Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Impreza EZ30 Swap

Subru

I have been thinking (again lol) about an EZ30/36 swap in an Impreza/wrx body.

Done some research and seem like its a case of finding an EZ30 with gearbox, modify wiring to suit the body to the engine, aftermarket ECU(?) and modify radiator location.

I assume there would also be other stuff like fuel pumps I may need to upgrade too.

Has anyone had experience with a swap like this and is it as easy as it sounds? I like the idea of being able to do a swap by myself with basic tools and not needing a shop to make custom mounts etc.

• Like 3

• Admin

Maybe have a chat to possumborne. Not sure how much of the build they did but they had a late model one that was converted to a H6 just recently up there. Was going for big power so imagine the build price was extraordinary.

What's the end goal? Adding a turbo to it or staying N/A?

You’ll be talking a fair bit of custom stuff To get things fitting since a H6 has never been offered for an impreza. Not sure why you’d need a new gearbox, your current 6mt will fit up to it. 

15 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Maybe have a chat to possumborne. Not sure how much of the build they did but they had a late model one that was converted to a H6 just recently up there. Was going for big power so imagine the build price was extraordinary.

What's the end goal? Adding a turbo to it or staying N/A?

You’ll be talking a fair bit of custom stuff To get things fitting since a H6 has never been offered for an impreza. Not sure why you’d need a new gearbox, your current 6mt will fit up to it. 

I was not thinking about my car. I was thinking about a gc gf chassie impreza and just having an NA H6 in there. Nothing too special.

Im not sure if the factory gearboxes from the 1.6-1.8na gearboxes will handle the torque of an H6 unless I could find a wrx or sti with no engine.

@Joker cheers ill take a look tonight.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Subru said:

Yeah MCM's was in a legacy with a turbos and and stuff. That build was pretty cool.

Marty's daily - SuperGramps.

It's a EZ36 with a Garret turbo (can't remember turbo model).

This guy in NZ did a EZ30 out of a BL/BP Legacy with a 6 speed into a old Impreza wagon.

Runs a Link G4 ECU. Few videos on his channel about it.

I seriously think you should consider this swap though... 13B Impreza 9_9

If you are totally seriously, you need to do the BL/BP EZ30, because of the 3 exhaust port heads and AVCS that the BE/BH (first gen EZ30) didn't get.

I've always wanted to do something similar, but BP wagon manual, Centrifugal Supercharger, FlexFuel, and thats that. Be a wicked daily/road trip car in my opinion.

Edited by Individualities

2 minutes ago, Individualities said:

Marty's daily - SuperGramps.

It's a EZ36 with a Garret turbo (can't remember turbo model).

This guy in NZ did a EZ30 out of a BL/BP Legacy with a 6 speed into a old Impreza wagon.

Runs a Link G4 ECU. Few videos on his channel about it.

I seriously think you should consider this swap though... 13B Impreza 9_9

Haha 13b wouldnt be difficult or expensive xD. Would be cool tho lol

4 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

I was thinking a little GC Impreza with a plain old EZ30 w/factory ECU would be a fun daily driver. And pretty good on gas. It doesn't need to be a rocketship drag queen.

I was thinking the same, a whole bunch of torque everywhere and no lag with a nice 6 cylinder exhaust noise to go with it, perfect daily.

Even my Sti is a bit annoying to daily because its just warmed up when I get to work 15 mins away so I have to baby it the whole way off boost. :(

On 11/19/2018 at 6:04 PM, Andy_Mac said:

The older single ex port BE/BH 3.0’s should work a treat on a stock ECU. BL/BP ones are considerably more complicated and would need a crap tonne of electrical know-how to get running without a Link, if possible at all...

The guy in NZ that did the BL/BP EZ30 swap into a GC chassis used a Link G4+. Mind you, that car took him like 5 years lol.

The EZ30 from the BL/BP is more complicated due to having AVCS (& AVLS?) on the intake cam. Plus it has Drive By Wire Throttle and all that economy stuff, that you basically remap to be like a cable throttle.

I've thought about doing this swap myself, into a BH Legacy - kinda like @whitebait19's Lancaster, but with the BL/BP EZ30 and a 6 speed.

Seeing that beautiful car around town a fair bit doesn't help with the temptation too :|

Edited by Individualities
  • Like 2

A mate has done it recently into a bc5, took him a month or two but knows what he is doing and has the tools.

Made a radiator top joiner/cross over pipe so he could use a factory rad, seems to be working.

Link g4 extreme, wired using factory engine loom and link a/b looms

Falcon throttle body (bolt on i think), unsure on what throttle cable he used.

Still not cheap.

3 hours ago, pl0x said:

A mate has done it recently into a bc5, took him a month or two but knows what he is doing and has the tools.

Made a radiator top joiner/cross over pipe so he could use a factory rad, seems to be working.

Link g4 extreme, wired using factory engine loom and link a/b looms

Falcon throttle body (bolt on i think), unsure on what throttle cable he used.

Still not cheap.

Which EZ30 did he use? The first gen (came in BE/BH), or 2nd gen (BL/BP)?