Shibe

Air Intake - What's my best option?

As per my image below, this is currently how my air intake is set up. Last owner took off half of the factory filter box and lost the intake feed that bolts to the front underneath the bonnet. Yes it sounds good but surely it's not that great in terms of efficiency? Is my best option here just to get a cold air intake? If so, recommendations for any? Also what the go with the MAF sensor when installing an aftermarket intake? I'm guessing some after market piping that accomodates the MAF sensor is needed too.  Excuse the million questions haha.

07 Impreza S-GT EJ20

7MWfpl4.jpg

Edited by Shibe
  • Sad 1

Most after market ones have the MAF mounting plate but you need a retune as the diameter of the pipe changes so the sensor is out.

look at process west or any other big brand. They a re in the $500 range without adding on the retune.

rhe factory box is actually really good and the scoop takes from the high air pressure point below the bonnet lip so is hard to beat.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Most after market ones have the MAF mounting plate but you need a retune as the diameter of the pipe changes so the sensor is out.

look at process west or any other big brand. They a re in the $500 range without adding on the retune.

rhe factory box is actually really good and the scoop takes from the high air pressure point below the bonnet lip so is hard to beat.

Aha yeah i've heard the factory one is great but the issue being i don't exactly have every piece for the factory intake haha

19 hours ago, Gripless said:

Forgot to ask, if you got piping the same size as the factory, would you still need a retune?

Otherwise I think i'll just try source the factory assembly to install

cheap option - cut the maf pipe out of the airbox and put a pod on the end of it and a nice alloy pipe to the join by the manifold

looks good (dependgin how well you cut it) and works fine

no need for retune in that instance ( on stock boost anyway)

52 minutes ago, TommyKB4 said:

Best tip - stay away from oiled filters. One way street to destroying your MAF.

The K&N ones are oiled aren't they? I have been running mine for 2 years with no issues so far.

How many km’s have you done in that 2 years? It just creates a film on the sensor that messes up readings in most cases so with how little you drive yours you might not be having any impact yet.

• Like 1

No issues with my intake, cleaned and oiled it about 6000km's ago, trick is to apply only the necessary amount of oil (not liberally) and give it adequate time to soak / "dry".

They make specific MAF sensor cleaners which I use once or twice a year depending on km's as even stock filters allow crap to be sucked in and coat the intact pipes (no car filter is fine enough to stop everything)

• Like 2

Honestly I would just hit up a wrecker and get the factory parts.

Or Partsouq.

Let me have a dig around.

EDIT: If I've got the right part number a genuine one appears to be about 40USD new, so, being a piece of relatively undesirable plastic, should be cheap as chips from a wrecker.

• Like 1