with varying cost..

 

if you replace the above turbo with a td05/20g from redline then expect about 240kw as have done that combo as well....

 

all this was on 98 pump gas 

 

 

Thanks @Pappu1 for the information its great to have someone that has done it give feedback. I have a mate that has the Tomei turbo but the M8265 rather than the one redline stock and he got 270ish on pump and over 300kw on E85 so I think this could be a great option for what I am after his curve looked great also. 

 

So many decisions ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boon said:

Legacy headers require changing the sump, baffle plate (I think?), pickup and dipstick. Not a difficult job, just a nasty messy one.

 

Legacy headers (or the much rarer STI ones) + a twisted adaptor + a twinscroll BorgWarner EFR7163 with internal wastegating is probably the simplest way forward that delivers most of what you want. If I were to do it all again with my car from square one it's what I would be doing. Not cheap though!

I didn't know there was any difference in the dipstick, obviously the levels read differently? do you know if the SS dipstick reads high or low in a TS sump?

 

I changed to the TS sump, baffle/windage plate, bl/bp headers, pick up and added a SAS baffle plate. Hardest part is removing the rear sump bolts and putting in the up pipe, both of which need the engine to be jacked up slightly.

 

If I didn't have my Garrett and external waste gate already, I also would have gone with a borgwarner set up as boon described.

55 minutes ago, Inked said:

Yeah so will have to locate all the parts such a difficult decision as to which way to go. i am in no rush just going to order bit by bit as we go. will your car be at flat nats? 

 

Yeah i would love 250 - 280kw i have 208kw at the moment so more would be great! I am just about to have my sump baffled before flat nats and order my HDI front mount kit then will look to do the turbo at start of 2019 and will most likely decap my injectors. 

I'd enquire about a SAS baffle plate instead, looking at it I assume it would work with both a single scroll and twin scroll sump.

Edited by pl0x
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.