Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru NZ Authorised Dealer and Service Centre Review Thread

• Admin

Thought it is about time we have a review thread for all the " Subaru Authorised Dealers and Authorised Parts and Service Centres"  around New Zealand.

This way people can get an idea of where to go when dealing with recalls etc

A simple format for reviewing each dealer/service centre (just copy and paste and fill in):

Dealer/Service Centre Name: (https://www.subaru.co.nz/buying/locate-a-dealer)
Month/Year:
Category: (New Vehicle Purchase / Used Vehicle Purchase / Service / Parts)

Rating: (Out of 5 with 0 being worst service ever, 5 being best service ever)

Vehicle: Year and Model
Description: A description of dealings with Dealer/Service Centre

---

Related threads: Takata Airbag Recall

• Like 2

• Admin

I'll start us off :)

Dealer/Service Centre Name: Winger Subaru Greenlane
Month/Year: November 2018
Category: Service - Recall

Rating: 3 out of 5

Vehicle: 2011 Legacy
Description: Car needed recall work for 2 recalls (Takata Airbag recall and Wiper Motor cover). Both recalls were complete in less than a day with the car returned to me clean and assembled well. The only complaint was I asked for the service team to look at the heater/AC mix and mode actuators as I don't get any hot air on the passenger side and I can hear the actuators ticking away. They advised that they couldn't find a problem which I suspect is false and that they just forgot to check whilst the dash was out for the airbag recall. However, they did not charge me for investigating.

• Like 2

Dealer/Service Centre Name: Winger Sublab East Tamaki
Month/Year: December 2018
Category: Recall - Takata Airbag

Vehicle: 2007 Legacy

Rating: 0 out of 5
Description: Booked car in for airbag recall work. I rang them about a month prior and quizzed them about did they know how to do it without wrecking the dashpad, or damaging anything else. Was told yes they know how to do it without damaging anything, they have done hundreds of them, no worries. Cleaned the dash and interior of the car the day before, so there was no excuses or holdups. Dropped the car off at 8 in the morning, and asked them when they put the dash back in, please leave the central air-vent panel ( the one with the cubby and clock ( facelift car ) out ). No problem. Get a phone call just after midday, car is ready and we've left the radio / ac control panel out as requested. Um no. Had to put them right on that and they said ok we'll refit the radio. I walked down there a couple of hours later and picked up the car. 

Looks like the dirty pricks had done a suspension job right before they did my car, and didn't wash their hands in between! So the A pillar trim on both sides is covered in dirty greasy hand prints all up and down both sides, as well as a bit onto the head lining. The left A pillar trim isn't clipped in properly. They've managed to put a gouge in the steering wheel ( factory Momo ) in the middle at the top, right where it's staring you right in the face all the time, and, God only knows how, scratched the inside of the windscreen just below the rear view mirror. There are big scratches on the top of the steering column cover ( piece between the steering wheel and the dash ), and the ring around the gear lever ( facelift car ) was not refitted properly and is sitting up proud at the front half. After they've put the dash back in, they haven't bothered to give it and the inside of the windscreen a cursory wipe over to leave it in a state even close to how I gave it to them ( it was spotless ), just chuck it back together as quick as possible and off to wreck the next poor sucker's car.

Got to work the next day and opened the door to get out, and the trim panel on the end of the dash fell out, another piece not refitted properly. So I put that back in properly when I got home, and also had to properly refit the lower footwell panel and the plastic trim piece the goes from the lower footwell panel to along the carpet edge on the sill. Spent 1 1/2 hours in the garage cleaning up the interior after this airbag abortion job. Managed to get the scratch / scuff off the inside of the windscreen using coarse glass polish, then did it with fine, then cleaner and finally sealer. Gave the dash a thorough cleaning, tried to get the gear lever trim ring to sit down but no luck, so I'll have to have another go when I've got more time. Only way to fix the column cover is to get a new one. Same for the steering wheel that's got a big nick in it and torn the leather surface. Got to find some kind of decent ulpholstery cleaner now to clean the A pillar trims, I just hope they aren't grease-stained.

