Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GRB STi rear end swap into BL5?

Hayks

Hi all been toying with some out-of-it ideas in my head for the long term plan of my legacy. Im planning on trying to make a bit of an STi cross legacy haha. Plans are eventually to score a full GRB engine (hopefully with a run bearing so i can use a brand new V7 short block) and slap it in the LGT. I want to retain the factory dual AVCS but have the option of more head parts available (cams ect ect). Also the intake manifold since it uses the drive by wire throttle already and flip the intake. Also would naturally convert to 6 speed (fuuu 5 speeds!). But heres were it will get a little more interesting, i would like to convert the 6 speed to full time RWD using a watanabe services spool from RHD japan. This is all simple enough BUT as im sure most are aware, even though the factory 6mt rear end for the LGT uses the bigger R180 rear diff, your still left stuck with the very average r160 hubs and outer CV’s. My question is, since the GRB has a multilink rear suspension set up, like the LGT. Can the GRB rear subframe (or even rear hubs only) be swapped in to have the beefier axles ect? I feel this is a pretty out there question and may not happen for a couple years (new house life), but id be really keen to give this a go! Ive always wanted to try drifting haha but hate nissan and toyota tax. 

Any sugestions/info would be wicked! 

• Admin

They are the same style suspension arrangement but I have NFI how much would swap over. You could maybe look into what's involved in swapping the hubs; for example you can put V9/10 hubs into the V7-8 rear carriers no problem, and then presumably the axles would swap over too? It gets complicated around things like ABS though; the BL/BP's have the ABS signal ring integrated into the hub, unsure what setup the GRB uses, or if the signal would make sense to the BL's ABS computer if you swapped out the whole assembly.

EDIT: Actually I just went and looked at the 2 part diagrams and the conclusion is hell no, it won't work, sorry :(

Hmm i wonder how i can get around this then? I cant delete abs since thats how the ecu see’s speed input, i wonder if the ecu can be coded to only use the front hubs as speed sensors and have only front abs? Another option is a custom r200 skyline/silvia conversion in the rear but thats custob drive shaft and axles (depending if i used the original arms). There must be some way surely that i can have some stronger rear axles! Id say even if i went to custom rear axles to suit the rear r160 hubs the thickness of the outer cv spline itself would limit its strength. Coming from a background of hondas, anything b series and NON 98 spec all cvs (outers) are a 32mm hub nut classed as small spline and then the 98 spec ones were 36mm. Even after market 32mm ones have been broken but never seemed to brake the 36mm. So guessing having ALOT more torque in the baru they wouldnt last long!