romeyromes

Learned Values Help!

Hey everyone

I need help reading/understanding my learned values. 

I am using an OBDlink LX with BTSSM.

I have no clue what I am looking at and I have a hunch that my car is not feeling too good lol.

Thanks in advance guys :)

43407285505_7bd971f440_m.jpg

What fuel are you using and what mods?

The top line tells you the most in this case. IAM should be 1. Anything less means there’s been enough decent knocking to justify a global ignition retardation. Jap imports will sometimes sit at around 0.9 or slightly less if driven hard purely because NZ 98 is still worse than the jap 100 they’re originally tuned for. 

In the fuel correction section the last row (40.00) is the only one of concern. The 2.3 means the fuelling is off by that much in the last zone the ECU can adjust for based on the o2 sensor reading. After that it bases it solely on the tune. This means at full throttle your fuelling is off by 2.3%

In general, a positive at higher g/s ranges means more fuel is being added as there is more air in the engine than has been calculated for. So there is more than likely a leak before the turbo, but after the airflow meter.

The turbo inlets like to split so that would be a good place to start looking at a guess.  

The timing correction section (does the same as IAM but tweaks things in certain rpms/loads rather than over everything) isn't too bad currently. Imagine as soon as the IAM number raises more will show up in that area. 

All in all you should definitely be getting it looked at.

• Like 3

Thank you! That makes total sense actually.

I've had a subtech downpipe installed and I use 98 from mobil.

The intake piping before the turbo seems warped and I noticed some oil there too. I'll completely remove it this weekend and observe it better.

Edited by romeyromes
  • Like 1

Have you reset the ECU? 

It takes a shitload of time for the ECU to slowly raise the IAM by itself and it would do it incrementally not just straight back up to one. 

• Like 2

Encouraging it to knock isn't the best way about it but it may be worth resetting it again with BTSSM and then driving around for a few days as you normally do to see where it settles back to on its own

• Like 1

Cool will do.

So with the latest LV I posted, would it be fair to say that my car is relatively happy?

Or should I still see someone?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

Does it still feel like it's not driving well?

The fact it got that low in the first place means something was, or still is quite wrong. A reduction that significant doesn't just happen for no reason then dissapear

Thanks mate,

Yeah I am. I have this very intermittent stumbling issue that I cannot pin point hence me going with BTSSM.

I'm getting crazy lean fluctuations on my afr too.

Would a weak fuel pump be the culprit? Or perhaps my warped turbo inlet?

How many km’s on the car?

Both do fail, turbo inlet is a lot easier to diagnose and rule out really. Get a mechanic to do a smoke test if you’re not confident digging around looking for potential leaks yourself

I'm 80% confident it is the turbo inlet (but I've been wrong about my car plenty of times lol) because of the oil residue seeping. Oil blow by escaping?

It has done 130,000

Oil being in the inlet is a given unless you have a catchcan. Should be residue, not really a pourable amount. 

Sounds about the right KM’s for it to be a possible failure point.

Okay, so my IAM numbers dropped again after a drive last night and has remained the same this morning.

I'm new to this logging stuff but I'm going to have a go at it today.

Below are the new values. Is it fair to say that the high-ish figures in yellow indicate I am running lean?

44303062102_56e51ee1c9_z.jpg

If it's removing fuel (which to me a negative % correction looks like it is), that means it's reading rich. An inlet leak after the maf would create a rich environment.

I know nothing about the software you are using, so could be reading it wrong

Excuse my ignorance, all of this is new to me.

May I ask how it would read rich if there is a leak after the maf? That would mean more unmetered air going in which should read lean?

Sorry, i'm thinking in a pressurized pipe (post turbo).

You are right, a leak post maf - pre turbo should cause it to run leaner (which to me those values don't suggest, but I could be reading it wrong)