Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GC8 STIs - which one to buy

Personally I have always felt that the interior in the v4,5,6 is a huge improvement over the older cars. I also think they have a better looking front end with the updated scoop/grills on the bonnet. The engine layout is also more similar to the more modern wrx/stis with the turbo inlet pipe running under the intake manifold. That is just my opinion.

Mostly it is just personal preference between the versions as it is fundementally the same chassis with minor revisions.

Be careful when buying to check for developing rust around the front/rear windscreen, the boot and around the rear wheel arch area. Many of the imports have come front rusty areas of japan and can be vunerable in these areas.

Are you buying it to drive it and put ks on it or as more of a weekend/collector? There are heaps of different options (ra, v-limited, 555) if you want something a little more ‘special.’

• Like 2

• General Member

Welcome to the forums!

as above I've been keeping eye out for a nice tidy V3- 6 STI

bonus points for 2 door (Type R) and or around the 100,000 KM mark (and Cambelt been done)

V3 and 4 are very similar and so are V5 or 6 (generations / sensors / ECU's etc)

5 minutes ago, harleyrabbison said:

Thanks guys, iZichard it ll definitely be a weekend car, currently trying to find a good RA - drove a normal version 3 at autospot yesterday, and it was pretty impressive for a 25 year old car! 

RAs seem pretty hard to find though, and japanese prices are climbing.... 

Good luck on the search! They won’t be getting cheaper anytime soon, especially with the Americans/Aussies getting more rights to import them.

This may be of use to you as it can tell you the specifics of each version, it’s weight, options, colours and which turbo, engine and transmission it was fitted with.

https://www.type-ra.com/impreza-timeline/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, harleyrabbison said:

Cool. I don't know since I haven't driven them back to back, but do the DCCD and the rear LSD actually make the car feel any different? seems like if I wanted those things it has to be RA or type R....  

Can't comment on that one sorry, I've never driven a DCCD box before. Maybe @GC8E2DD or @YoungOne could shed some light.

Edited by IZichard
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, harleyrabbison said:

Cool. I don't know since I haven't driven them back to back, but do the DCCD and the rear LSD actually make the car feel any different? seems like if I wanted those things it has to be RA or type R....  

Yes the DCCD with LSD does drive a lot different to a standard STI. The DCCD boxes are a lot closer ratio than standard so make the cars very snappy and feel fast which is really nice. Also in the general driving setting on the diff the power is split 70-30 to the rear. So you have a lot more drive going to the rear wheels than a standard STI. As you move up the settings this progressively locks the centre diff so in full lock mode you have a 50-50 torque split and fully locked centre diff. You would only use this on gravel though.

As a bonus the sti ra and type r limited also come with 4 pot front brakes and 2 pots rears. 

They also dont have ABS braking.

If you can definitely go for an RA or Type R .

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The R/RA gearbox makes for a very different driving experience. Lower ratios, 60% torque to the rear instead of %40... a real rear diff,

and DCCD. Some boxes will have a front lsd too... but just a viscous lsd. So better acceleration and much less of the understeer

you get in a normal STi setup... unless you crank the centre diff right up, in which case it will probably start to understeer.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joker said:

All them fancy diffs & things really only good if your driving to the limit? How are they in a daily for example?

They are only good for very hard driving. You could drive around with open diffs  all round and not even notice on a daily.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ginganinja said:

Always worth more bone stock

yeah mostly..Two markets really..

Bone stock for the purist and will over time become more valuable..

And tastefully modified with high quality components for owners that want something different from stock..

Merry xmas all club subbers..:)

• Like 2

go for the s201 if you're blind :)

go for the v5/6 RA/R V-Limited if you want the realistic classic that will appreciate, they'll hit big $$$ if its low k's

go for the V2 STi in 555 blue with 18x8 revolution Group A knock offs if you're a colin enthusiast

go for the gravel express if you go skiing 

go for v4 if you want the best driving experience for the $$$ as usually they're a bit cheaper due to the front bumper. 

Really something for everyone

Edited by YoungOne
  • Like 2