Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wrapping Headers

Hi there,

I am going to be wrapping my NZKW unequal length Headers soon and was interested to know what the best way to wrap them is?

i have seen some people wrap each runner separately and others wrap two runners together. does anyone have experience as to what is best? 

cheers.

• Admin

What @Loren said. I've tried a bunch of different wraps and all of them turn to S*** inside a couple of years. If you absolutely must wrap then the lava rock stuff, also sold by Pro Wholesale (I think?) is probably my pick of the bunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Don't do it. Make some proper shields with this: https://www.pro-wholesale.co.nz/heat-shielding-exhaust-shielding/

Ok i had looked into that a bit but just not sure what way to go about the sheild and what to mount it off. 

Have you had any experience or got any tips?

I was wondering about mount from the cam covers some how but the main areas i am wanting to sheild is radiator, cam covers and also inbetween sump and headers as they run very close.

Would you still wrap up pipe? Or just use this stuff for that as well?

I have used it everywhere... headers, up pipe, turbo and down pipe.

It's quite flexible and you just cut out sections and wrap them around the pipes and hold them in place with steel cable ties.

Get yourself a proper cable tie tool so you can get them nice and tight.

Make templates for the sections out of card board... cut out the shapes in the heat shield material... over sized slightly as

you have to fold the edges over. It's quite a lot of work... but it will last forever (or a very long time anyway)... is way more

effective than wrap as a heat insulator, and no more fibre glass on your hands, up your arms, in your face etc etc.

The turbo shield just sits over the top and is bolted to the bell housing with a couple of bolts... i.e. one of the bell housing

bolts and one other random bolt on the head.

Also, I didn't do everything in one go as it is a bit of work and quite expensive. Allow a solid day or two for the headers...

everything else is much easier.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

Repco head office had the big sheets like 600x600 on clearance for $79.

i was going to use mine for headers but went ceramic coating instead.

as for wrap I've only found it average at best and you have to get the paint spray sealer if you want it to last or it just soaks up water and rust everything. It is fun driving around for about 30 mins with clouds of smoke billowing out from the hood while it bakes on.

• Like 1

Will also point out if you have an oil leak at the front of the engine with wrapped headers they will (can) get leaked on, soak it all up and dramatically increase the risk of an oil fire. Don't ask me how I figured this out, I've actually been meaning to take mine off headers as its more of a risk than benefit.  

Have read that if you have AVCS then some shielding around the front of the heads is a good idea.

• Like 3

• Admin

This is the exact reason why I've left my factory heat shielding on my twinscroll STi headers. It does more than well enough and if it has to come off to fix the flexi's in the headers I will try take em off in a way that I can weld them back on. 

Another thing to mention is also ceramic coating. Heard good things about it. @Username says he's used it on his stuff (turbo, manifold and up-pipe) and swore by it last time I saw him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

This is the exact reason why I've left my factory heat shielding on my twinscroll STi headers. It does more than well enough and if it has to come off to fix the flexi's in the headers I will try take em off in a way that I can weld them back on. 

Another thing to mention is also ceramic coating. Heard good things about it. @Username says he's used it on his stuff (turbo, manifold and up-pipe) and swore by it last time I saw him. 

Absolutely no reason to take factory heat shields off. 

Also heard that ceramic coating is good... what put me off was the cost and having to get the whole lot done again if it gets chipped.

@YoungOne that sucks. Its what got me but intercooler split and dripped on the Downpipe wrapping.

@Loren I have the thick black coating and the factory heat shield on top so even without the undertray is should survive. 

I have before and after dyno runs and it took about 10 degrees out and afr was out by one down to 11.5:1 from just the coatings.

it had wrap before that so it's well worth it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Loren said:

I have used it everywhere... headers, up pipe, turbo and down pipe.

It's quite flexible and you just cut out sections and wrap them around the pipes and hold them in place with steel cable ties.

Get yourself a proper cable tie tool so you can get them nice and tight.

Make templates for the sections out of card board... cut out the shapes in the heat shield material... over sized slightly as

you have to fold the edges over. It's quite a lot of work... but it will last forever (or a very long time anyway)... is way more

effective than wrap as a heat insulator, and no more fibre glass on your hands, up your arms, in your face etc etc.

The turbo shield just sits over the top and is bolted to the bell housing with a couple of bolts... i.e. one of the bell housing

bolts and one other random bolt on the head.

Also, I didn't do everything in one go as it is a bit of work and quite expensive. Allow a solid day or two for the headers...

everything else is much easier.

Would you care to share some photos?

4 hours ago, Dairusire said:

If you ran with ceramic coating would this suffice by itself? Or would you still heatsheild as well

Very  interested in these options as i want to do it once and do it properly.

Yip it's still hot enough that holding it would burn you, but you can touch it.

i drove to Pbms and put my hand on it in front of Julius he thought I was nuts.

Its a dual a layer coating and took 3 weeks to get done so if you want it you do have no car for a while.

the cost was about $800 for headers, turbo and Downpipe so that is the downsides.

before that I'd only seen the silver pretty version that does almost nothing. 

Turbo spoilers fast and the extra 8wkw didn't hurt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gripless said:

Its a dual a layer coating and took 3 weeks to get done so if you want it you do have no car for a while.

the cost was about $800 for headers, turbo and Downpipe so that is the downsides.

That's not a bad price for all that... I was looking at buying some headers from RCM and the option adding a coating doubled the price of the headers... which put me off.

Where were yours done?

7 hours ago, Gripless said:

@Loren Through HPC.

for some reason my up pipe wasn't done so I'll get that done next time the turbo comes off.

I have priced them for headers only before but i decided it was quite expensive but you have persuaded me back into this idea. 

I also have a 3 inch hks stainless down pipe, would you recommend doing this the same?

Also when you say you had the turbo done, was it just the exhaust housing? Or the whole lot? I have a 3yr old vf22 in mint condition but i could be tempted to coat this as well if it would help improve things.

@ginganinja I have Downpipe done and I'd do it again as it reduces the under hood temp near the intercooler.

just the exhaust housing on the turbo. Almost got the front cover done but that would have only been the shiny type coating.

i have no idea why but I want to push the stock turbo to its limit and PS automotive said they had seen good gains.

I didn't think it'd be as good as it is. But avoid race season start as everyone gets it done and the delays get bad like mine was.