Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP5 07 Legacy GT Turbo Options

csrgm1915

Good afternoon all!

So my car was burning oil and so I took it in to the garage and they have came back and advised that my turbo is most likely the cause. It hasnt completely gone but has a lot of play and is in need of repair/replacement with some internals no doubt.

My question to everyone is do I send it up to Turbo Tech in Christchurch to be dismantled, repaired and rebuilt or do I look at bigger or alternative turbo options for my wagon? If so, which?

I feel fortunate that the turbo hadnt  completely died on me! 

Ideally a bigger turbo would be better (more power?) but I’m also looking at cost effective options too. I have $2/3K for the repair and replacement all up (at the moment) so any advice would be greatly appreciated, as always!

Edited by csrgm1915

1 hour ago, iludez said:

Second hand bigger turbo from trade me? 2/3k seems excessive

Thats just my budget, I don’t want to spend that amount if possible! Haha!

Do you know what turbos would be bolt ons?

Edited by csrgm1915

My Steve Murch Td05 20g single scroll along with 2013 sti single scroll headers will be up for sale. My car made 249KW at the wheels. You will have to upgrade your fuel pump/injectors and get a down pipe made and get a tune. Have a look at my build thread. There is a dyno chart of it.

Once you start upgrading turbos and all it's a slippery slope lol.

• Like 1

• Admin

VF44/45’s are pretty compared to the older VF38’s. Try get one of those as they are what you currently have.

The one pl0x listed will work. Alternatively drivenperformance do them locally too.

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products-page/kinugawa/kinugawa-japan-td04hla-20t-gtx-legacy-bp5-bl5-twin-scroll-upgrade-turbo/

The 19t is cheaper and sized to give the same performance as the OEM turbo.

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products-page/kinugawa/kinugawa-japan-td04hla-19t-gtx-legacy-bp5-bl5-twin-scroll-turbo/

Thanks heaps everyone!!

Funnily enough I was looking at both of those two turbos as viable options.

Can anyone confirm if I would need to have my car tuned or work on the headers etc if I did buy one?

If they’re a straight swap then it’s even better as my tune shop is a 6 hour one way drive away!

On 11/23/2018 at 5:49 PM, Andy_Mac said:

VF44/45’s are pretty compared to the older VF38’s. Try get one of those as they are what you currently have.

The one pl0x listed will work. Alternatively drivenperformance do them locally too.

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products-page/kinugawa/kinugawa-japan-td04hla-20t-gtx-legacy-bp5-bl5-twin-scroll-upgrade-turbo/

The 19t is cheaper and sized to give the same performance as the OEM turbo.

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products-page/kinugawa/kinugawa-japan-td04hla-19t-gtx-legacy-bp5-bl5-twin-scroll-turbo/

Would it need a tune? My cars already tuned so I wonder if the 19T would be better if it’s similar to OEM as my cars been tuned to that.

Last but important question is, do these turbo bolt straight on to an automatic? I’m not sure if the engine layout is any different?

Its factory bolt in turbo so headers etc it will be fine.

I'm not 100% on a air flow metered cars once tuned but I'd say it's not ideal without a tune & safer to get it tuned. Also you won't get the benefit of the slightly bigger turbo without a tune so may as well get the standard replacement?

• Like 1

• Admin
43 minutes ago, csrgm1915 said:

Would it need a tune? My cars already tuned so I wonder if the 19T would be better if it’s similar to OEM as my cars been tuned to that.

Last but important question is, do these turbo bolt straight on to an automatic? I’m not sure if the engine layout is any different?

They bolt straight on. Believe some of the coolant/oil line inlets/outlets are slightly different to the VF turbo’s, they are the same fitment as the OEM TD04 the manual pre facelift got. From memory it's a matter of slightly tweaking lines, not full blown replacing them.

The 19T is specced to be essentially the same as stock. Differences are comparable to when changing between a vf38 and the later 44/45’s. 

Even the 20T is bloody close size wise, a 10% increase isn't a heap. Being an auto you're probably talking 250/260g/s max on the stock turbo then 280ish g/s with that one depending on how much the auto sucks out of it.

Don't take my word for it but i’d take a stab in the dark and say you won't be hitting any load points you wouldn't be hitting with the current turbo anyway.

But as pl0x said you won't make the most of it without a tune.

The biggest factor would be how worn the stock one was when you did have the tune and how thorough the tuner was with altering fuelling and timing limits. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! @Andy_Mac @pl0x

Ill find out what the standard one will cost and if it gets expensive then I’ll just bite the bullet and buy the 20T and get a tune and do it to 100 octane opposed to the 95 it’s currently tuned to...maybe it’ll eliminate the knock issues I had with it last time or at least allow for it to be tuned a little more?

Thats an interesting point about the first tune too Andy as you would have thought that they would have mentioned it to me if the turbo wasn’t in the best of health. Before/after the tune I noticed hardly any gain down low and only in the top end, which could have been explained by a worn/tired turbo due to spoiling issues?

Whats everyone’s thoughts on 95 v 100? Is the benefit going to be noticeable 🤨

I would say on a manual 100% but not sure with autos really.

10 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Even more so with an auto since the Legacy auto’s are more inclined to knock than the manuals.

Going from 95 to 98 gives a decent improvement on paper so 100 should be even better

Sounds good! 

Well if I did get a bigger turbo and swapped to 100, would I be safe to drive it to get it tuned? I don’t want to do any damage to my car on the way up and installing the new one before arriving there is the only option really 🤨

Hopefully it would just be a case of not as good turbo response/lag prior to a tune.

• Admin
35 minutes ago, csrgm1915 said:

Sounds good! 

Well if I did get a bigger turbo and swapped to 100, would I be safe to drive it to get it tuned? I don’t want to do any damage to my car on the way up and installing the new one before arriving there is the only option really 🤨

Hopefully it would just be a case of not as good turbo response/lag prior to a tune.

Yea you’ll be fine. Just don't go thrashing it if you're concerned. 

Would be a different story if you were doing injectors and an intake.