Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2003 Legacy GT-B E-Tune list of issues...

Gozer442

This is a followup to my intro...

Here's a list of items I have questions about regarding my new(to me) Legacy, which has the Boxter 2L Twin Turbo BH5. I'm just learning about Subarus as this is my first.

1. Acceleration from a standing start is awful! It's worse than the Nissan Tiida I rented a month ago when I first arrived in Auckland. Is this normal?

2. When I lift the rear hatch after some rain, water pours out of the internals of the hatch. Is this a common issue? What should I replace to seal it up?

3. I will be needing to replace the front discs and pads, and rear pads soon. What's the best price and place for ceramic pads and vented discs?

4. The rear red plastic lens on the hatch between the tail lights is cracked. Where or who can I get a replacement?

5. Where can I find a manual for the stock radio? It's the original 6 disc, with Mini disc in the main head unit. It's displaying a different # for the channels...is it because it's from Japan?

6. Where is the aerial located for the radio? The radio reception is bad.

7. With its twin turbos, I can't hear them at all! I'd love to hear the woosh-woosh sound sometimes!

8. It is toooo quiet. I'd love to hear the lower umble of the Boxter engine more, without it sounding like a zipper when the revs are higher.

I think that's it for now. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Greg

• Admin

Welcome along.

Acceleration from a standstill is normally pretty good for these due to the tiny turbo. Is it auto or manual? Being a rev D you can get a tune for it which should make it behave like a completely different car.

For pads and rotors there’s a few guys on here with BNT connections/employment that can get them at better prices, @D1Style is one and think maybe @Zeus was the other one, can't quite remember.

Imagine 2 and 4 are related. Ring around some local wreckers and you should find one reasonably priced without too much effort. Would be willing to bet once that's replaced the hatch will stop filling.

The radio numbers are always off by 10/12/14 for JDM vehicles as a band expander is needed due to Japan having a lower range for stations. I found with my old sedan the reception was rubbish with the expander inline. Going to an aftermarket HU resolved this and gave bluetooth which was something I was keen on anyway. Or you could try a better expander if you like the stock look.

A decent catback has these sounding pretty good. Can get them cheap from wreckers too.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy_mac. 

It's an auto trans with the Momo paddle wheel. The acceleration from the start is very bad and is concerning me if I have to get going for safety reasons...like a train coming! What do I need to load a tune(hardware, software, cables) and where can I get a tune?

I'll contact those two for parts...perfect!

That makes sence about the cracked lens. What wreckers do you suggest?

A new head unit may be the way to go. Do you know where the antenna is?

I'll check the wreckers for the cat back too.

Thanks for the help!

• Admin

@Pappu1 can sort you out with a road tune which is probably all you need for this car.

Not familiar with Auckland ones myself. SubaruSpeed.co.nz has two sedan ones for $125 so imagine that's about the going rate for them.

Partsworld.co.nz is a nationwide chain of wreckers which is probably a good place to start.

Not sure on the antenna for 3rd gen wagons. 4th gens have then in the rear glass so would guess they’re there too.

• Like 2

• Admin

That's where a lot of them are. Looks the same as the heater traces so not super easy to pinpoint.

I went down the route of fogging the car with a jug with the demister on to see if any of the lines didn't actually heat, didn't really work though haha. 

May even be in the side boot glass, some brands do it in there instead

I've got a service manual for an 00 I can send you if you want. Will be the same for most things. Had a gander in it just now. There’s an antenna amp above the passenger rear wheel from the looks of it but couldn't find the location of the antenna itself. Might find that isn't getting enough juice through the expander. Worth trying the reception with and without the expander inline if it's just a plugin one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

@Pappu1 can sort you out with a road tune which is probably all you need for this car.

Not familiar with Auckland ones myself. SubaruSpeed.co.nz has two sedan ones for $125 so imagine that's about the going rate for them.

Partsworld.co.nz is a nationwide chain of wreckers which is probably a good place to start.

Not sure on the antenna for 3rd gen wagons. 4th gens have then in the rear glass so would guess they’re there too.

had a similar issue in a TT before where ti issue trned out to be a faulty primary turbo - have you had it checked for functioning turbos and leaks etc>?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gozer442 said:

2. When I lift the rear hatch after some rain, water pours out of the internals of the hatch. Is this a common issue? What should I replace to seal it up?

4. The rear red plastic lens on the hatch between the tail lights is cracked. Where or who can I get a replacement?

Use some window sealant when you install a new garnish. All around the garnish, won't be noticeable if you are careful enough. Otherwise it'll be leaking anyway as foamy factory seals get hard and let water through.   

• Like 2

Thanks Sobanoodle. I've done a lot of restoration projects in the past. It doesn't matter what make or model of car...the seals all eventually do exactly what you said.

I had a closer look at the newer left side turbo...it has a VF33 stamped on it. Is it a stock sized unit? Is it the primary? 

