skdtime

Binding noise when turning?

Hey guys,

In my 05 b spec six speed legacy i get a binding noise and feel when the car is well warm and is turning. You cannot hear it when going fast but in car parks its supper noticeable. The strange thing is it only occurs when the car has been driving for 30+ mins before that you cant hear or feel anything. Its like knocking noise sort of like its imitating and LSD. When driving on gravel the back wheels will skip a little.

anyone know what the problem might be and if so a rough cost of repair? im just unsure why it only makes the noise when the cars warm quite loudly but its noticable at all when cold or barely been driven.

Cheers 

Only happens when you've got steering lock on?

If so, sounds like an outer CV joint is stuffed to me.

I wouldn't know cost of replacement, but if you're a handy person, and have the tools, shouldn't be too hard to do! Just be prepared to get CV grease (a pet hate of mine) all over your hands and lower arms - I would STRONGLY advise wearing some gloves while doing the job lol. Be a good time to do the inner CV boot too if it's looking worse for wear.

Stuffed centre diff. Super common for these cars. Once warmed up they bind to varying extents when making tight and slow turns.

CV’s are the cheaper and easier option to try first if you want but i’d put my money on the diff considering it only does it after driving for some time.

There’s an Aussie guy on the liberty forum and FB called Corgiwerx who rebuilds these. Have yet to hear anything bad about one of his, but works on an exchange basis so you need to send your stuffed one to him which obviously adds to the cost. As long as he has a spare one at the time he doesn't need your one straight away so you can remove the old and install the new at the same time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

There’s an Aussie guy on the liberty forum and FB called Corgiwerx who rebuilds these. Have yet to hear anything bad about one of his, but works on an exchange basis so you need to send your stuffed one to him which obviously adds to the cost. As long as he has a spare one at the time he doesn't need your one straight away so you can remove the old and install the new at the same time.

From the shifter bushing I've gotten from Corgiwerx (as has Andy_Mac), he seems like a top guy!

And everyone who's had anything from him sings him praises.

Only downside is that he's in Aussie...