Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP5 Auto. Keep It or Sell It?

csrgm1915

Morning all.

i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some general engine health/maintence. My cars serviced within its recommended K’s etc but I was wondering if there is anything I can do/buy to clean inside my engine in terms of any carbon deposits etc.

Ive seen that some places sell fluids that you can put straight into your system. Does anyone know of what would be best and if they do/don’t work? 

I recently put some injector cleaner in with my fuel which seemed to help/had a noticeable change but I’m wanting to know what more I can do? 

I’ve changed out my spark plugs and Ill be getting a compression test shortly too. 

The reason I ask is because I’m torn between keeping the car I have and making sure I can maintain it as best as possible but I also want more power at times and so I’m debating selling it and buying a APR stage 1 Golf R or the same car but the 6SP manual (currently own an auto) The BP5 is a little more practical though living in Wanaka. 

When I got my car tuned there was a bit of knock and so it limited the tune. 

I currently have a GS 3 port boost solenoid, Subtech DP, quad tip sti mufflers, it’s lowered and tuned to 95.

I also have a full 3” invidia Q300 system in storage, money for the GS TMIC and have considered tuning it to 98/100 oc, but haven’t installed it yet as I’m not sure where I want to go with my car yet. Would installing these 3 things on my auto really benefit me in terms of power gains along with general engine care (to remove knock etc)

I guess the plus plus side of putting it all on is if I get a 6S manual I can just transfer it over. Sorry to ramble on guys, I’m in a bit of a pickle with my car situation 😕

ill also get some photos posted of it to show you guys seems as I’ve not posted anything since I got it standard. I love it visually haha.

Dean

Edited by csrgm1915

• Admin

Upper engine cleaner sorts out deposits in the engine. Gets sprayed into the intake manifold. 

Can get it directly from Subaru.

All the auto’s have power limiting knock compared to the manuals. If I was you i’d grab a 6mt manual and swap everything over considering all the parts you already have. 

Adding those other bits won't help make much more power on the current car. The way the auto loads it and the super high compression makes them seemingly knock well before the manuals regardless of modifications.

It's a bummer Wanaka doesn't have that 100octane NPD fuel.

• Like 2

An on-board scan tool i.e. OBDLINK LX (purchased at Amazon) with BTSSM app to monitor your car's health is something that I have adopted to make sure my car is happy and healthy. I have learned so much from this.

Other stuff I do beside the regular six monthly servicing is cleaning the throttle body, clean the MAF sensor, apply a can of Subaru upper engine cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant from Lucas oil.

Before I started doing the stuff above on a regular basis, my car ran like sht.

• Like 1

Thank you both! I’ll be looking into the OBD link cable most def. if I’m deciding to go ahead and stay in the Legacy space.

@Andy_Mac I’ve just been told that Queenstown has 100 octane fuel at one of the petrol stations over there now, I’m guessing it’s one of the new ones by the airport. Would this fuel see a significant benefit to both auto/manuals? I’ve considered buying my fuel once a month now and getting 4/5 30 litre fuel tanks and filling them and keeping them in my storage u it if I did decide to go for a 98/100 octane tune

I think at the moment getting a 6SP manual may be the better option and transferring most of my stuff over and then selling my old car, I don’t think the amount of lose on the two would be massive either, maybe $2/3k?

Not sure what an Auto with 160K on it goes for without a little trade me research 

6 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

It's a bummer Wanaka doesn't have that 100octane NPD fuel.

Yeah the choices are either go to Cromwell for BP98 or to Queenstown for npd100.

5 hours ago, csrgm1915 said:

Thank you both! I’ll be looking into the OBD link cable most def. if I’m deciding to go ahead and stay in the Legacy space.

I’ve considered buying my fuel once a month now and getting 4/5 30 litre fuel tanks and filling them and keeping them in my storage u it if I did decide to go for a 98/100 octane tune

I have a tactrix in Wanaka that you can borrow if you just want to pull your ROM.

