Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Removing suspensions bushings

Hey there,

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove suspension bushings? I am replacing all bushings in front lower control arms and the rear trailing arms and subframe/diff etc.

Been attempting with a vice but is it a bit of heat that is needed?

Glad to hear any tips.

Cheers

• Admin

Getting some heat in there helps if they are super tight. Managed to snap a decent brand medium sized vice trying to get a bush out a couple of years ago so wouldn't recommend unless you have a large sized one

Or if they still won't budge then drill out the rubber ring then hacksaw the sleeve still left in the arm.

2 hours ago, ginganinja said:

Hey there,

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove suspension bushings? I am replacing all bushings in front lower control arms and the rear trailing arms and subframe/diff etc.

Glad to hear any tips.

Cheers

Which bushes are you stuck on? and whats the car

Getting the suspension arm one's out can usually be done with sockets and a press/vice (press is always better).

Subframe ones are usually total pricks to get out. In my experience I've burned the rubber out with a Oxy-eceteline torch, then cut the metal tubes out by putting a cut in them, and then they usually tap out.

If worst comes to - take the subframe out (and arms), and give it to a shop for them to remove the bushings, and fit the new ones (unless you're going polyeurathane).

2 hours ago, ginganinja said:

Hey there,

Glad to hear any tips.

Cheers

If you have alloy control arms do not use heat as they deform/or fatigue quite easily, or at least that's what the mechanic who did mine told me.

• Like 2

I managed all the rear lateral arms bushes with a small vice and some sockets.

The rear trailing arm front bush can be drilled and the outer sheath cut with a hack saw.

Rear trailing arm rear bush I used a gear puller and socket.

Rear diff out rigger bushes you can use a drill then a hack saw.

Rear diff cradle bushes the same... but not tried it without removing the whole thing from the car.

22 minutes ago, Loren said:

I managed all the rear lateral arms bushes with a small vice and some sockets.

The rear trailing arm front bush can be drilled and the outer sheath cut with a hack saw.

Rear trailing arm rear bush I used a gear puller and socket.

Rear diff out rigger bushes you can use a drill then a hack saw.

Rear diff cradle bushes the same... but not tried it without removing the whole thing from the car.

Yep, lateral arms were easy with sockets, and front trailing arm bushes I drilled out and cut with hacksaw, yet to pull out riggers from the car but will do tomorrow. Rear subframe is out so will drill and hacksaw cradle bushes.

I was wondering how to do trailing arm rear bushes, being on the hub itself they look like a pita. Thanks for the tip with gear puller though.

May have to revert to drilling and cutting A-arm front bushes too. Unless someone has a good tip for these.

Should have them all done tomorrow 😁