Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aux on 07 Legacy

WellsNZ

Hi team, 

New Subaru owner here, always wanted a Legacy and now happily own my first :D

However, my issue is the head unit says it has AUX but no AUX input can be found. 

I'm far from technical minded, but I don't think I'm missing anything obvious here (would be good if I am haha). What are my options here to be playing audio from my phone? I imagine replacing the head unit would suck as it's all integrated? If this is going to be a need to wire a bunch of things situation any recommendations on where it can be done as I'm utterly clueless with this stuff and don't trust myself to not screw it up haha. 

I tried an FM transmitter on a previous car years ago and it sucked. Are they any better or still horrible? I'm guessing being in Auckland made it worse. 

Cheers, loving my Subaru aside from that :)

Welcome,

What model are we talking here? Legacy BP?

You can buy an adapter which plugs into the back of the unit which enables the auxiliary ability. Similar to, if not exactly the one in the link below...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/accessories/listing-1745448051.htm?rsqid=623fb94debb042118776059ee3651666

Good luck!

50 minutes ago, JGM said:

Welcome,

What model are we talking here? Legacy BP?

You can buy an adapter which plugs into the back of the unit which enables the auxiliary ability. Similar to, if not exactly the one in the link below...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/accessories/listing-1745448051.htm?rsqid=623fb94debb042118776059ee3651666

Good luck!

Cheers for that mate. 

The model is b4 spec b the stereo is GX-204JH. 

Is getting behind the head unit pretty straightforward? Complete noob as mentioned haha. 

1 hour ago, WellsNZ said:

Hi team, 

New Subaru owner here, always wanted a Legacy and now happily own my first :D

However, my issue is the head unit says it has AUX but no AUX input can be found. 

I'm far from technical minded, but I don't think I'm missing anything obvious here (would be good if I am haha). What are my options here to be playing audio from my phone? I imagine replacing the head unit would suck as it's all integrated? If this is going to be a need to wire a bunch of things situation any recommendations on where it can be done as I'm utterly clueless with this stuff and don't trust myself to not screw it up haha. 

I tried an FM transmitter on a previous car years ago and it sucked. Are they any better or still horrible? I'm guessing being in Auckland made it worse. 

Cheers, loving my Subaru aside from that :)

Hey,

replacing the unit would cost about $200-$600 just to get the housing for an aftermarket stereo. On top of that, an aftermarket stereo would be $100-$400 depending on the features (single din/double-din). A good alternative would be to just purchase a bluetooth adapter, can find them on trademe or jonvy etc. Keep in mind, if your unit is McIntosh, you'd need a specific one for a McIntosh. My brother's McIntosh needed a specific bluetooth unit which cost about $130. 

Hope that helps. :) 

here's a video for the removal of the stereo. Follow it and you won't have a problem. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, romeyromes said:

Hey man,

Had the same problem with you.

No aux port easily accessible with mine, if any at all but I decided to go with a Grom Bluetooth adapter with mine.

Awesome purchase but a little on the pricey side.

:)

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

Cheers for that bro, will definitely want BT eventually but need a cheap option to move on from Mai FM quickly for now haha. 

2 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Hey,

replacing the unit would cost about $200-$600 just to get the housing for an aftermarket stereo. On top of that, an aftermarket stereo would be $100-$400 depending on the features (single din/double-din). A good alternative would be to just purchase a bluetooth adapter, can find them on trademe or jonvy etc. Keep in mind, if your unit is McIntosh, you'd need a specific one for a McIntosh. My brother's McIntosh needed a specific bluetooth unit which cost about $130. 

Hope that helps. :) 

It does thank you :)

• Like 1

Operation practice run removing the head unit a great success, except for one screw that has disappeared into the void, now just need to figure out how to run the aux cord out to somewhere accessible. 

Added bonus, in the process found the toll box card thing (I think that's what it is?) that keeps talking to me in Japanese and promptly disconnected the cord on her. 

• Like 1

Is getting behind the head unit pretty straightforward?

Yes, pull off trim in front of gear stick, followed by side panels. This will reveal 3? screws either side of the unit which when out will allow the whole unit to be removed. As per the video @Sphinx posted...

1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

replacing the unit

I wouldn't bother replacing, his Kenwood unit has the auxiliary button and therefore should have the auxiliary input in the back. Confirm the input is there and then buy the auxiliary input adapter that I posted from Trade Me, just like that Bob's your Uncle.

2 minutes ago, WellsNZ said:

Operation practice run removing the head unit a great success, except for one screw that has disappeared into the void, now just need to figure out how to run the aux cord out to somewhere accessible.

Confirm the auxiliary input is there while you have the unit out and before buying the adapter...

• Like 1

It has the input on the bottom right (if facing the back of the stereo) though it does have something plugged into it already, I'm guessing that's normal? Is it the steering audio control?

Does that adapter get placed into the middle of the equation e.g I place the current connection into the adapter, the other end of the adapter into the head unit and then the 3.5 splits out? 

Appreciate the help everyone. Got a long drive tomorrow, if I can get music that would be the dream. 

Edited by WellsNZ

Does that adapter get placed into the middle of the equation e.g I place the current connection into the adapter, the other end of the adapter into the head unit and then the 3.5 splits out? 

Sorry dude, that's as far as my knowledge level goes - never had one of these factory auxiliaries, always had a Parrot bluetooth system...

• Like 1

No worries, thanks again. I think that's correct, once I sort it out I'll post to confirm for future reference. Currently trying to find out how to take off the arm rest/drink holder type area to potentially run the cable through to there. I get too hesitant about snapping stuff though haha. 

• Like 1

I did this like 2 years ago and it worked mint - I even made a 'how to' on this forum but photobucket F***ed us all and now the pics are gone so it's not a lot of help anymore.... 

2 hours ago, WellsNZ said:

It does exactly that - when you plug the adapter in and before you re-install the unit just flick the key on and test it quickly 

You don't need to do anything else - just plug it in and the AUX button on your stereo will automatically work 

7 minutes ago, WellsNZ said:

Currently trying to find out how to take off the arm rest/drink holder type area to potentially run the cable through to there. I get too hesitant about snapping stuff though haha. 

I have the aux port in the centre box just next to the cigarette lighter - it's actually really easy to pull apart (a screw on each side hidden by the front seats and one on the rear of it facing the rear seats iirc) - don't be scared... the plastic is quite strong

• Like 1

Choice that's just what I needed to find. That lifts the back up and seems the front just clipped maybe. Should be enough to get under it anyway. Just need to borrow a drill to do the hole. 

Most "work on a car" I've ever done lol

4 minutes ago, WellsNZ said:

Choice that's just what I needed to find. That lifts the back up and seems the front just clipped maybe. Should be enough to get under it anyway. Just need to borrow a drill to do the hole. 

Most "work on a car" I've ever done lol

Yep - the front part is clipped on to the gear surround (as I said - don't be too scared to give it a lil bit of force)

I found it easier to drill by going from underneath rather than through the top 

If your in AKL I am happy to lend you a drill 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WellsNZ said:

I am in Ellerslie. Shooting up north tomorrow to see some family so I think I should be able to sort one there and at least have sounds on the way home, but if not I make take you up on that next week. 

I'm just off Rockfield road (close AF to ellerslie) 

• Like 1