Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rev d single turbo

Gtbforme

Hi all, I've been collecting parts for a single turbo conversion I was going to do to my 98 bg5 GTB ej206 manual. (yeah weird, and wrong CR as it runs manual ecu, yet has reliably run for the two years I've owned it) but then I scored an 02 rev d bh5 yesterday with a blown primary. So now it seems sensible to put all single turbo stuff into the rev d as my bg5 has nothing wrong with it (yet). I understand it's a bit of a different process, but I think I have most of what I'll need. I have a td06 20g, full length tuned headers (slip joint type), 3" down pipe, fmic setup, greddy emange ultimate piggy back ecu (just gonna buy a harness, CBF with repin or splice), tial 44mm external wastegate, blitz bov. I also have half a WRX in parts and a spare motor to scavenge parts from. So what I want to know at this point is if anyone has used the factory ecu in the rev d to go single? I believe they are tunable? And other than the wiring and different intake, is there a hell of a lot of difference in the actual physical process of swapping everything over? I read the single turbo thread, am I able to largely follow that? Or is it a completely different game?

Edited by Gtbforme

G'day, welcome to the forum and welcome to the ever increasing ST conversion club 

With the Rev-D it is really simple, just follow the Single Turbo conversion thread for all the hardware changes, blocking oil lines etc but no need to make any ECU changes. It is tunable so you just flash the stock Denso ECU with a WRX STI ROM and tune it from there. 

Dont wast time with any piggyback ECU 

Have a read of the conversions done on here. there are a number of Rev-D conversions kicking around including a couple of my own. 

• Like 2

Well that's bloody good news. How do they go about tuning the rev d denso ecu? Where do you send it to be reflashed? Seems like the greddy piggyback along with the sti flashed ecu would offer a world of tuning possibilities. I like the idea of having everything accessable from my laptop which the greddy allows for. Anyone done a td06? Any difficulty with oil or water feed? Front mount should keep everything fairly accessable with heaps of room I'm hoping

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A_J_T said:

It is tunable so you just flash the stock Denso ECU with a WRX STI ROM and tune it from there. 

From memory the EJ207 has always had some sort of AVCS. So the base WRX STI tune won't exactly work?

Just thinking in terms of drive ability. Cos how I'll probably do mine being based up North is drive to Auckland for a tune. Unless Chequered Flag up here end up getting a dyno. 

Edited by Individualities
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Individualities said:

From memory the EJ207 has always had some sort of AVCS. So the base WRX STI tune won't exactly work?

Just thinking in terms of drive ability. Cos how I'll probably do mine being based up North is drive to Auckland for a tune. Unless Chequered Flag up here end up getting a dyno. 

V5/V6 Wrx Sti do not

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Individualities said:

You are correct, but you can simply zero out all the AVCS tables rendering it disabled. Mine was flashed and tuned with a V7 STI rom that way 

Now i'm on the carberry rom which operates similar, it has AVCS capability but i'm not using it 

In regards to getting it to the tune location, it will drive absolutely fine on the TT ROM

16 hours ago, Gtbforme said:

Well that's bloody good news. How do they go about tuning the rev d denso ecu? Where do you send it to be reflashed? Seems like the greddy piggyback along with the sti flashed ecu would offer a world of tuning possibilities. I like the idea of having everything accessable from my laptop which the greddy allows for. Anyone done a td06? Any difficulty with oil or water feed? Front mount should keep everything fairly accessable with heaps of room I'm hoping

TD06 should be fine, oil and water feed is normal Subaru layout. Going FMIC is smart as you said it frees up space.

In regards to the ECU, you can connect to it with a Tactrix cable and log everything and flash changes directly to the ECU. pretty sure the Greddy unit wont be worth the while. The only thing I can think of is if the Greddy allows for on the fly real time changes to the map? 

Check this thread out mate.

