Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo Chra Cartridge Swap Help?

AVZ 511

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and i have recently bought a 2003 Legacy B-Spec EJ20 Engine 2L Turbo (VF38)

I bought it with the Turbo damaged.

I took the Turbo out and have ordered a new balanced aftermarket turbo cartridge on Ebay.

Are there instructions and/or tips on how to time the cartridge to the housing?

Also do you recommend aftermarket upgraded braided oil lines, bolts, studs etc?

Also tips on priming the turbo and common mistakes made on these turbo repairs are welcome.

Thanks Heaps!

link with Turbo Line/Gasket Kit I am looking at: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Install-Line-Gasket-Kit-For-Subaru-Legacy-Liberty-IHI-RHF5H-VF40-VF52/172643957652

link with Cartridge I bought: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RHF5H-VF38-VF40-Turbo-Cartridge-CHRA-for-Subaru-Liberty-Lagacy-GT-Outback-XT/323172693791?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I took my old broken Turbo Charger apart and found what looked like a piece of steel wool/wire stuck in the narrow airflow passage on the exhaust side also the rotor blades on the intake side looked pretty bad. No I dea how the steel wire has gotten into it, anyone any ideas? o.O

• Like 1

You can prime engine by unplugging crank/cam sensors and turning the engine over until the oil light turns off. That's how the older models work anyway, dunno that much about newer stuff.

Replacing a core should be pretty straight forward. Make sure oil lines aren't blocked, put new copper banjo washes on to while you're there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I have replaced the core and all the lines, I struggled to put a clip around the oil return pipe that drains the oil from the turbo down into the sump.

I left it thinking there is no pressure on that line/pipe? If I have driven the car for a few miles there's a bit of smoke from oil burning coming of the exhaust underneath the turbo.

Is there a way of putting a clip around the drain pipe with the turbo fitted? Thanks heaps for any answers!

• Like 1

Use a hose clip and get it on using a 1/4 ratchet and extensions, go in under the brake master cylinder near the chassis rail. It's a right PITA and not something that I enjoy having to do. I've never found the pliers method to be all that easy plus the clips are almost always old and crappy/don't seal that well. New rubber line is advisable if yours perished or brittle as they can leak .  

• Like 4

Thanks for your replies 'Joker' and 'slystiguy' 

I will source a new hose today and try fitting it. 

I had to modify and adjust some of the brackets and shields to get my flexi braided hoses fitted and I don't like the idea of unbolting the turbo taking them off again since they are sitting nice and snug, but I have that uneasy feeling that may have have to.   

• Like 1