@Pappu1 none that I can see. The engine bay looks clean, and the hoses are still soft from the ones I looked at on top. It may be a different situation under the intercooler. I might as well take the time to redo all the vacuum hoses, to get familiar with engine bay, and to know for sure that the hoses are all good. What diameter hose do I need to do the job? Also, while I'm in there with the intercooler off, what other maintenance should I do and easy mods to tackle?

therre are also hoses and vacume lines in the BBoD thats on the strut tower - make sure all atre intact

usually underside - there is a actuater under the intercooler check that as well..

a workshop can do a inlet pressure test in case its leaking boost from somewhere

the vf33 sounds like secondary i believe (vf32 being the primary for u)

On 1/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, KwS said:

it occurs to me that looking at photos of mine, i dont know where the antenna is on one! is it in the rear glass?

They're on the rear glass. If you look closely, you see that there's no vertical line between two of them. The upper one is your radio aerial.

Primary on the TT engines is passenger side. The little smol one.

In my recent experiences with the EJ208(/6), I've found that the secondary fails. I've had my secondary done. Primary (VF33) is MINT.

While you've got the intercooler off, replace the charge pipes from the turbos to intercooler with Silicone ones, rather than the concertina ones from factory. Negligible difference, but picks up a few HP (5 at most) - just smoothing out the air flow.

Edited by Individualities
  • Like 1

Vf33 is a primary turbo, vf32 is secondary for 3rd gen rev d models.

Vf33 being the large compressor outlet version which was only on some (manual?) Rev d Legacy models. Other 3rd gen rev d had the vf31 primary turbo.

Vf32 was the secondary turbo, common to all rev d legacy models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Jono24Thanks for the details! I'm surprised with the amount of power this 2.0L TT should be making, that when I floor the pedal at a standing start, it just sits there...thinks about moving...then crawls forward slowly. 

Also, I've noticed that there is a flutter/rattle at WOT or heavy acceleration. I've read that the original exhaust has a mechanical baffle which directs exhaust under different performance situations? Could this be a part of the cause of these issues? How do I check?

Thanks everyone!

9 hours ago, Individualities said:

They're on the rear glass. If you look closely, you see that there's no vertical line between two of them. The upper one is your radio aerial.

Primary on the TT engines is passenger side. The little smol one.

In my recent experiences with the EJ208(/6), I've found that the secondary fails. I've had my secondary done. Primary (VF33) is MINT.

While you've got the intercooler off, replace the charge pipes from the turbos to intercooler with Silicone ones, rather than the concertina ones from factory. Negligible difference, but picks up a few HP (5 at most) - just smoothing out the air flow.

Thanks! Is there someone on the forum that sells these? Do you have part#s?

Great info!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gozer442 said:

@Jono24Thanks for the details! I'm surprised with the amount of power this 2.0L TT should be making, that when I floor the pedal at a standing start, it just sits there...thinks about moving...then crawls forward slowly. 

Also, I've noticed that there is a flutter/rattle at WOT or heavy acceleration. I've read that the original exhaust has a mechanical baffle which directs exhaust under different performance situations? Could this be a part of the cause of these issues? How do I check?

Thanks everyone!

Thanks! Is there someone on the forum that sells these? Do you have part#s?

Great info!

Sounds to me like it might be in limp mode, do you run it on 98 octane? that rattle you mention could be it detonating/pinging which unfortunately these cars are known for as mine did it a lot until 98 was available where I live, although even on 98 they can ping...

Do you know what boost it is reading? PSI or BAR?

@TNHSTI I've been using Gull 98 for the last 3 fillups. It almost sounds like It, but it's from more under the car. I don't know what the boost PSI/BAR is. Is there a way to get the reading on the digital dash? It's a gauge I would like to get. What type should I be looking for?

This forum is great! Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gozer442 said:

@TNHSTI I've been using Gull 98 for the last 3 fillups. It almost sounds like It, but it's from more under the car. I don't know what the boost PSI/BAR is. Is there a way to get the reading on the digital dash? It's a gauge I would like to get. What type should I be looking for?

This forum is great! Thanks for all the help!

Hmm okay if your already on 98 its unlikely to be pinging, no the only way to get a boost reading is a boost gauge, any boost gauge will do me personally generally go for a defi gauge for looks etc but you will pay for one of them if you just want a temporary gauge to get a reading something like this would do

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/gauges/listing-1907049395.htm?rsqid=e82da3902d4b4bda93600a195c9fcf86

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gozer442 said:

Wow! All great information. Thanks!

I have a boost gauge coming. Thanks @iludez!

I have no engine check lights on...so how can I tell if it's in limp mode?

I can be hard to tell sometimes but once you have a gauge installed if its only doing half the boost which would be about 7 or 8 psi on primary then that is one indication 

• Like 1