Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The best way to remove intake manifold for painting

swamp

Hey guys and girls 

Have pored over the forum and the web for info on the best way to remove my intake manifold for cleaning/painting. 

At first sight it is a mish with all the hoses and parts connected to it and also blocking access to bolts etc. 

But no doubt it is doable. I would like to know how you did it, as well as any general precautions I should take? 

Engine in question is an early EJ20G, one with no coil pack thingy on top. 

In order I would probably go with:

Air intake

Breather hoses on top

Throttle body

Throttle cable 

Coolant lines to reservoir 

That's all I can think of now. I've never done this on a flat four or on any other type of engine lol. 

Undo the 8 bolts holding the manifold onto the heads. 

Remove the hose at the bottom of the expansion tank... it will leak coolant everywhere... so have a bung ready.

Undo the two bolts from the top of the expansion tank, and the one bolt underneath it... and pull aside.

Undo the intake pipe from the turbo... and what ever is attached to the other side of the intake pipe.

Unplug the two large loom plugs in front of the windscreen washer body. 

Unplug any sensors wired into the manifold loom, but not attached to the manifold.

Unplug spark leads and move them out of the way.

Undo fuel hoses and breather pipe at the fuel filter side of the engine bay and the breather from behind the right hand headlight.

Remove the intercooler obviously and the throttle cable.

There might be some cable ties under the manifold that need to be undone or cut?

Don't let anything at all fall into the intake ports.

That's all I can think of. 

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

Cheers Loren that was a big help. 

I've got mine off, fuel lines and injectors can come off with the manifold but it'll need to be removed from manifold once off the car. Much easier that way. 

The main challenge was getting stuff out of the way for the Mani to come right off. If you have a hose or line in the way it'll stop it, along with any electrical connections/cable ties. 

I found my loom connectors were behind my battery. This may be of help to anyone doing their car and it happens to be an early ej20g. 

Fuel hoses from filter I marked top as R mid as Y bottom as G easy like a traffic light, got that idea from a YouTube video. 

It was pretty hard to do overall with the amount of hoses. Try and stay organized with bolts and hoses and parts etc. I've kept a few parts in a similar position so I don't muck up their orientation when it comes to putting back on. 

If I have time I'll check out how to inspect fuel injectors. Unfortunately I don't have the money to get new gaskets but that can be done later.