Edited by A_J_T

Its the greddy emange ultimate, has 2step, full data logging, tuning etc.its apparently as close to a stand alone ecu  as you can get, well according to their add haha.Just realised the greddy ecu I have for my turbo kit was from a v7 still WRX, went and checked the wiring harness, and it's the right one for the denso. I don't have to do anything at all, it just plugs right on in!!!! WINNING. So do I still need to flash an sti map onto the denso? Or is the greddy likely to be capable of utilising what it needs from the denso while ignoring the TT stuff?thanks heaps for the info much appreciated

just a reflash is perfect and all that feature is availble on the stock ecu

there is a 0 cost for ecu in the rev d change over to single turbo

you can do a greddy piggyback if you want to but its not going to get anythng the stock ecu cant

have tuned a few with td06 and they go pretty well

• Like 1

That's hard out. The way I saw it was, I have a $1000 ecu sitting around, and it has the loom for my car. Seems odd it was ever setup for that plug layout if it were pointless.i mean getting a reflash or buying cables I've not heard of seems a lot more hassle and cost and time, then just plugging in the ecu I have right in front of me that's already setup for a v7 sti. Or am I missing something? 

Edited by Gtbforme
Auto correct

20 minutes ago, Gtbforme said:

That's hard out. The way I saw it was, I have a $1000 ecu sitting around, and it has the loom for my car. Seems odd it was ever setup for that plug layout if it were pointless.i mean getting a reflash or buying cables I've not heard of seems a lot more hassle and cost and time, then just plugging in the ecu I have right in front of me that's already setup for a v7 sti. Or am I missing something? 

By the sounds of it the Greddy unit will flash data onto the stock ECU. Unsure never seen one before. regardless of what you go for you will need it reflashed anyway. You cant just toss in the Greddy and go, It sounds like the Greddy unit is currently mapped for a V7 STI so at minimum you will need to compensate for the higher compression ratio I would think. WRX STI runs 8:1 cr while the Rev-D is 9:1. 

Long story short, unless you plan on tuning it yourself i'd stick with the stock ECU as its much simpler, less to go wrong and more common for ease of tuning.. sell the piggyback for some cash back 

Ajt that's the advice I was looking for thanks. Right now I just want to get it running, I'm very interested in learning to tune myself at some point. The greddy just has a normal usb cable to connect laptop, and has switches for multiple tunes and setups, also the 2step launch control. But if the standard ecu is easy enough to hook up to a laptop via the cable that comes with the OBD2 plug suggested earlier, and I'm going to have to buy it to flash the ecu anyway I might as well stick with the standard one. Wouldn't the sti map ROM that I have to flash onto the standard ecu also be the wrong CR? So either way requiring a tune? 

http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/e-manage-ultimate/

Edited by Gtbforme

@Gtbforme If you plan to self learn and do some tuning then i'd look into using the GReddy further. If it allows on the fly tuning then its absolutely worthwhile getting it setup. thats the only advantage i can see it having... Stock ECU can do everything, Launch control, multiple boost maps etc.. but one of the major limiting factors and frustrations with the stock ECU is you have to stop the car and connect a jumper every time you want to flash changes. if you could dial in base timing and boost while on the move that would be a massive gain, especially while learning.. imo anyway. 

• Like 1

To best to of my understanding it does offer on the fly tuning, it just utilises the factory sensors and loom.however the denso sounds like a pretty kick ass factory computer, how awesome of Subaru to allow us such control over our cars from factory. I got this car for a set of mags straight swap, with blown primary.smoking up a storm. And it just happens to be exactly what I want. I saw the car on Facebook and my mate who was down visiting picked me up with the mags and dropped me in West Auckland with the mags and my tools at this Tongan dudes house. I disconnected the primary oil feed an blocked it, and limped 2 hours home with no boost haha.good mission

• Like 3

Sweet got turbos and downpipes off yesterday, primary was disintegrated.do I actually need to replace oil return? Is the standard secondary oil return too small? Looks like a prick of a job getting that out haha

Sorry about my video work haha I'm no youtuber

• Like 1

Usually my camera records in landscape which ever way I hold it. I didn't realise the setting was off. I will endeavour to film in landscape for the rest of my build haha. Will definitely film the entire process, need a tripod or something

• Like 1

I've never seen one of these small turbos do that haha. Hopefully shavings from the comp wheel have not gotten into valve seats or anything. 

Power wise with a TD06 you are probably looking at 230ish kw depending how well its tuned. Open deck blocks are good for that.. injectors will be the limiting factor here I think. 

• Like 2

I drove back from Auckland to whitianga like that and it still seems to run alright, fingers crossed haha.ive been flat out with work, hoping to smash out a big chunk of the work this weekend, put another (landscape) vlog up on YouTube

• Like 1