Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Track width conversion front end and Group N Mounts.

Subru

Currently wating for 2 sets of bushes to arrive then i can reassemble everything.

May have f'd up and made a rookie mistake when changing engine mounts. Just got the driver side mount done. I jacked the engine up under the oil pan but I didnt have a peice of wood or anything the correct size so I just stuffed a bunch of rags between the pan and jack and thought it would be fine so it would spread the weight across the pan however I may have made a small dent in one area about 5-10mm deep. Is this a biggie or shall I take pan off next service and wack it out? Its pretty small tbh.

Edit: I found the engine mount nuts and bolts to be looser than expected. The bolts attaching mount to block were pretty loose, I was easily able to loosen them with a normal size spanner and a finger pushing it. The metal plate that joins to the rubber mount seemed only a tad tighter than finger tight. So far only done the driver side mount tho.

• Admin

Haha seems I'm not the only rookie to make that mistake. I just drained the oil and had a look around inside the hole with a torch. Could see and feel there was ample clearance between the pickup and the bottom of the sump so just left it as it was. May be a bit harder to check with a single scroll sump but not too sure.

• Like 1

Wow this is just great...

I have my correct size bushes so I decided to start getting them partially mounted untill I found out that my left side mount for where my front lower control arm bush bolts to is bent about 10mm to the rear of the car. The stock arms/bushes just fit but alloy arms with big whiteline bushes dont even come close to fitting. Did a measurement on each side of the car and they came up 10mm difference. I can get the front bush in (just) but the rear bush/mounting bolts dont line up to the bolt holes at all. Any ideas what to do?

At the very least I can transfer my anti lift kit to my old arms but that means I just wasted a bunch of time and money :(.

Front bush in:

20181109-214957.jpg

Rear far away from lining up and cannot pull it enough to get it to line up:

20181109-215004.jpg

5 minutes ago, Individualities said:

That would imply that the subframe is bent off the top of my head :(

Yeah the subframe bolts to the mount so I guess your right.

Just my luck...

I might see if I can get a oem or similar front bush as its a different shape and I bet that will fit. Just maybe I can still use those alloy arms...

Bush like this:

20181106-104041-1.jpg

The ALK moves the rear mount point of the LCA so it is definitely a lot more difficult to get the bolts to line up than the factory setup. I'm guessing the beefier front bush is making your life harder. The subframe being bent seems the most unlikely situation so i'm just going to assume it isn't. 

Try it in this order, put the front inner bolt on the LCA half in (not all the way through the subframe). Then lean on the LCA hard with a bar so you can line up and get the two bolts for the ALK in (keep the big nut on the ALK loose to make this easier). Then you will have to get the front LCA bolt the rest of the way through the other side of the subframe, this will probably also require some kind of hard leaning with a bar on the LCA or the bolt and some light taps with a hammer (soft blow).

If it fit with the stock arm then it will fit with the ALK too, it will probably just take a bunch of effort to line it up. If you think the subframe is bent you could try the other side first.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RaKid said:

Just a moral support comment that I've used very frequently to keep me going in times like this. 'If it was easy, everyone would do it.' Very few people modify cars, so keep going and stick at it.

Yeah sometimes you just reach that point where nothing seems like it’s working, you’ve been at it for way longer than you expected. Then you smash you knuckles on a sharp bit, they start bleeding everywhere and you feel at rock bottom. There is a great sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing that your blood, sweat and tears are why the car looks/drives the way it does, but in the moment it sometimes doesn’t feel like it is worth it.

• Like 1