The other thing is, considering that they screwed up just about everything they touched on my car, have they even fitted the new airbag correctly? Or is that loose or mis-aligned like everything else they touched? Will it work as designed in an accident, or either not work at all or explode and take my head off? I mean, if they can't put some plastic trims back in correctly, how are they going to be able to install an airbag correctly?? Think I might be pulling the dash out myself to give everything a once over.

So to sum it up, really REALLY f***ing pissed right off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way I will every go back to Sublab East Tamaki for anything every again. My car was even purchased brand new from Winger Subaru, and had it's pre purchase once over done at SubLab East Tamaki ( I know 'cos it's stamped in the service book ). If this is how they treat "their own" cars, how do they treat cars that weren't bought from them?? 

I emailed Subaru NZ, and 4 business days later have had no reply whatsoever, so that pretty much sums it up for me. They just don't give a s***, and neither do their authorised dealers. Very, very disappointing. Probably my first and last Subaru based on this experience. No good making a nice car if your service is absolutely appalling.

Edited by BMCracer
Added vehicle line
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Dealer/Service Centre Name: Winger North Shore
Month/Year: May 2018
Category: 100,000 KM service / Cambelt

Vehicle: 2006 Legacy GT Spec B

Rating: 4 out of 5
Description: Bit late adding this, Since purchasing my vehicle from Winger North Shore, I've conducted it's 10,000km service there yearly. Been generally good experience and reasonable pricing and vehicle is always returned well groomed..  The time was due for cambelt replacement / 100,000km service.  Overall everything was as expected, including work carried out for cambelt replacement.  Yes price was an arm and a leg, however I was expecting that for Cambelt work.

Oddly I don't think they replaced the water pump, at least it wasn't noted in the itemised detail of work.  So I queried it with them as I thought it was usually replaced during camblet replacement, they advised it wasn't necessary to replace at this time.  So we will see..

• Like 1

Dealer: Subaru NZ/Subaru Armstrong lower hut/combo 

Month/Year: Sometime last year 

Category: Recall 

Vehicle: 2006 STI RA-R

Raring: 7/10

Description: There was 2 recalls for the RA-R, one was for the airbag, the other for the Red STI under manifold inlet pipe touching the fuel rails and causing a fire risk. 

I emailed using their website and got a fairly prompt reply, only problem is they ignored the under manifold pipe and only gave me a customer number for the airbag. 

So I did what all good internet warriors do and took to Facebook, I messaged their Facebook page and explained how rare it was, that it was never sold out of Japan, etc etc. if they could do anything, or if I was doomed to one day burst into flames and die a fiery death. 

They promptly replied again, and said they’d have to contact Subaru Japan as to what the go is. 

A fair air time later I receive a message saying that STI Japan was coming to the party and my parts were on their way. 

Booked it in with Armstrong lower hut, drove it out there at about 2.45 and they said it’d be done by 5pm, but I lived far away and had to go so they gave me a Pugeot 207 to take home, most gutless 207 I’ve ever driven, but hey. At least it was a 207? 😉

Before leaving I asked to see the parts, and what was involved. They let me see the box of parts, it was just the attachments to the pipe, not a replacement pipe itself, I asked if I could keep the old parts but they refused. Much sad. 

In with the parts was a 3-4 page A4 sized step by step instructions, with photos, on how to replace the pipe. 

Oh man, that was so sweet. I love STI Japan, they didn’t let me keep that either. 

I basically begged them to make sure it came back with no dash rattles, as it had absolutely none and luckily it still doesn’t. 

And nagged their workshop manager to emphasise that I’d know if they took it for a thrash. 

I got a call early next morning saying it was done, ready for pick up, and washed. 

I didnt want want them to wash it, but oh well. 

So all in all there was a bit of F*** around on the beginning but it got sorted out and to a good standard that I was happy with. 

(Most people know how much of a C*** I am, so any form of praise is fairly rare, lol) 

The parts guy with the glasses there is also very good to deal with. I took the RA-R in one day just to get some filters and crush washers, he came out and had a look and spotted things about it no one else has ever noticed. 

• Like 3