I have two 20L cans that I take to Cromwell every couple of weeks. I can usually get around 95L if I time it well and get a full tank. Keeps both of my cars going for a while.

@IZichard thank you that’ll be awesome if it’s possible, I’ll try and look into it a little more once I’ve made my mind up. I think I finally saw one of your cars last month too  park around Ryhme & Reason area, do you have a small ClubSub sticker on your car? 

Also good to hear its not just me whos of the mindset of doing “petrol runs” haha, makes me feel a bit better, especially now there’s 100 octane in QT too.

OK gents, let’s assume I buy the 6S Manual over the Golf R. Compared to my 5S Auto, if I transfer on to my new car/install the following, would I see vast gains compared to my Current car tuned to 95 (I want to say it feels only around 230 HP)

Installed/modded onto a 6S manual GTB - 

- Subtech 2.5” DP (unless I find a 3”)

- GS 3-Port BS

- GS/Perrin TMIC

- Invidia Q300 3” DP back system

- GFB Repons + Lowered (aesthetic/handling I know) 

- Remapped to 98/100 octane

I want to aim for high 200’s HP as the Golf R is around the 310HP mark with APR Stage 1 and to buy is $25K (111K’s) and only needs 98 fuel opposed to LGTB 6S $13.5K (161K’s) and with what I have already got and additional costs for the TMIC/Tune of say $2.5/3.K makes its $16.5K or $17.5K for anything else that may be advised by yourselves...

@Andy_Mac

I can afford either option but realistically should go down a wagon route being in Wanaka so I can put my roof box/bars on the new one before I sell the old one, alternatively I can buy a new foot pack for the one and do the same for the golf.

My last cost effective option is to install the 3” exhaust I have with a TMIC and tune it to 100 octane and see how it performs then 😕 ? 

Edited by csrgm1915

• Admin

Should get around 190wkw (255whp) without breaking a sweat. Not sure how it'll respond to 100octane but it should give a few kw more than on 98. Is the golf at 310 wheel hp or estimated engine hp?

Perrin TMIC is crap, it's just a thicker stock size core. Go GS if it fits. Think the fitment has been confirmed now but not 100% sure.

Unless you want the noise save 90 odd bucks and get the GFB Mach 2 which is essentially the same, but without the VTA port. 

At 160kkm it's worth factoring in a new fuel pump too.

Stock intake is still very good at those power levels but may be leaving a couple of kw on the table when compared to a more free flowing alternative. @Pappu1 will know.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:03 AM, csrgm1915 said:

@IZichard thank you that’ll be awesome if it’s possible, I’ll try and look into it a little more once I’ve made my mind up. I think I finally saw one of your cars last month too  park around Ryhme & Reason area, do you have a small ClubSub sticker on your car? 

Also good to hear its not just me whos of the mindset of doing “petrol runs” haha, makes me feel a bit better, especially now there’s 100 octane in QT too.

No problem, just pm me if you need to borrow it. Yeah that sounds like me, I have a little sticker at the bottom of the windscreen.

Yeah it is kinda annoying to have to drive so far but it is better then the engine knocking. I wish they would open an npd with 100 at 3 parks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IZichard said:

No problem, just pm me if you need to borrow it. Yeah that sounds like me, I have a little sticker at the bottom of the windscreen.

Yeah it is kinda annoying to have to drive so far but it is better then the engine knocking. I wish they would open an npd with 100 at 3 parks.

Cheers! I was on the NPD website just now and it’s confirmed that there’s one soon to be opened in Cromwell and it’ll have 100octane.....not 3 Parks but closer!! 

It was most def. your car that I saw too then 😁

@Andy_Mac Thanks! The Golf R is 199kw stock and 233Kw at Stage 1, I think that it’s ATW but I’d need to confirm that. 

I have the Repons already as I got it off a friend for $100 and set it to full re-circ on my auto. Nice to know the Perrin is trash as it’s cheaper than the GS TMIC so I had considered that first.

