• Current Donation Goals

08 sti harry

Best at home diagnostic tool

11 posts in this topic

I have a 08 sti. I'm not looking to tune or anything just want to know what's a good diagnostic tool and where to buy. Just want to be able to read and clear fault codes and that sort of thing 

A Tactrix cable connected to a laptop with is a decent idea. Not as cheap as some options but can do a lot more if ever troubleshooting faults.

Or BTSSM if you have an Android device. Normal 08 JDM STI’s are supported but you might want to double check that yours is compatible

https://www.btssm.com/?page=app

Any cheap Bluetooth one should work with android to read codes and live data.

iPhones need the wifi ones they are still cheap compared to the tactrix

tactrix can program the ecu as well.

i got mine from jaycar at a high price just as I couldn't find my USB one and it was Sunday with check light on.

1 person likes this

I think Subaru's are picky about what adapters are used. I tried a cheap BT one and it didn't work. Someone else can confirm.

If you're ok with spending about $300 on a scan tool, you can get a small Launch one from AliExpress.

I would highly recommend Launch, as that's what the shop I was working at used 99% of the time for scanning cars.

If you want live data etc, I'm guessing you'll need to spend more (or less).

But if you just want to read codes, and clear them, and want a good tool for that, Launch.

If you're wanting to scan Euro stuff with a Launch tool though, good luck. My experience was like 50% success.

Well the jaycar one works fine on 08 sti and android which is $69. the Ali express version is cheaper.

The software has to work with the car and adaptor as well its a three part combo deal.

for $300 you'd better get the tactrix one.

those costly Chinese ones are mostly the low tech skill all in one versions for workshops where learning and playing around is a waste of time and money. 

the older pre 98 cars are not obd2 from memory so need different adapters for obd1. 

F*** I just realized I now have an iPhone and have to do all this S*** again...

@08 sti harry where are you based?

Ok 3 different wifi obd2 adaptors on the way for NZD $64 yay China and 40% off sales B|

stupid Apple not supporting Bluetooth correctly :CEL:

Edited by Gripless
1 person likes this

G-Scan 2 is what I use, not what I would call cheap ( NZD12,000) but will connect to anything and give you the options to that the bluetooth ones don't :) 

3 hours ago, Gripless said:

Well the jaycar one works fine on 08 sti and android which is $69. the Ali express version is cheaper.

The software has to work with the car and adaptor as well its a three part combo deal.

for $300 you'd better get the tactrix one.

those costly Chinese ones are mostly the low tech skill all in one versions for workshops where learning and playing around is a waste of time and money. 

the older pre 98 cars are not obd2 from memory so need different adapters for obd1. 

F*** I just realized I now have an iPhone and have to do all this S*** again...

@08 sti harry where are you based?

I'm based in chch I'm gonna start with a cheap ali express one If that doesnt work the btssm seems to have pretty good reviews 

1 person likes this