In regards to a fuel pump, do you mean an aftermarket one or a own replacement? If it’s aftermarket would you suggest injectors too or is it overkill considering the stock turbo is small. Orrrr is there a better/bigger turbo to consider or is that pointless too. 

I imagine Id be happy with high 200s anyway as the more I think about the Golf R it’ll cost me an extra $10k after factoring in the upgrades on a 6S GTB manual. 161Ks is a worry though for modding but I guess I can make the car as bulletproof as possible prior

• Like 1

• Admin

Just had a gander at the APR site. Those figures are at the engine so will be a fair bit lower at the wheels.

Either for a fuel pump really. The AEM 320lph pumps are overkill but have good reviews.

Keep the stock injectors. There aren't any drop in turbo’s for these that'll require bigger injectors.

2 hours ago, Pappu1 said:

the BL heads do make good power..

we had one running 224kw on a BL setup with some basic mods and still on subaru turbo in stock location

Great power for stock turbo.What are the mods?

was the stock turbo off a 07 gtb legacy i believe

had front mount and exhaust and boost controller

engine was a v7 207 short block with legacy heads

actually could have made more but we stopped there as owner was more than happy on that..

i reakon 230+ should have been achievable 

4 minutes ago, pl0x said:

td04 twin scroll? I thought they maxed a lot lower than that

something twin scroll vfXX ..

pretty sure what the 07 gtb came with

dont know the numbers off hand..

the ecu was stock tho as we remapped that for that setup.

Possibly same turbo as my bl,Vf45.Running nearly 20 psi with factory tmic,car made great torque.Jumped of the mark like a stabbed rat.Combination of high compression,factory tmic,turbo turning into a hair dryer and nanny ecu,fun denied.I’d love to be able to run flex fuel on this car.

7 minutes ago, pl0x said:

I see there are vf38, 44 & 45. I thought there were only vf38 & td04 (and that td04 was the biggest).

Was told by two tuners,Vf45 flows same as vf38 but has better top end without vf38 reliability issues.

potentially vf45 seems to ring a bell....

9 minutes ago, Dre said:

Possibly same turbo as my bl,Vf45.Running nearly 20 psi with factory tmic,car made great torque.Jumped of the mark like a stabbed rat.Combination of high compression,factory tmic,turbo turning into a hair dryer and nanny ecu,fun denied.I’d love to be able to run flex fuel on this car.

whats the deal with a nanny ecu lol

So is the general consensus that an 07 GTB 6S manual tuned to 100oct with a GS TMIC, Decat DP + 3” Catback Exhaust, GS 3Port BS, Intake (maybe not necessary) and a new OEM or AM Fuel Pump can safely make 200KW+? ... Without blowing the engine up etc. I just want a fast, reliable daily and that’s the only reason I’ve considered the Golf R too as no mods will be required haha.

Im a little lost with the turbo talk sorry, would a OEM turbo do the trick or should I have to fine another?  

Edited by csrgm1915
  • Like 1

• Admin

OEM is fine, facelift has VF45 or 44. Both are essentially the same. The one Pappu did will have had one of those two turbo’s. Don't expect results quite that high with the standard block as the high compression is the limiting factor when compared to the 207 short block

On 10/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, csrgm1915 said:

So is the general consensus that an 07 GTB 6S manual tuned to 100oct with a GS TMIC, Decat DP + 3” Catback Exhaust, GS 3Port BS, Intake (maybe not necessary) and a new OEM or AM Fuel Pump can safely make 200KW+? ... Without blowing the engine up etc. I just want a fast, reliable daily and that’s the only reason I’ve considered the Golf R too as no mods will be required haha.

Im a little lost with the turbo talk sorry, would a OEM turbo do the trick or should I have to fine another?  

possible ..200kw... yes

all in the tune i guess cos the mods are up to the task for this 

• Like 1